I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I gotta vent, it's about machine shops.

My yearlong saga with this Ford truck I have could have been stopped by an honest machine shop that could've told me I had a cracked head. But instead they say they checked it and it's all good, 500 bucks later I put said head back in, and white smoke pours out of the exhaust.

Almost a year later, I replaced the entire block and figure that same head was not to be the cause, so I stupidly put it back on. Starts up for 20 minutes just fine like a proper break in, I'm feeling good and high fivin the wife. Then I come down later to drain the coolant and take the radiator cap off and there is oil in there. DAMN! So I figure I'll flush the radiator out and check again to be sure. Guess what! You guessed it still crappy.

So today I just purchased a reman'd head from Rock Auto, has a 12 month warranty on it, and sent a s###ty email to said machine shop. We'll see how it all goes. I'm guessin it will run perfect after replacing the whole engine.

On the plus side, after removing and installing the head twice, should be a four hour job. I'm certainly ready to go all Rambo on someone from that damn machine shop if it doesn't.:mug:

Mbobhat, been there done that. When I was 25 my car took a dive. The fuel jet screamers got plugged in confused demeanor. I took the car to a man with a crown. Spent a bunch of money like you but the car was still down; no way to get around. I was scammed it 'tis true. And between me and you. Bunch of money out the butt; not even blown on a worthy sluut.

Even if it is your dream car. Put it in a jar

Or Dude make the car happen!!
For a grand reaction!!!!!!

Cheers
Dan D

Regarding said truck, I feel like a duck...
There may be some hope, I feel like a dope. All my colleagues have conferred this as true, which makes me have hope and not be so blue.

So into the car I put a pressure gauge, to make sure the oil is powerful and sage (?), I will continue my quest, and the request of all the rest, of the people who have had their car projects laid to rest...(at the request of SWMBO...not mine I declare, although it would be fair)

Regarding said truck, I feel like a duck...

There may be some hope, I feel like a dope. All my colleagues have conferred this as true, which makes me have hope and not be so blue.

So into the car I put a pressure gauge, to make sure the oil is powerful and sage (?), I will continue my quest, and the request of all the rest, of the people who have had their car projects laid to rest...(at the request of SWMBO...not mine I declare, although it would be fair)

+10

It's hard letting things go

The lack of posts lately upsets me. I hope everyone is busy enjoying summer. It finally got to the UP i think. I was working late nights at a grocery store this past week so I been thinking of you late nighters. Hope you all are well.

The lack of posts lately upsets me. I hope everyone is busy enjoying summer. It finally got to the UP i think. I was working late nights at a grocery store this past week so I been thinking of you late nighters. Hope you all are well.

Never been to the UP Ischiavo, farthest north I've been is traverse city, we took a sailboat cruise for a few nights up there on lake michigan one summer it was a blast. The late nights around this time are memorable. Much like at this same latitude in PNW. It doesn't get dark till after 10pm.

+1 Happy father's day weekend to everyone...I worked a night shift a week ago and am back on regular time...kid is 6 months old today, my wife got this toy from people at her work that has buttons that light up when you press it...I said hey the box says 9months to 3 yrs old maybe we should wait, what if he falls forward on it while sitting and punching the buttons...guess what he did 5 minutes after we let him play with it:)

Hope to brew this weekend (haven't brewing in a year), going to a brew fest tommorow should be fun.

Cheers:mug:

Never been to the UP Ischiavo, farthest north I've been is traverse city, we took a sailboat cruise for a few nights up there on lake michigan one summer it was a blast. The late nights around this time are memorable. Much like at this same latitude in PNW. It doesn't get dark till after 10pm.

+1 Happy father's day weekend to everyone...I worked a night shift a week ago and am back on regular time...kid is 6 months old today, my wife got this toy from people at her work that has buttons that light up when you press it...I said hey the box says 9months to 3 yrs old maybe we should wait, what if he falls forward on it while sitting and punching the buttons...guess what he did 5 minutes after we let him play with it:)

Hope to brew this weekend (haven't brewing in a year), going to a brew fest tommorow should be fun.

Cheers:mug:

Traverse City is nice. My best buddy from high school lives there. We visited last summer and had a great time. I'd like to get out to your part of the country sometime. I've always wanted to.

Yes! Happy Father's day! I got my gift early. A new grill that I converted to natural gas. So sweet to not need propane anymore. We also bought an old pontoon boat from my FIL that we were going to put in the water tomorrow. The weather is not going to let us though.

I just got back from a trip to the Quetico Provincial Park. I went on a canoe trip to the Boundary Waters with my Dad about 45 years ago and finally got a chance to do the same with my sons. We had a great time. Fishing was great and the weather was decent.

Both sons caught their first Walleyes and Pike and the youngest caught a Laker.

We drove back through the UP and then visited my sister in Owosso on the way back to LA.

I got the kids a pasty in Muldoon's -no better introduction to the Yooper culinary delight- and they liked the damn thing so much we had to stop and get another before crossing the Straights on the Mighty Mac.

Man, it was great trip

My youngest with a nice Pike.

IMG_1461.jpg

I just got back from a trip to the Quetico Provincial Park. I went on a canoe trip to the Boundary Waters with my Dad about 45 years ago and finally got a chance to do the same with my sons. We had a great time. Fishing was great and the weather was decent.

Both sons caught their first Walleyes and Pike and the youngest caught a Laker.

We drove back through the UP and then visited my sister in Owosso on the way back to LA.

I got the kids a pasty in Muldoon's -no better introduction to the Yooper culinary delight- and they liked the damn thing so much we had to stop and get another before crossing the Straights on the Mighty Mac.

Man, it was great trip

My youngest with a nice Pike.

That sounds like an awesome trip. Canoe trips have always been my favorite way to get outdoors. I had to look up that Park. No shortage of lakes in that area! Looks like some good memories for you and your sons.

Just discovered this trio. Their harmonies are crazy good They have already been to the Opry and have been asked back. Ad the tall one is John Wayne's granddaughter. How cool is that.

My peronal favorite:

Opus

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter's high school Latin teacher is retiring so she wrote a goofy song for him

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5g0p85zGA&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Traverse City is nice.

Spent childhood summers near there, place called Silver lake. Loads of fun. Getting together with my brothers at Gun lake, which is down by kzoo, in October.

That sounds like an awesome trip. Canoe trips have always been my favorite way to get outdoors. I had to look up that Park. No shortage of lakes in that area! Looks like some good memories for you and your sons.

I love canoeing. Been a while since I have (lots more kayaying in recent years). When I was young, pulling in gills and perch and bass, those pike were what we were always hoping for. Fished for them with minnows on trebble hooks.

Just discovered this trio.

Nice. I like that kind of harmonic country.,

My daughter's high school Latin teacher is retiring so she wrote a goofy song for him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5g0p85zGA&feature=youtu.be

They still teach latin??

for your late nite soundtrack, Brown Bird

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phWmok50QLk[/ame]

Maybe this a downer. The nutjob North Korea president plans on taking out Hawaii 4th of July. If he does? Well, goodbye my HBT FRIENDS If that insane idiot fails? Tomorrow will be another day. God Bless the USA!
Cheers
Dan

Hope you're still with us Dan. Would hate to lose you to someone with SPS (Small Penis Syndrome). Maybe you could get everyone to stand on one side of the island and tilt it just enough so the missile will miss it. Just don't tilt it to far.

Happy 4th everyone.

Still here :) !
The 4th of July was a beautiful day here in Hawaii. My wife and I took the dogs to the Waianae coast. Beautiful. Even though I live in Hawaii I don't go to the beach often. Holy cow! You see what the girls wear as a bikini now? Pretty much nothing! I'm not sure how much more the material can be cut down. Nearly naked. I saw quite a few nice little tan butts. 🤓. Eye candy. Man I'm feeling old.
Cheers

From tan butts to engine oil. I'm changing oil in the cars tomorrow which is something I have for many years without much thought. 10w30. But upon buying my wife's new car which says it needs 10w50 and watching a bunch of videos that just use 5w30 for that car. I've gotten confused.

I'm also going to changes pads and rotors on the front of my car. I think the backs are drum brakes but I could very well be wrong. I'll check that out tomorrow ad repair later, back brakes wear less cause they do less work. I think.

Here is my dilemma and I'll just tell you my initial plan for the oil changes. Two cars, both live in Hawaii so a very cold day is 66 and a really hot day is 100. No worries of freezing (I'm on Oahu). Temps as stated above are the extremes, if you can call them that. I'm thinking about putting a single weight oil in but then again not. The manufacturers recommend 5w 30. A large range for freezing and hot temps. I don't live where it freezes but with freeway stalled traffic in the heat of summer the radiator engine cooler keeps the engine at optimal temp, not sure if there is an oil cooler doing the same.

Question to you. Can't I just run straight 30 or 40w Never going to get cold here never going to get Mohave desert hot one car is a chevy 6 cylinder and the other a mini copper 1.6?liter. The mini with a smaller engine requires more oil than the Chevy which has a bigger engine. I'm missing a lot, tired and confused. My fallback will to jut use 10w40 mobile one synthetic or 5w30

From tan butts to engine oil. I'm changing oil in the cars tomorrow which is something I have for many years without much thought. 10w30. But upon buying my wife's new car which says it needs 10w50 and watching a bunch of videos that just use 5w30 for that car. I've gotten confused.

I'm also going to changes pads and rotors on the front of my car. I think the backs are drum brakes but I could very well be wrong. I'll check that out tomorrow ad repair later, back brakes wear less cause they do less work. I think.

Here is my dilemma and I'll just tell you my initial plan for the oil changes. Two cars, both live in Hawaii so a very cold day is 66 and a really hot day is 100. No worries of freezing (I'm on Oahu). Temps as stated above are the extremes, if you can call them that. I'm thinking about putting a single weight oil in but then again not. The manufacturers recommend 5w 30. A large range for freezing and hot temps. I don't live where it freezes but with freeway stalled traffic in the heat of summer the radiator engine cooler keeps the engine at optimal temp, not sure if there is an oil cooler doing the same.

Question to you. Can't I just run straight 30 or 40w Never going to get cold here never going to get Mohave desert hot one car is a chevy 6 cylinder and the other a mini copper 1.6?liter. The mini with a smaller engine requires more oil than the Chevy which has a bigger engine. I'm missing a lot, tired and confused. My fallback will to jut use 10w40 mobile one synthetic or 5w30

Here in FL I use 5W30 in my cars (I've got 5). I do the oil filter every 5k for me wife and kids. If any of your cars are performance / high compression engines, might be wise to step to synthetic oil.

If you have trouble with any of the drain plugs, there are some sweet drain bolt replacements. Imagine replacing the drain plug with a valve that you can slide a piece of tubing onto, then switch open. If you ever strip the threads on the oil pan, you'll remember this. New oil pan is expensive.

Fumoto F-106N Engine Oil Drain Valve

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys. Nice smoker labrat. I need to work on my ugly drum. I've got a PID on it with a computer fan. The fan is shot. I have to swap that out and do some pulled pork.

I'm working on a 15 pack of founders all day. I started late though. I drank it all evening until now. That's only about 5 hours. Maybe I'll start over tomorrow with a new box in the morning;)

My wife is traveling for photography work this weekend. I have to pick up my middle boy from a week at camp tomorrow. I can't wait. We all miss him. We bought an old pontoon boat and have it tied up on the river at my parents house. I'm gonna take the boys trolling tomorrow, see if we can get a walleye.

Just got done with a couple games of candy land (my all time favorite). Oops. Gotta go. Uncle Grandpa is on now...

Is it cost prohibitive or hard to acquire the factory recommended oil?

Tonight was a 3 hour lecture after a long ugly day. My voice is gone. Tomorrow my super-woman attorney partner is covering the office and any poop falling into the fan so I can take my son to San Diego for his birthday. We are going to rent a speed boat and circle the bay.

LRB! That's going to be, is now a great memory for you and your son. There is a girl I work with ; young girl who I secretly call Super Girl. Youth, exuberance, smarts. Who ever says the younger generations are lazy and weird has forgotten previous generation thought, about us "this new generation of kids"

Second reason talking tonight. We have mice again in this house. I hate myself because I used sticky traps again. I said I wouldn't but did. Used the mechanical ones last time. Quick death. I lowered myself to sticky trap let mice starve / dehydrate to death. Caught one this morning..ignored it and went to work. Got home 11 hours later mouse still alive in the glue. Took it to the trash can still squirming. A few minutes ago I woke up to some squeaky cry sound. It was another mouse stuck in the sticky trap. I put it ina plastic grocery bag. Slid it near my truck wheel. Ran it over. Crushed but not going to suffer it's mates prolonged death. What gives tme the right? It's not like it was a cockroach or centipede or mosquito. Those little mouses are cute. I know they can carry hantavirus which is harmful to humans so ill exterminate the mice. Just sucks killing an animal of any sorts

Any you guys heard of sugru? A moldable glue that turns into rubber in 24 hours. Temperature variation is -58f to 365f. It sounds as it's an adhesive as well.

Any personal experience with this stuff?

Mahalo
Dan

Hey Late Nighters!

I've never heard of that stuff, Dan. What are you going to repair with it?

Not sure. Sort of a wonder fix. We had something similar to repair holes in integral fuel tanks on LC-130 Hercules and P-3 Orion's. A wonder synthetic play Do , wondrous stuff whatever it was. Trying to Define.: 1/2-5/8" big crayon. It had a simple name among those of us that used it. I don't remember the name now. But it worked well to seal fuel leak applied on wet or dry bulkheads.

I'm going with that definition to a ramble for now it's been a very long work day. Maybe I'll speak with more clarity after some rest

Cheers!
Dan

Second reason talking tonight. We have mice again in this house. I hate myself because I used sticky traps again. I said I wouldn't but did. Used the mechanical ones last time. Quick death. I lowered myself to sticky trap let mice starve / dehydrate to death. Caught one this morning..ignored it and went to work. Got home 11 hours later mouse still alive in the glue. Took it to the trash can still squirming. A few minutes ago I woke up to some squeaky cry sound. It was another mouse stuck in the sticky trap. I put it ina plastic grocery bag. Slid it near my truck wheel. Ran it over. Crushed but not going to suffer it's mates prolonged death. What gives tme the right? It's not like it was a cockroach or centipede or mosquito. Those little mouses are cute. I know they can carry hantavirus which is harmful to humans so ill exterminate the mice. Just sucks killing an animal of any sorts

I had mice in the garage. I tried a "live" trap for a week, but the result was that I was just feeding them and making them strong. I finally had to use the standard snap the neck traps. They did the job, but I hated doing it.

I had mice in the garage. I tried a "live" trap for a week, but the result was that I was just feeding them and making them strong. I finally had to use the standard snap the neck traps. They did the job, but I hated doing it.

I hear ya Al

I find comfort in this thread. Seems I've been isolated here in Hawaii about current events on the east coast. Not about to start a debate thread here. Passedpawn would have to step in and scold or worst, shut ''tis thread down

My wif

I had mice in the garage. I tried a "live" trap for a week, but the result was that I was just feeding them and making them strong. I finally had to use the standard snap the neck traps. They did the job, but I hated doing it.[/

I hear ya Al

I find comfort in this thread. Seems I've been isolated here in Hawaii about current events on the east coast. Not about to start a debate thread here. Passedpawn would have to step in and scold or worst, shut ''tis thread down

My wife had her four top front teeth surgically removed five days ago. They were failed root canals over 30 years old. According to a bunch of articles published on the interjet root canals are the source of many diseases which is denied by the ADA. I don't know. These are the things as mankind we should worry about. That and most importantly coexistence.

Acceptance and love, not like romantic love. Maybe the wrong but close word. Our ancestors no matter what town, city, province, state or country they came from lived in a period where hate and love existed. We are no different I suppose. But we can be. We can change lives around us for better or worse. Choose better my brothers and sisters. I believe in mankind. All mankind. I believe we are alone if we don't take care of each other

Peace and love to you and yours.

Cheers!
Dan

Back