I Love My City

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have yet to visit Buffalo - always wanted to though (and never in winter).

I miss 'my city' - it had everything within a 5 minute drive including 4 grocery stores and it felt like a small town. Nine months ago I moved my family back to the town that I grew up in because I found the home that I fell in love with. Last friday I sold my little house in 'my city'. Sad day indeed.

I can't stop looking at the lower picture. I can't wait for Spring.

There's nothing better than that first warm day. Even though it may only hit 60F, I'll still be wearing shorts and a t-shirt, drinking a beer, and firing up the grill.

Oh yeah. It is going to be an absolute mess when all the snow melts, but I'll be outside all day. Even yesterday when I left work, it was only about 20F but wall to wall sun. Haven't seen that in so long.

@supervisingchildren Those pictures make me miss home (where I grew up). My parents have 40 acres, half of which are woods with creeks running throughout. I practically grew up in those woods, camping, hunting and building things. So much fun.

I love the east koy. I usually hit it up on April 1st for opening day of inland trout, but I'll be working instead of taking off this year. Usually don't catch a thing on the 1st, so I'll just wait until when it warms up and the snow melts to get out fishing (like mid july at this rate).

I love the east koy. I usually hit it up on April 1st for opening day of inland trout, but I'll be working instead of taking off this year. Usually don't catch a thing on the 1st, so I'll just wait until when it warms up and the snow melts to get out fishing (like mid july at this rate).

I've never went fishing for trout, the best fishing I had was for Northern Pike up in Malartic, Quebec. Those things were crazy. Parents have a big pond out in Warsaw with some decent size bass in it that can put up a fun fight.

I've never went fishing for trout, the best fishing I had was for Northern Pike up in Malartic, Quebec. Those things were crazy. Parents have a big pond out in Warsaw with some decent size bass in it that can put up a fun fight.

Whaaaaaaaaat?:what: There's so many types of trout to go after here, from Lakers to Steelhead to inland Brookies.

I wish I had some land on a creek. Found out my fiancee's cousin's husband's mom (say that 10 times fast) lives on a creek I fish during the summer. Hoping to get permission to fish on her land this summer. :D

I love that there's so many types of fishing to be done in our area. First is from my last trip to the east koy, then the other two are on my buddy's boat on the niagara river. He got a nice pike and I landed a bunch of big bass.

View attachment 1425395418535.jpg

View attachment 1425395495794.jpg

View attachment 1425395608361.jpg

Nice action shot there!! Sweet bass too. I love a nice fight with a bass. But yeah man, just never knew anyone else that goes trout fishing so never really had a reason to. We used to fish off the pier at the foot of Ontario street (near where I live now) when I was little, but that doesn't really appeal to me now. It was a little different when my grandfather used to take me down there. Although I still hang out by the river Sunday mornings with a coffee. It's peaceful.

Nice action shot there!! Sweet bass too. I love a nice fight with a bass. But yeah man, just never knew anyone else that goes trout fishing so never really had a reason to. We used to fish off the pier at the foot of Ontario street (near where I live now) when I was little, but that doesn't really appeal to me now. It was a little different when my grandfather used to take me down there. Although I still hang out by the river Sunday mornings with a coffee. It's peaceful.

Well now I'll have to drag you out some time when it's nice out! I'll take my kids out to Glen park for some summer fishing, and the foot of ferry too.
Plenty of big bass have been caught on the foot of ferry. Also seen plenty of muskrats and rats too.:eek: The one day I hooked a bass on my ultralight, then had a musky come and grab it off my hook. It was crazy.

Nice Bass! Sorry, couldn't help it.

Thanks! So glad you noticed! :p

Daugther got a nice rainbow trout at the park last Easter. Brought it home and cooked it up for dinner. Fishing with family is always a good time, even if we don't catch a thing.

View attachment 1425397779786.jpg

View attachment 1425397994735.jpg

Daugther got a nice rainbow trout at the park last Easter. Brought it home and cooked it up for dinner. Fishing with family is always a good time, even if we don't catch a thing.

She caught that !?? So jealous... I'll have to see if I can find my box of old patches from scouts and pick out something cool from my troop for your boy, in trade for some homebrew of course.

Fishing is decent down the foot of Ferry? There are a lot of people screwing around on Ontario lately, although it is getting better especially after the new landscaping and lighting that was put in. It is a gorgeous place for a walk when the snow melts.

2vd4cc7.jpg

Fountain plaza downtown last year. We played trivia at a bar for a little while and our team won a trip to Labatt Blue HQ. Catered by a downtown restaurant and free craft beer all night. Amazing fun, not to mention we got to watch the sunset over the city from the 9th floor or so.

It's great to read about what's happening in Buffalo. I think this is a really exciting time for American cities, success stories like what you are talking about are happening across the country; it's awesome!

She caught that !?? So jealous... I'll have to see if I can find my box of old patches from scouts and pick out something cool from my troop for your boy, in trade for some homebrew of course.

Fishing is decent down the foot of Ferry? There are a lot of people screwing around on Ontario lately, although it is getting better especially after the new landscaping and lighting that was put in. It is a gorgeous place for a walk when the snow melts.

I casted that and she caught it on her own. Made me so proud haha.

I like what they're trying to do with the waterfront in the city and black rock. It'll take a lot of more work, but things are getting better.
We hit up the outside rink a few weeks ago and it was pretty cool to see so many people out and about during the freezing weather.

It's great to read about what's happening in Buffalo. I think this is a really exciting time for American cities, success stories like what you are talking about are happening across the country; it's awesome!

It's definitely heading in the right direction, especially with new breweries popping up. It's crazy to see pictures from the turn of the century when Buffalo was booming compared to where it's at now. Pretty cool history, and cool architecture.

I do not like cities... I like woods and tress that go for miles and no houses closer than 1/2 mile. I have lived in many cities:
Fort Wayne Indiana -- yuck!
Cleveland Ohio -- yuck
Miami Florida -- yuck
Grand Rapids Michigan -- yuck
Phoenix Arizona -- yuck
Long Beach California -- yuck
Petaluma California -- nice
San Fransisco California -- Love it only city I ever liked living in.
Big Rapids Michigan --yuck
I do not really live in the city of Big Rapids but it is only 5 miles away, it is pretty small but has two brew pubs (Crankers and the Blue Cow) the beer is okay, the food is good... not like eating at 5 star in downtown LA or SF but Big Rapids is just a little college town...

Anyone remember these? One of Buffalo's most embarassing moments. This was the Buffalo Bills version of the Terrible Towel. It was called the Whammy Weenie. Imagine 80,000 fans shaking their Whammy Weenies at the opponent for luck. My wife worked at Bells, and had to wear these on her head attached to 2 antennae.

I can still here Howard Cosell on Monday night football discussing it with Frank Gifford to a national audience.
(supply your own Gifford/Cosell voices):
  • Gifford: Howard - What are those green things that they're waving?
  • Cosell: Frank, that's a Whammy Weenie. You shake it for good luck.
  • Gifford: [Insert slightly off-color comment here]
  • Both: Laughter...

Yeesh...It went away soon after that. Can anyone guess why?

Actually Bells did too. I wonder if there was a connection?

102_0925.jpg

Anyone remember these?

Ugh dude haha.. I just found out about these last year. Went out to lunch with my boss and coworker, and my boss randomly mentioned this. Coworker said, "Yeah of course I remember, I had a job as the WW.. dressed up as him for it's debut game and had to run around on the field" or something to that effect. Unbelievable.

Glad I didn't watch football around that time.

Yeesh. Weather is sloppy. If anyone driving, be careful. Just had to remove huge blocks of snow and ice from driveway. Thanks plows :)

One of my coworkers is from the Buffalo area and we always send him sunny photos when he goes home to visit.

What isnt there to love about my city. A solid 300+ days of sunny warm weather, the ability to go to the desert one day, snowboarding the next, and surfing the next all between 5 minutes and 2 hours of driving, AND plenty of breweries to choose from. No complaints about San Diego. Too many things to do here, so if you're planning on visiting PM me and Ill put together an itinerary based on your preferences haha

I LOVE my island. Merritt Island Florida. Awesome weather year round. I just got out of our pool and we are sitting outside with cocktails. There are tons of great bars, restaurants and breweries within an hours drive. The beach is down the street and the boating and fishing is incredible. We watch rocket launches from our yard. It was cold 4 days this winter (40s) Life is very good here, I don't miss much of Ny.

One of my coworkers is from the Buffalo area and we always send him sunny photos when he goes home to visit.

My mother lives in Phoenix during the winter. She loves to call and tell me how warm it is there. I swear she monitors the Weather Channel looking for Buffalo snowstorms. She enjoys it.

I must have been a horrible child. :D

San Diego is really the only place currently on my list of places I want to visit in the states.

San Diego is really the only place currently on my list of places I want to visit in the states.

If you make it out here Ill have a (few) cold ones ready

My mother lives in Phoenix during the winter. She loves to call and tell me how warm it is there. I swear she monitors the Weather Channel looking for Buffalo snowstorms. She enjoys it.

I must have been a horrible child. :D

Our office is about 200 feet away from the beach, so we tend to send him pictures of the waves when he is sitting in the snow back home. :rockin:

It ended up being kind of a sad read. It is the only thing I find upsetting around here, all the amazing buildings that have, or are slated to be reduced to rubble. There is so much history getting torn down, but at least we are rebuilding. I wish I had the means and experience to open a brewpub around here.

I did take a drive by one of my favorite neighborhood buildings on Monday though. Love this place.

202nd_2009.jpg

Connecticut Street Armory

I hope they can save Buffalo Central Terminal.

Back