I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sure looks like fun, Dan!

I have a bit of a soft spot for growing native plants as well. Before I moved I had big plans to plant a bunch of elderberries along the perimeter of the yard to give some privacy. I was also going to put in a small patch of native wildflowers to attract pollinators.

I was also planning to plant some stuff that didn't grow natively but people don't usually see around eastern Wisconsin. Blueberries, lingonberries, and I recently became interested in jostaberries. Unfortunately I will have to scale back now that we're going to have a smaller yard, but I've still got some crazy ideas in mind. Hopefully I can take a bramble of wild raspberry from my parents' place and transplant it over here as well.

Dan, your project also brings to mind when my brother-in-law, who was a professor at a small college with expensive tuition, got a class to go clean up a local wetland area. Town kids who had never done that kind of work were a little surprised when he told them to take care of a dead, bloated possum or raccoon they found that day.

I think I mentioned a while ago that I'm going to try to grow some wild plums from pits. A little follow-up on that. I had rinsed off the pits and put them in damp paper towels in ziplock bags and kept them in the fridge. Some paper towels were getting moldy, so I just spent some time rinsing pits and swapping out the paper towels. Hopefully everything is still as viable as it was a month ago.

I also bought a string of LEDs specifically intended to be grow-lights. Hopefully I can get those set up in the new house before December. I'll want to start cracking the pits to extract the seeds around then to start the germination process.

I truly love the word truly. Because it comes from my heart and that’s sincere.

Kent88,
I truly hope the best for your crops. With your love and nourishment they will do very well.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Dan. Gardening is a bit of a new hobby for me. I actually have dozens more plum pits than I hopefully will need.

I guess I'm counting my chickens before they hatch in one way. I just started my "what do I want to plant next spring" document and I'm not completely sure I have a yard to plant in yet. I picked out a couple things I want to put in at my in-laws yard that I hope they'll like. Some friends of ours just bought a property with 5 acres, and I told him I want to plant a few things there to get him started. If I have too many plums start growing, he'll probably get a couple.

As for what will hopefully be my yard, I think I will be going with a couple varieties of native plants (although I'm not sure if they are native varieties of those plants), along with a couple more that I don't think are indigenous to the area, but are well adapted to the climate and have some berries that should be good for making fermented beverages, and plant them strategically to try to form something that gives us some privacy. Some of the bushes get really tall.

I'm trying to pick plants that can handle the climate, are low maintenance once they get established, and will produce some kind of fruit that I enjoy and/or consider to be hard to find.

Kent I’m very excited for you. Growing plants is my wife’s passion. I’m not into that really so I’m lucky to be married to a girl who is. She gets a lot of comfort growing things. On my end just harder to trim and mow around them[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Just read my reply Totally selfish opinion of mine.

Sounds like you have a beautiful few gardens started. If it means anything. I admire and am proud of you for what you have done to make life better and greener and happier
Cheers and best of luck to you and your garden
Dan

To my brothers and sisters in arms., present and past. Thank You for your sacrifices and honor. You have truly helped a wonderful country stay wonderfull

I salute you all

Dan Dawson

And in the words Lee Greenwood so best expressed

If tomorrow all the things were gone
I worked for all my life
And I had to start again
With just my children and my wife
I thank my lucky stars
To be living here today
'Cause the flag still stands for freedom
And they can't take that away
And I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me
And I'd gladly stand up next to you
And defend Her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt
I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.

Last edited:
Im not sure this link will work but I’ll give it a try

My son is a Staff Sargent in the MARINE CORPS.

One of his collateral duties for the past two years is to attend military funerals and render honors on behalf of the Marine Corps to the fallen.

He attended a ceremony yesterday honoring 18 vets. Looked like a pretty nice ceremony. Active duty, veterans and of course my brother Patriot Guard riders were in attendance.

My son shows up in the video a few times, one is kinda blurry he is walking with others carrying flags. The other time he is standing accepting s flag, a woman MARINE passes it to him. I guess I’m bragging on my son a little bit. Cause he is my son and I’m proud of him. He’s attended many of these funerals in the last few years and man I couldn’t do it.

To our men and women who serve we owe our deep respect and thanks!

I realize this is a few days after Veterans Day, but there is not just one day a year to remember those who gave us our freedom as well as other nations we have helped to gain theirs

Thank you
Dan Dawson

https://fox59.com/2018/11/14/funeral-held-for-18-veterans-1-spouse-whose-remains-went-unclaimed/

Last edited:
Im not sure this link will work but I’ll give it a try

My son is a Staff Sargent in the MARINE CORPS.

One of his collateral duties for the past two years is to attend military funerals and render honors on behalf of the Marine Corps to the fallen.

He attended a ceremony yesterday honoring 18 vets. Looked like a pretty nice ceremony. Active duty, veterans and of course my brother Patriot Guards wee in attendance.

My son shows up in the video a few times, one is kinda blurry he is walking with others carrying flags. The other time he is standing accepting s flag, a woman MARINE passes it to him. I guess I’m bragging on my son a little bit. Cause he is my son and I’m proud of him. He’s attended many of these funerals in the last few years and man I couldn’t do it.

To our men and women who serve we owe our deep respect and thanks!

I realize this is a few days after Veterans Day, but there is not just one day a year to remember those who gave us our freedom as well as other nations we have helped to gain theirs

Thank you
https://fox59.com/2018/11/14/funeral-held-for-18-veterans-1-spouse-whose-remains-went-unclaimed/
Thank your son for me, Dan. I had to participate in a few funeral ceremonies. I was proud and willing, but it was the toughest duty I ever had to perform. Thank G_d for the Marines!

Thank your son for me, Dan. I had to participate in a few funeral ceremonies. I was proud and willing, but it was the toughest duty I ever had to perform. Thank G_d for the Marines!

I will pass to him your thanks. I think he still checks out this site so he might see your post.

I know exactly what you are talking about. It’s a great honor to be part of the these men and women’s remembrance , to pay tribute. Very humbling.

Thank you for the kind and honest words

Cheers
Dan

My wife and I got a new place. It’s terrifying cause we’re both getting older. Starting a new mortgage nuts it is. Life will go on no stupid how iam

Enjoy your new digs Dan!
I’ve talked about a new house for years. My current house is close to my mom and my wife’s parents are just 2 miles away and are getting up there in age so I don’t see a move anytime soon. Though getting rid of 30 years of accumulated clutter in this house would probably make it feel like new.

Aloha to all
Wishing to my friends on HBT, and especially This Time at Night, and the riddle one. Peace and happiness and thank you
to Passedpawn and all the people that make HBT a wonderful place to hang out

I haven’t been around here much the last few years, but HBT and the good people there will always be in my heart

Cheers
Dan

Aloha to all
Wishing to my friends on HBT, and especially This Time at Night, and the riddle one. Peace and happiness and thank you
to Passedpawn and all the people that make HBT a wonderful place to hang out

I haven’t been around here much the last few years, but HBT and the good people there will always be in my heart

Cheers
Dan

Yo! I don't make it into this thread nearly as much as I used to. But I still think of you guys as my late night brewing buddies.

Seems my eyes are getting older or something. I just effed a simple postt

Ink leg than you for asking. New place is nice. Tropical, sunny. Pretty good , Brother

It’s not Veterans Day, and not Memorial Day
But there is something I got to say

Men and women from different races and cultures and prides
Help protect our American lives

Soldiers, Sailors, Coastguard, Airmen and MARINES
They ensure our American Dreams

If you have a mom or dad son or daughter, cousin, niece or a nephew
Serving the US Armed Forces
Please let them know your thankfulness

I’m going to be brewing a Wit tomorrow but just realized I’m out of flaked wheat!!!!

Please help with a suggested substitute....THANK YOU HBT!

C8F94D34-3C5E-4FE2-829E-11F4457966A0.jpeg

Hey all. Cheers!!!

My daughter in law and my son gave birth to their first child yesterday!![emoji2][emoji3]

A boy. Name is Jude Daniel Dawson. Middle and last name are me and my son’s first and last

Jude it’s cool! I look at the baby and can’t help but start singing Hey Jude. I know that isn’t ba completely happy songs The Beatles made
But he’s my grand baby now. Already in love with the little guy

Back