I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife is asleep.

Think she’s gon crazy old lady on me.

Ya know those plastic spoon/fork/knife wrapped in a napkin packets that come with takeout. I just found her horde.

Then again I’ve got parts for motors they stopped making in the 50s.

Life is good

Wife is asleep.

Think she’s gon crazy old lady on me.

Ya know those plastic spoon/fork/knife wrapped in a napkin packets that come with takeout. I just found her horde.

Then again I’ve got parts for motors they stopped making in the 50s.

Life is good

Today my wife packed my lunch, she usually does unless she’s in a big rush in the morning

Today, “Here Danny spaghetti!”

Lunchtime. Where’s the fork? One of those packs would have come in handy. I ate with bamboo throwaway chopsticks that come in the little paper packages.

Use them sometimes at work too. That’s why I had them on my work truck. Great for fixing stripped out wood screw holes. Pound one in fill the hole. New wood. Screws hold.

Lol

Tired. My 2-year-old son doesn't want to nap anymore, and he is going backwards on his bedtime routine.

That kind of sounds like I'm being competitive. I'm not. I'm sure we could all use a little more sleep.

Good luck L&B. I hope work gives you a chance to recuperate. I'm going fishing with the family for a few days.

Tired. My 2-year-old son doesn't want to nap anymore, and he is going backwards on his bedtime routine.

That kind of sounds like I'm being competitive. I'm not. I'm sure we could all use a little more sleep.

Good luck L&B. I hope work gives you a chance to recuperate. I'm going fishing with the family for a few days.
I’m in the same boat as you, my son, two and a half, stopped taking scheduled naps about 2 months ago. He still passes out in the car here and there but refuses to let us put him down for a nap. Some days he’s okay but others he’s super cranky. He sleeps pretty solid at night but will climb into our bed if he wakes up.

My older daughter is worse than he is at night, if she wakes up she’ll start screaming and come into our bed. Most nights we just let them sleep with us to avoid getting woken up in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, my kids are sleep kickers lol.

Anyways, I feel your pain.

I don’t remember the BTu it is. But pretty heave duty, higher than the standard turkey frier burner

Anyone use their burner to cook with a Wok?

can't say i've used a wok, but i've fried a few turkeys in my boil kettle on my burner....

edit: but i might have...did buy my buddy a nice thick cast iron lodge wok....but that was 12 years ago, and my memory isn't that good....

Last edited:
Sounds great Pappy! I love a good solid workbench. It’s the beginning of many great things to come.

I work with a guy that’s been a carpenter for 45 years. He is amazing! The other day at work he was told to replace an old wooden screen door [emoji376] with a metal one on a historic home. He said why should he do that? Answer was all about money. The company tried to have one made. Cheapest bid was $3000! Yes three thousand!

So my friend told them he could build one if the company paid for a couple tools and that we already have a great workbench from where to start!

I thought of your post immediately

Last edited:
We moved to our new (30 year old, new to us) house a few months back. It’s a townhouse but bigger and more yard than the cheapest single family home we found which would have cost more than $100K above what we paid for Dawson Hale

The only real drawback to living in a townhouses is no garage which of course we wouldn’t park cars in. The garage would be my man cave and extra storage. Waa waa waa Oh well

My yard, by Hawaii standard is huge. There’s a big mango tree, a guava, two avocados and three of what we think are tangerine trees.

If it sounds like I’m bragging I apologize. I’m not. I’m just amazed we got this place. My wife kept pushing for a single family home and I kept saying “You’re crazy!” An average single family home in Hawaii with little yard. Somewhere around 650-850K That’s a basic place. Effing ludicrous

We wanted to stay up here in Makakilo. Temp is pretty nice and we get nice breezes. Air conditioning is not a must. A 15-16 hundred square foot house in Hawaii in a hot area $1000 a month electricity bill when air conditioning is used

So we looked in this area. Found a single family home, one just up a side street from us. It has a smaller yard, was smaller square footage by 200, was the only street to the top of the mountain, tons of traffic, needed all the siding replace, had termites and hadn’t been updated on the interior in 30+ years!

To get to the garage from inside the house you had to go through a door in the hallway bathroom!![emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji173]️

Asking price for this badly located termite ridden small house $650,000!

We passed. The houses I liked were around 950K. They weren’t anything especially special. Just by mainland standards good sized, not huge. Nice sized yard. Garage.

But almost a million?!?! I have no idea who can afford that but people in Hawaii somehow do. It’s nuts.

We also have a gigantic homeless problem here. Go figure

Not sure how I got on this ramble. Oh yah. Workbench. I no longer have one. [emoji18]

Cheers!
Dan

We moved to our new (30 year old, new to us) house a few months back. It’s a townhouse but bigger and more yard than the cheapest single family home we found which would have cost more than $100K above what we paid for Dawson Hale

The only real drawback to living in a townhouses is no garage which of course we wouldn’t park cars in. The garage would be my man cave and extra storage. Waa waa waa Oh well

My yard, by Hawaii standard is huge. There’s a big mango tree, a guava, two avocados and three of what we think are tangerine trees.

If it sounds like I’m bragging I apologize. I’m not. I’m just amazed we got this place. My wife kept pushing for a single family home and I kept saying “You’re crazy!” An average single family home in Hawaii with little yard. Somewhere around 650-850K That’s a basic place. Effing ludicrous

We wanted to stay up here in Makakilo. Temp is pretty nice and we get nice breezes. Air conditioning is not a must. A 15-16 hundred square foot house in Hawaii in a hot area $1000 a month electricity bill when air conditioning is used

So we looked in this area. Found a single family home, one just up a side street from us. It has a smaller yard, was smaller square footage by 200, was the only street to the top of the mountain, tons of traffic, needed all the siding replace, had termites and hadn’t been updated on the interior in 30+ years!

To get to the garage from inside the house you had to go through a door in the hallway bathroom!![emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji173]️

Asking price for this badly located termite ridden small house $650,000!

We passed. The houses I liked were around 950K. They weren’t anything especially special. Just by mainland standards good sized, not huge. Nice sized yard. Garage.

But almost a million?!?! I have no idea who can afford that but people in Hawaii somehow do. It’s nuts.

We also have a gigantic homeless problem here. Go figure

Not sure how I got on this ramble. Oh yah. Workbench. I no longer have one. [emoji18]

Cheers!
Dan

Fire up the BBQ and we’ll all bring the beer!
Congrats on your new place!! [emoji482]

Fire up the BBQ and we’ll all bring the beer!
Congrats on your new place!! [emoji482]

Thanks 6Tap! I just got off the phone with my wife, she’s on her way home from work and I’m heading out to the backyard to fire up the grill

Cheers!
Dan

I'm pretty sure @passedpawn likes country music. Maybe some of the rest of you do too. Here is something to check out. I've been looking forward to it for months.

That's a great documentary. It's nice to see Dolly singing "I Will Always Love You", a song that she wrote and credit is often given to Whitney Houston.

[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16] pics!

Here you go. It's nothing too pretty, but it's sturdy enough to hold anything. I actually didn't set out to build a workbench (I have one already in my garage), but instead to do something with a solid-core door that I didn't need. The inside of this solid-core door is MDF (fiberboard) - the weather will likely wreck it if I don't seal the ends where the MDF is exposed. I hinged the table with marine (stainless) hinges so that it can swing and stow up or down. The legs, which I made by just cutting a 2x6, are hinged with strap hinges and they latch in the closed position with some cheap gate hardware.

It's not the prettiest thing, but it's very functional. I'm going to put an outside power outlet above it this weekend.

upload_2019-6-15_9-50-47.png

upload_2019-6-15_9-51-29.png

upload_2019-6-15_9-52-4.png

It looks great Pappy! I love the idea that you can fold it away. You’re right about sealing the ends, please do that. At work we are only given solid core (not solid wood) doors to use for outdoor closets and sometimes back doors. That’s terrible here in Hawaii. If they don’t get sealed on the ends very well the MDF will soak up moisture like a sponge. The door will swell and veneer crack.

I had a job at a house one day where the resident built some benches for his garage. The design was brilliant in its simplicity and elegance to me. I thought Shaker for some reason

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG
IMG_1364.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1369.JPG
    IMG_1369.JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
and yes I like the old country music (and new country too :) )

I'm not a big fan of a lot of new country music. Not that I'm trying to yuck anybody's yum here, it just feels like for the past 10-15 years that songwriters have been looking back on what pop music was doing around 10 years before they started writing. Just not my jam. But music appreciation is all subjective, we like what we like.

Apparently in my case that means most of what I like is pre-2003(ish) country music.

And by the way, Pappy I’m appreciate the compliment about me being a craftsman. Not sure I truly deserve that. I think you should give yourself more credit. That bench you built is pretty awesome!

I'm not a big fan of a lot of new country music. Not that I'm trying to yuck anybody's yum here, it just feels like for the past 10-15 years that songwriters have been looking back on what pop music was doing around 10 years before they started writing. Just not my jam. But music appreciation is all subjective, we like what we like.

Apparently in my case that means most of what I like is pre-2003(ish) country music.

I’m pretty much with you there too Kent. I gotta admit. My country music listening is mostly Hank Williams, Hank Williams Jr, Johnny Cash, Merl Haggard, Waylon Jennings, and Willie Nelson. Actually had a dog named Willie Nelson[emoji16]

I've always been a big fan of Garth since my dad and I would sing Friends in Low Places in the truck driving down the gravel roads. Back then I got some of the lyrics wrong, I thought a bear was chasing blues away. I really like his new(ish) song People Loving People, I feel like it has some of the same spirit as We Shall Be Free.

Since getting a new vehicle I've been trying out bluegrass on satellite radio. It's nice for something different, but I don't think I'll miss it much when the trial subscription is over.

I've kind of rediscovered Alan Jackson lately. He also recorded some good gospel music that isn't as popular today as it was 20 years ago, even in some of the more traditional groups that I'm aware of.

So when I get some drywall put up in my garage I'm definitely putting in some fold away workbenches. Those look sweet.

How come he makes it look so easy?! I think more craftsmanship then he lets on. People who are experienced and do something really well always make things look easy. My hat is off to them. Great carpenters, showman craftsman. They are spectacular!

Cool bench!

Last edited:
Just vacationed with my daughter in California. Was pretty nice. She’s grown up over the years, 25. I can remember the day she was born.
Big girl now. Not physically.
It was a great week with her. Eff we live so far away

They grow up too fast!
Mines starting to drive and she scares me every time she’s behind the wheel since she’s in control of the vehicle and I’m not.. we almost
Swapped paint with another car the other day. Hard to let go! [emoji482]

Hi Guys! Been absent a while. I have to try to log in more often. Hope you're all well. Still brewing and maintaining my little urban farm. Baby daughter starts junior year of high school soon.

Aloha! Mango season is happening. Got a big tree in the backyard. We’ve been picking them the past few weeks. The perfect ones are generally hidden at the top of the tree and unfortunately the only way I realize they were there is when they fall, over ripe and smashed

Still got some nice sweet juicy ones and more coming. We picked some green ones this morning along with a few nearly ripe. My mango picker is totally ghetto but works with some patience

Cheers to you all. Here’s some pics
58520616324__FC069B8E-7AF5-4D91-8EFA-502896505A9F.JPG
58543285226__BC87B784-6F4D-4E91-BDFB-99DBC99EF171.JPG
58543284309__07D61563-755D-44F8-95C1-67BC617AB683.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG
nkk

Back