I love having "stuff" around!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This happens all the time- Bob is NOT mechanically inclined. Neither am I, really, but since I'm always messing around with something in the brewery, from a new RO system to a new pump or ball valve, I have assorted things lying around that most women don't tend to have.

Bob just came in from outside and asked me, "Do you have any teflon tape?" Sure, I answered, and went to get it. He thanked me and then looked at me and said, "I figured you'd have some!".

I don't have many tools, but they are always on my Christmas list! lschiavo taught me how to sweat copper, so I definitely would like a new torch. I'd really love a nice DeWalt cordless drill, since my little one isn't that powerful.

I love big box hardware stores. If I ever "go shopping", it's at our huge Ace Hardware or if I travel a bit, it's Home Depot or Lowe's. There is nothing better than looking at tools you can't afford to keep you humble.

I guess I'm lucky in that respect. I inherited the mother load of tools from my Grandpa. I've got pretty much everything you can think of except a mill. I take that back, I've been wanting to get a table saw for a while now. I still need to find someone that can show me how to use the lathe too, that would be cool. My biggest problem most of the time is finding the tools when I need them. I've always been the dumb one of the family when it comes to mechanical inclination and at first, I thought I would never use half of tools I have. But, after buying a house, doing remodeling and getting into DIY homebrew projects I have acquired a lot of vocational skills and now have a greater appreciation for the tools that were passed down to me.

I'll have to agree with you though, browsing the hardware store makes me feel like a kid in a candy factory.

I'll have to agree with you though, browsing the hardware store makes me feel like a kid in a candy factory.

I had a good time redo-ing my bathroom, and I actually like grouting porcelain tile. On another project I hired a kid to help, and we turned a small garage area into a bedroom at the cottage. Drywall, vinyl tile, walls, crown moulding, etc. It was a blast, but I didn't have the tools so the kid brought his. It's certainly not perfect, but I'm pretty proud of it! Bob didn't see it until it was done, as he hates dealing with projects, so he was quite surprised to see it finished!

One of my friends (lschiavo on this forum) has every tool imaginable and whenever I see one, I'll start with the questions, "What do you use this for? How does it work? What do you cut with it?", etc. He answers every one of my (dumb) questions. :D

Oh yeah. Saving pieces and parts comes in handy too. Nuts, bolts, odd clips and what-not. Scrap wood, metal, left overs from projects. Being able to fix something with what's o hand is nice. Don't have to go anywhere and spend money.

Oh yeah. Saving pieces and parts comes in handy too. Nuts, bolts, odd clips and what-not. Scrap wood, metal, left overs from projects. Being able to fix something with what's o hand is nice. Don't have to go anywhere and spend money.

Agreed. I used to wonder why my Dad would save all that stuff......now I know.

I like going to yard sales and buying tools and hardware from widows. I hope to collect enough stuff to rival my grandpas garage for odds and ends, and then my wife can sell it all to some deserving kid in her yard sale when I'm gone! (Since it doesn't look like my daughters are going to learn how they work)

I have to agree with everything said...I got a bunch of tools from my grandfather and ended up using the majority of them for one brew project or another.

My new favorite place for tools is estate sales. $8 near new circular saw? Yes please! The next important tool on my list is a mitre saw. Hope to find one soon.

Oh, yeah...having "stuff" around is a necessary evil! Yesterday, the entire toilet seat assembly in our half-bath was loose, so I decided to tighten it. Well, the assembly was replaced about two years ago, and the bolts that hold it to the bowl are plastic...and one bolt snapped right off! So, I went to my "stuff" and looked around and...sure enough, I had a pair of BRASS toilet seat bolts! So, loose seat is now fixed...thanks to my "stuff."

glenn514:mug:

Oh, yeah...having "stuff" around is a necessary evil! Yesterday, the entire toilet seat assembly in our half-bath was loose, so I decided to tighten it. Well, the assembly was replaced about two years ago, and the bolts that hold it to the bowl are plastic...and one bolt snapped right off! So, I went to my "stuff" and looked around and...sure enough, I had a pair of BRASS toilet seat bolts! So, loose seat is now fixed...thanks to my "stuff."

glenn514:mug:

Ah, man, I KNOW I don't happen to have a pair of brass toilet seat bolts around. Now I feel inadequate.

"Stuff" is more important out here past the boondocks. An hour hunting through piles of stuff in the shed is more productive than an hour drive to the "local" hardware store and back, if they have what you need.

Brewing "stuff" is most important, as you can't get it on the day you are half way through a brew session and something breaks.

I have my stuff, my dad's stuff, Micheal's stuff and some of my grandfather's stuff. I have a 24" crescent wrench that's almost 100 years old!

I keep looking at the new battery-powered drills, my Makita is starting to look like an antique and doesn't have a hammer-drill function. Can't afford one though.

I have tons of tools related to the electrical trade, since that is my livelihood. Other than that, though, I don't have a "lot" of stuff. But I do have as much as the next guy, I suppose.

We were incredibly poor, my father was rather challenged when it came to DIY.

If I wanted to keep it running, I had to do it myself. :fro:

After a lifetime of fixin & improving, I've learned to check my stuff before I ever go to Home Depot or Lowes. :D I'm running 80% I already have it.

Got a nice 20V compact DeWalt cordless drill with extra battery for my B-day. Sure will be better than that 12V Black and Decker that doesn't hold a charge anymore.

Bernie Brewer said:
I have tons of tools related to the electrical trade, since that is my livelihood. Other than that, though, I don't have a "lot" of stuff. But I do have as much as the next guy, I suppose.

That's mostly what I have too. We own a 10k square foot building for our business. If you can't find a part for a project there, you just didn't look hard enough. My dad is a serious pack rat.

The big tools, I go in with my dad and brother. We got a lot of cool stuff that way that I would never have bought on my own.

Homer, did you get an impact driver? I finally got one for work. They are awesome!

That's mostly what I have too. We own a 10k square foot building for our business. If you can't find a part for a project there, you just didn't look hard enough. My dad is a serious pack rat.

The big tools, I go in with my dad and brother. We got a lot of cool stuff that way that I would never have bought on my own.

Homer, did you get an impact driver? I finally got one for work. They are awesome!

You mean an impact wrench? I have a couple, but they are air powered. If you mean a hammer drill, it didn't come with the cordless I just got, but I have a HF corded drill that has it.

Impact drivers are god’s gift to the DIY homeowner!

I have acquired a ton of ‘stuff’ over the few years we've been in our house, a lot of it was handed down from my dad (he had a good excuse for buying new ‘stuff’ then!)

Harbor Freight Tools has been a great resource for my DIY lifestyle, especially brewing. From pond pumps, to step bits, to knock-outs, and now I even have compressed air tools (pneumatic nailers are awesome if you are building any fences/cabinets/etc), I have gotten some cool tools for really cheap there. Who cares about the crap Chinese quality, its not like I am using this stuff every day. I figure most of the stuff I buy there will make it through a few DIY projects for cheap enough that I dont mind replacing it once or twice. I even bought my miter saw there (on sale for $80 bucks).

You mean an impact wrench? I have a couple, but they are air powered. If you mean a hammer drill, it didn't come with the cordless I just got, but I have a HF corded drill that has it.

No not a wrench. Like this:

get

I can't believe the power these things have. I don't even consider my drill for driving screws anymore.

One of my friends (lschiavo on this forum) has every tool imaginable and whenever I see one, I'll start with the questions, "What do you use this for? How does it work? What do you cut with it?", etc. He answers every one of my (dumb) questions. :D

It's pretty cool that your are interested. I try to bring something different everytime we work on a project. On deck: The Trencher!

Yooper said:
When it comes to tools, I dont think there are any dumb questions!! Knowing what they are and what they're used for keeps everyone safe, ya know the saying "use the right tool for the job".. But using and learning the techniques for the tool is the fun part for mii :mug:

I'm the same way. I have odd and end hardware in my toolbox that I don't even remember what it's intended purpose was...but I know that when I need some sort of doo-dad to rig-a-fix something up...chances are I'll find a combination of stuff to make it work...for a while anyways :D

Wish I had more tools though. No table saw (just circular), have enough drills, no miter saw, no shop vac, no sawzall, band saw, jigsaw, etc. I guess saws are mostly what I want. Makes building things much easier. I also need a workbench and more clamps.

I'm the same way. I have odd and end hardware in my toolbox that I don't even remember what it's intended purpose was...but I know that when I need some sort of doo-dad to rig-a-fix something up...chances are I'll find a combination of stuff to make it work...for a while anyways :D

Wish I had more tools though. No table saw (just circular), have enough drills, no miter saw, no shop vac, no sawzall, band saw, jigsaw, etc. I guess saws are mostly what I want. Makes building things much easier. I also need a workbench and more clamps.

Just buy that miter saw! A stand for it is nice too but not necessary. That is the first real tool I bought and I cannot be without it. If you have a few hudred extra bucks get a sliding compound saw...you won't be sorry.

Just buy that miter saw! A stand for it is nice too but not necessary. That is the first real tool I bought and I cannot be without it. If you have a few hudred extra bucks get a sliding compound saw...you won't be sorry.

Mmmm, tools. Can't have enough tools. I got a nice Lithium drill today. Mmmm.

BTW, I have a Makita sliding compound miter saw that is incredible. It's a joy to use. Expensive, but probably the last one I'll own.

Big box stores are fun, but there's nothing like walking into a true woodworking store. We have Woodcraft down here (national chain). It's hard to walk out without spending some coin. I bought a chunk of African Teak last week for making a couple of mash paddles. Worked on that tonight for a while. Woodcraft has it all.

That's what I wanted. Best of both worlds between radial arm and miter saw. My &$(*%^ circular saw won't cut square anymore...so it's mainly only good for ghetto projects, things behind drywall and plywood.

passedpawn said:
Mmmm, tools. Can't have enough tools. I got a nice Lithium drill today. Mmmm.

BTW, I have a Makita sliding compound miter saw that is incredible. It's a joy to use. Expensive, but probably the last one I'll own.

Big box stores are fun, but there's nothing like walking into a true woodworking store. We have Woodcraft down here (national chain). It's hard to walk out without spending some coin. I bought a chunk of African Teak last week for making a couple of mash paddles. Worked on that tonight for a while. Woodcraft has it all.

Any makita I've ever come across goes to crap.

Any makita I've ever come across goes to crap.

Odd...
my Makita circular saw I've owned for at least 15 years. All I've ever done is replace the power cord and it still runs great. Okay, the brake isn't as fast as it once was, and the new ones have laser lights, but this one is just fine!

Hang Glider said:
Odd...
my Makita circular saw I've owned for at least 15 years. All I've ever done is replace the power cord and it still runs great. Okay, the brake isn't as fast as it once was, and the new ones have laser lights, but this one is just fine!

Yea but how often do you use it. I had a drill that couldn't take a month of continuous work. So I had to throw out the brand.

Back