I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just talking with a guy I work occasionally work with. We got to talking and found out my wife and him went to school together way back when, 50 years ago. Sounds freaking old putting it to words.

Funny how time is really immortal.

yes I'm planning a a way to use my radiant heating system for less money and this is right up my ally, the only way I've come up it is to use an electric water heater powered by solar, any thoughts

There are solar water heaters. The difference between them is a few. Electric water heaters I’m only talking about for now

traditional electric water heater. Two 4500 watt heating elements that work one at a time to keep hot water readily available

The timer uses 240vac to power the upper part of the tank when needed. Hot water is always taken from the top of the tank whether it be gas heated, electric heated with two heating elements, or solar and electric combined. Always comes from the hottest point. We all understand heat rises.

I know of NO strictly powered solar powered system. They are probably out there. My ignorance of them does not mean they don’t exist.

Ozark's Mountain Brew
PV is not something I know much about. I recommend you research your local companies.
not ignoring your question. There are real experts in the field of solar electrical

dang, tomorrow I'm meet up with a rep about installing domestic water heating in my house. I'm way up here in the north, so I'm looking at an active indirect system, probably with a tankless/instantaneous water heater backup.

If you have anything to say about such a system, @Dan , I'd love to "hear" it.

I know this is not wat your talking about so pass me by if you want, you just sparked an interest, I can get an extensive solar panel system cheap, I'm just unsure about how much I can actually power with 30 - 370 watt panels including the flooring lol
Well you can cover the yard and at least eliminate mowing from your schedule :p

My dog died in my arms a month ago. I buried him at the top of a steep hill. I fell down the hill and slammed into a tree. Broke my upper femur. Doc couldn’t cast it. Replaced the hip.

I’m really at a low. My dog Dasher was my best friend now he’s gone and I don’t walk well

My dog died in my arms a month ago. I buried him at the top of a steep hill. I fell down the hill and slammed into a tree. Broke my upper femur. Doc couldn’t cast it. Replaced the hip.

I’m really at a low. My dog Dasher was my best friend now he’s gone and I don’t walk well

Sorry to hear about your dog Dan. Been through that before, sad.

Here you go. Dolly, at her absolute best.

Oh man, dude, that's tough. You have my sympathy.

We're all rooting for you to make a full recovery.

Attachments

• A2B6AE74-D8C9-4389-B3A9-F33927158A36.jpeg
    A2B6AE74-D8C9-4389-B3A9-F33927158A36.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 0
Down Town Dasher Brown

Just a silly thing I called him.

There was Down Town Dasher Brown
And his spinning sidekick Skippy
And Little Boy Boy

I’ll never get another dog or cat. To much heartbreak when they die

Two more animals in this house. They become family and they are getting very old. Dash was the leader, the other two are feeling lost.

So am I

I know it's raw right now, but I hope you reconsider that position after a while.

It sounds like you loved Dasher a lot, and I bet that any dog would be happy to have you for a friend. And there are a lot of good dogs out there looking for a friend.

Aww man don't say that.

When we lost our dear Chewy I felt the same way. It took some time to realize it, but after 18 years with our sweet baby tiger, the gaping hole left in our hearts was the perfect place for another fwuffy bunny who needed rescuing.

Enter Milo, our $50 craigslist kitten. At the rate he's growing he'll come out to about $0.99/lb, but he has fallen right into the deep grooves in our hearts that Chewy left behind, and as a result he is more affectionate and loveable than we could have wished for. Pets are intuitive and will pick up on your pain, a little furry bandaid will soon become the huge heartfelt hug that you really need.

Old Chewy boy brought Milo to us and we feel really lucky for having been receptive at the moment he came along. Our only wish is that they somehow could have met, we're sure they would have been the best of friends.

My back went out the other day - it does that once in a while. This morning I laid down on my back on the floor to help straighten it out. Both of our cats laid down with me - they could tell I was not well. Cats and dogs can be great friends. But I understand the heartbreak.

Dash was my buddy. Sounds a little silly but it’s not
He had a habit of staring a person down.
Not sure where he got that from.
He was a good, great companion
I don’t know how long Dsshers’swill affect me. Probably if I keep feeling like I am. Maybe quite a long time.
My boy Dasher. I’ll miss for ever. He was my son, my little son. Down Town Dasher Brown

My little friend. My buddy.

My Dasher

Dash had a talent for staring into your eyes. He would do that to anybody. Felt like he was staring into your soul.

He loved his toys and couldn’t get enough fetching them. I have no idea why dogs get so happy fetching a toy. He used to do it ninstop and lately before he passed on would be good for a few tosses then take his toy and go be to himself

The heartbreak of seeing a dog die. I think I’ll never put myself in that position again. We have a 17 year old cat and bb

Dash had a talent for staring into your eyes. He would do that to anybody. Felt like he was staring into your soul.

He loved his toys and couldn’t get enough fetching them. I have no idea why dogs get so happy fetching a toy. He used to do it ninstop and lately before he passed on would be good for a few tosses then take his toy and go be to himself

The heartbreak of seeing a dog die. I think I’ll never put myself in that position again. We have a 17 year old cat and bb
And another dog who is getting old. He and Dash were good buddies. I can see he feels the loss.

I know I’m going to get heart broke twice more

I want another buddy but I don’t want another heartbreak

That is selfish sounding. It hurts losing a family member…even if that family member is a dog. He was my best buddy, he was my boy.

I apologize for being such a downer. Some people might not understand the loss I feel. I have friends but Dash was truly my best friend. He didn’t speak English but he understood it. He reflected my soul

I apologize for being such a downer. Some people might not understand the loss I feel. I have friends but Dash was truly my best friend. He didn’t speak English but he understood it. He reflected my soul

Don't worry about it, dude. Jayjay already shared a little about his cats. I grew up on a farm and remember three good dogs. The first couple died when I was pretty young so I don't really remember them very well. The third we had from about mid elementary school until after I graduated. She was a good dog but in obvious pain the last couple years of her life, and she apparently nipped at my neice and that was the last straw for my dad, and he put her down.

It isn't easy for anyone. Remembering her now gives me a sad smile. I hope that some day I will have a place suitable for getting a dog. I definitely want my kids to have that experience.

We also had barn cats when I was growing up. I didn't get particularly close to most of them. There was a set of three kittens that I got attached to, though. Their mother had died and I tried to raise them after that. They were born a little late in the year, and despite my efforts they didn't put enough weight on to get through the winter. Finding the last one dead was a real gut-punch.

You're grieving, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I’d like to lighten the mood that I am at fault for bringing down. I’m trying to replicate a sweet/salty bread that I had years ago in Peoria Illinois. A restaurant called Avanti’s. The made a sandwich called a Gondola. Nothing special about the toppings. American cheese, cold cuts, lettuce and some condiments. Mayo, mustard maybe.

But the bread as what made the thing taste so goods. Light crust if any crust. Chewy salty sweet dough.

I’m trying to replicate it and got to talking about yeast with my daughter. Reminded me of a crappy poem I wrote eight years ago and posted here. You old timers might remember.

So if you're brewing or baking this weekend, keep in mind it's an honor to have these little guys working for you!

Ode to Yeast by the Yeasty Brothers

We are Yeast and we are hungry young beasts!
We have been around longer than you have,
And we know how too feast!
There are many of us on this planet here,
We are the secret ingredient in bread, and great beer!
Of our brothers and sisters there are many of us,
Here are some of our names, pretty impressive I trust!
Saccharomyces cerevisiae, we make great ale,
Saccharomyces pastorianus, we're bottom dwellers
and we brew lager quite well!
Our Yeast family - Man, we're all pretty swell!
So the next time you decide to bake bread,
Or brew up a batch of your favorite IPA instead.
Remember the wise words that we have just spoken
It will put a smile on your face, and boost your hemoglobin!
So heres to all of our wonderful yeast cousins,
We have at least, a few trillion dozens!
Thanks go to you, and to your crew,
For all the delicious goodness, you fellows do!

Never worry about bringing the mood down in the thread. It's life. I've been over on the Dogs thread a few times and noticed someone going through something like you did.

I guess it's just a problem with certain generations, like yours and mine. We're less likely to think much of friendships formed online. I don't have to look much younger than me to find people who accept the friendships they've formed online as being just as valid as friendships formed IRL.

I'm always a little leery of giving out too much info online, though, as I'm the right age where I was a kid during the early years of the internet and the stranger danger that accompanied it.

Back