I LOVE Costco!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
The cheese prices and frozen shrimp quality alone are AWESOME.

2 lbs of the dubliner chees are 9.99 at costco, 4X that price at Kroger.

The frozen shrimp deveined with the tail on are slitted the RIGHT way, so that the "head" is NOT slitted. Makes such a difference.

I do too. We just got a membership a few months ago. Kerrygold grassfed butter is freaking amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

We make it a point to get all of our apple juice there when we make our hard cider. It's wicked cheap and all natural, no preservatives just like WLP775 likes it!

Costco is wonderful. Not sure about where you are, but they always have a couple of craft brew offerings at the one here. Typically RJ Rockers variety pack or something from the Asheville market, and almost always have SNPA for around 26/case.

My favorite part about the one here in Spartanburg is it is never busy on weekdays, but has a sufficient crowd to keep the doors open. I can roll in, get what I need and be out the door quicker than the grocery store. The produce offerings, while limited, are always excellent quality.

Costco is wonderful. Not sure about where you are, but they always have a couple of craft brew offerings at the one here. Typically RJ Rockers variety pack or something from the Asheville market, and almost always have SNPA for around 26/case.

My favorite part about the one here in Spartanburg is it is never busy on weekdays, but has a sufficient crowd to keep the doors open. I can roll in, get what I need and be out the door quicker than the grocery store. The produce offerings, while limited, are always excellent quality.

I'm trying to think of what Asheville beers I've seen here and the only thing coming to mind is Highland. What else do you get in Spartanburg? Our costco is in Augusta and they get the regular sweet water and terrapin stuff but nothing else local unfortunately. Go tigers

I'm trying to think of what Asheville beers I've seen here and the only thing coming to mind is Highland. What else do you get in Spartanburg? Our costco is in Augusta and they get the regular sweet water and terrapin stuff but nothing else local unfortunately. Go tigers

Almost always the highland mountain medley, sometimes single variety cases. They had another Asheville offering here about 2 years ago, but i don't recall the brewery. It was a variety pack that was heavy on stouts, browns, etc, which I am less fond of, so I never tried it.

I got a free membership a couple months ago, guess I should go activate it & see what Costco has to offer.
Regards, GF.

The cheese prices and frozen shrimp quality alone are AWESOME.

2 lbs of the dubliner chees are 9.99 at costco, 4X that price at Kroger.

The frozen shrimp deveined with the tail on are slitted the RIGHT way, so that the "head" is NOT slitted. Makes such a difference.

Define Irony - Cheezy being excited at finding Cheese.

Their beer selection has been getting better and better recently too. Tons of bombers available now. One near me has most of Stone's offerings and for the cheapest prices anywhere too.

True. But does Cheezy like cheese, or does he like like cheese?

*In Cookie Monster voice*

"CHEEESE!!!!!cheesecheesecheesecheese!!!!! ME LIKE LIKE!!!!"

The Tillamook Sharp cheddar is AWESOME!

Cabot's Habanero Cheddar is SPECTACULAR!

Kerrygold above mentioned Dubliner is fantastic.

Their huge bag of shredded Mozzerella is a great deal and freezes well.

Their huge bags of shredded chedddar are, alas, mild.......:(

The Matthews, NC Costco has Foothills IPA. And huge boxes if Oxyclean. And their bakery saves me 5 gallon buckets. It's like a second LHBS.

Well, I have never shopped there but I can definitely vouch for the awesomeness of their cheese and frozen shrimp.. Dee-lissh!! :mug:

:off:

I just got back from demolishing 24 of the best oysters I've ever consumed! [Indian Pass Raw Bar] Going back later this evening for more so I'll snap some pics for you guys then.

I'm going have to check out Costco! My local SAMs seems like it doesn't even come close.

also a costco fan, i recently got a large stainless serving/prep bowl for cheap. going to drill a few holes in the bottom and it'll be perfect for my BIAB drip dry/fakesparge. large enough diameter to fit on my bayou classic and a keg, plan is to drill a few holes in the center, when it's mostly drained, fill the bowl up with water for a quasi batch sparge. will report back how it works, may drop the sparge, but it sure beats holding a heavy soaked bag until it drains (no ability to put a hook in the ceiling or room to use a ladder)

Ill tell you what, the meat dept there can actually cut a decent steak too. Ribeyes that are 1.5-2 inches thick? heck yeah, and usually at the most reasonable prices too.

i bought a case of firestone walker for $24 yesterday. Case of stone ipa for $27. And bombers of Wookey Jack for $4.80 and Green flash IIPA for $5. They are constantly improving their beer selection and can't keep the palates in stock. That is a good sign. Can't wait to see what they keep adding!

The liquor selection is incredible and the ribs and produce are tasty. It is a party in a box at Costco!

So you can't beat their meat? :)

I am watching one being built a couple of miles from my house. First one in the area.

Hell yeah. I am not ashamed to say that I enjoy costco meat in my mouth. Though that sounds terrible. And I do agree with Cheezy as well. They have a great selection. It is a shame they always change up their offerings just as soon as I start really liking one particular food product.

Does anyone know if they have kombucha tea at a reasonable price? Do they have a guest trial or invitation? Thanks!

Ill tell you what, the meat dept there can actually cut a decent steak too. Ribeyes that are 1.5-2 inches thick? heck yeah, and usually at the most reasonable prices too.

Yep, and USDA Prime brisket whole packers for <$3/lb are nice, as are the big packages of pork shoulder (usually 15-20 lb package containing 2 boneless clods), and the pork ribs.

Not only that, I plan on picking up one of their whole Prime rib sections and dry-aging it. It's still quite expensive per pound, but a lot cheaper than buying dry-aged USDA Prime rib eye steaks from the butcher...

Yep, and USDA Prime brisket whole packers for <$3/lb are nice, as are the big packages of pork shoulder (usually 15-20 lb package containing 2 boneless clods), and the pork ribs.

Not only that, I plan on picking up one of their whole Prime rib sections and dry-aging it. It's still quite expensive per pound, but a lot cheaper than buying dry-aged USDA Prime rib eye steaks from the butcher...

My only complaint with their meat is the odd quantities that they package their steaks, always either bulk packs or packs of 3, and they don't break packs. 3 is just a strange quantity to me.

The one drawback is the inconsistency of offerings, but I have never once thought "Awe MAN! they don't have contadina crushed tomatos anymore???cancel my membership"

;) No trial needed. Costco is WORTH it!

My only complaint with their meat is the odd quantities that they package their steaks, always either bulk packs or packs of 3, and they don't break packs. 3 is just a strange quantity to me.

Actually, I do have a complaint with their beef. They blade-tenderize most of it. This does cause some concern about safety if you want to cook something only to med-rare. If I'm going to go there and buy tri-tip, for example, I can't cook it on the grill without worrying a bit about safety.

Actually, I do have a complaint with their beef. They blade-tenderize most of it. This does cause some concern about safety if you want to cook something only to med-rare. If I'm going to go there and buy tri-tip, for example, I can't cook it on the grill without worrying a bit about safety.

Interesting!

I never cook steak beyond Bloody rare, but I get what you are saying.

The blades take surface bacteria deep into the meat. I wonder if you can request them not to tenderize some?

I doubt it matters much in good quality meat, but I can't say that I know that for 100% certain.

Well certain cuts need some manner of tenderizing. Its just the blade method will definitely do what you described. They are usually very nice in the butchers area so they should be able to make a custom cut for you.

:off:

I just got back from demolishing 24 of the best oysters I've ever consumed! [Indian Pass Raw Bar] Going back later this evening for more so I'll snap some pics for you guys then.

Please pardon me for quoting myself, didn't make it back until lunch today…

photo_zps25b134eb.jpg

:mug:

Honey, 5 lbs. for $15. Not the best, but good enough for me!

I have never purchased honey from Costco, not their fault, but any honey that is perfectly clear has been filtered. It is actually illegal to completely filter honey and one reason it is done is to hide the origin on the honey. They are filtering out all the pollens that would tell a lab where the honey came from.

Nope, it's now just a processed food and I rather spend the money to get local stuff, or get stuff on sale.

Their gas is cheaper too! Depending in what is happening with gas prices any where from $0.05 to $0.35 per gallen less than the chepest no name. They add extra detergent at the station and change filters regularly. The one by home does up to 35,000 gallons a day so it is fresh!

Four pages in and no one has mentioned their bacon yet...good stuff.

The local Costco doesn't have a ton of beer choices, but occasionally I'll find something interesting like an Ommegang variety pack.

Pork loins for roast or chops, organic ground beef, and the skinless/boneless chicken thigh. Pretty much we don't buy meat anywhere else.

Yeah good craft beer 24packs.

But really, no one else buys the GIGANTIC chocolate cake? The pies look wonderful too, but hell that's lot of carbs. :)

I have never purchased honey from Costco, not their fault, but any honey that is perfectly clear has been filtered. It is actually illegal to completely filter honey and one reason it is done is to hide the origin on the honey. They are filtering out all the pollens that would tell a lab where the honey came from.

Nope, it's now just a processed food and I rather spend the money to get local stuff, or get stuff on sale.

It's good for JAOM :D but I do prefer the local stuff as well. Especially during allergy season.

Latest posts

Back