I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me mother was a mermaid, me father was King Neptune.
I was BORN on the crest of a wave
and rocked in the cradle of the deep.
Seaweed and barnacles are me clothes.
Every tooth in me head is a marlinspike;
The hair on me head is hemp.
Every bone in me body is a spar,
and when I spits, I spits tar!
I is, I am, I are.

Didn't call him in, happened across him. I buy a book of tags every year just in case. This was cat #5 of that year. I shot him while chasing a monster buck that dodged me 4 seasons in a row before he was shot by an 11yr old a week before season opened.
That's a Ruger M77 MkII in .270 w/ Leupold VX-3. Love that rifle. I shoot a Marlin in .17hmr for small game.
This particular cat had a beautiful coat on one side and some sort of skin condition on the other. Waste of a tag and a big cat.
We don't talk about hunting the big cats around here. SSS

Me mother was a mermaid, me father was King Neptune.
I was BORN on the crest of a wave
and rocked in the cradle of the deep.
Seaweed and barnacles are me clothes.
Every tooth in me head is a marlinspike;
The hair on me head is hemp.
Every bone in me body is a spar,
and when I spits, I spits tar!
I is, I am, I are.

While you were away, Dan, I rambled in your place.
No one took offense, at least not to my face.

Glad to see you back,
You really got the knack.

To ramble and ramble, never taking any slack.

SubSailor gets it.

Not sure he's up now but when he see's my nautical poem that brings us both home. I'm sure he won't deny it was a great part of our lives.

Edit: I can't rhyme right now if my life depended on it. I'm more or less all spent.

Hope you are feeling better BobbiLynn. The flu sucks. Sounds like you endured through it. I'm glad you soon will be feeling better.

PS
(Don't ever tell any guy I said this. Girls, okay I'll condition it; some girls, almost all girls, are tougher than guys.)

I never said that.... awh criminy. Is this the internet? I can't take my words back. Shoot!

Dan said:
Hope you are feeling better BobbiLynn. The flu sucks. Sounds like you endured through it. I'm glad you soon will be feeling better.

PS
(Don't ever tell any guy I said this. Girls, okay I'll condition it; some girls, almost all girls, are tougher than guys.)

I never said that.... awh criminy. Is this the internet? I can't take my words back. Shoot!

I'll buy it. Today my wife worked two jobs, then cooked and cleaned the house. Me, I worked 10 hours and now I'm sitting here drinking beer and feeling sorry for myself.

Hope you are feeling better BobbiLynn. The flu sucks.

I talked to my best friend, Laura, today and told her what hubby said, "I don't complain like that when I'm feeling bad!" She laughed, we both laughed. Still feel like crap but better than yesterday. Heating pad on my back, tomorrow is day 3, should be easing up. Just been playing around online and sleeping, also reset a trap today. How you been?

Hey BobbiLynn,
Sounds like you are feeling a little better my friend, even if close to but not quite as bad as that crap that you were feeling like before.

BL... mind if I ask a question. This has sort of become your baliwack. Thinking about asking a question about the humaniness follies we al have?

Dan said:
Are we on the same page BB? Think we are. But let me restate. The women in our lives are our Rock!

Indeed. Mine just made some fancy decorative pillows for a room at the spa she works at, and now she is sitting here next to me drinking Patron tequila out of the bottle. She's quite ladylike ordinarily, so I can tell she's had enough of today.

BL... mind if I ask a question. This has sort of become your baliwack. Thinking about asking a question about the humaniness follies we al have?

Pretty sure I already did that. Now there is some guy PMing me about proper procedures. Do I look like I follow "proper" procedures. Still trying to figure out if he's serious or just pulling my chain. I thought he was joking, now realizing I think he's 100% serious. Oh yes, I am the perfect person to ask for advice... :cross:

If I say I was the one who started this crazy thread... just saying that I'm sure it would be a stupid thing to do.. So I'll let you all know ..it wss certainly me.

I wonder a few things. Have you ever been embarrassed? Have you ever put yourself out there? If you can say no. I was going to say GTFOFthisT. Which means, and I'm not going to swear. " Get the f OfF This Thread. or GTFOTT. Hope to raspberries the previuos words never become something.

What the rasberries am I saying? I hate vulgar. Get you drunken point across. It doesnt have to be done vulgarly.

By the time I post this, either there will be many before me or thread has been dead awhile.

Cheers

Dan said:
If I say I was the one who started this crazy thread... just saying that I'm sure it would be a stupid thing to do.. So I'll let you all know ..it wss certainly me.

I wonder a few things. Have you ever been embarrassed? Have you ever put yourself out there? If you can say no. I was going to say GTFOFthisT. Which means, and I'm not going to swear. " Get the f OfF This Thread. or GTFOTT. Hope to raspberries the previuos words never become something.

What the rasberries am I saying? I hate vulgar. Get you drunken point across. It doesnt have to be done vulgarly.

By the time I post this, either there will be many before me or thread has been dead awhile.

Cheers

Dan, I'm not sure I understand what you just said but I like your style. In particular I like that you used the word vulgar in its adverb form. And most all I love this time of night on HBT.

Cheers

I like this time at night on HBT. I do!!!

Dan, I'm not sure I understand what you just said but I like your style. In particular I like that you used the word vulgar in its adverb form. And most all I love this time of night on HBT.

Hey, that's what I was going to say, you beat me to it!!

Damn Bobbi, look at this thing. Capybara.. Mmmmm mmm.

image-1627791334.jpg

Cheers

okay let's try to break this down...

Here Dan is admitting he started this topic, which is not really a topic because there is no rhyme or reason.

I believe he is saying, "Unless you have gotten so drunk that you embarrassed yourself online, you aren't worthy of participating in this topic." Go away and fart by yourself?

He means, please, can we not talk about farting?

I think here he is saying, whatever happens, it is meant to be. Live with it.

I'll let poster delete and not save his rant.

Deleted posts... but where are we going now? Wasn't this the whole point? We aren't going anywhere in particular? Keep the rants!!! And the rats!!! The thighs on that thing look tasty, capybara you say?

Is that a Rem 700 you're holding? I love my 700 .30-06.

That is exactly the rifle I was initially thinking of starting with. Time has changed my leaning ever so slightly to .308, but I'm not 100% clear on the difference between the 700 and its related bolt-action models (e.g. 710, 770, etc). I tried one out a bit though and the action wasn't very smooth... in fact it was quite tight, and the guy showing it to me said it was normal for a Rem 700 (and pulled out a new Savage rifle which had an extremely smooth bolt action). Is this really the case with model 700s?

Might this make it worth looking at the semi-auto - i.e. a model 750 - instead? Any other thoughts? Keep in mind that automatic firearms are banned here, and rifle magazines are limited to 5 rounds in most places and instances, including hunting... which, I should probably make clear is entirely why I am looking into getting guns, the ownership of which will be entirely incidental to this reason.

Here Dan is admitting he started this topic, which is not really a topic because there is no rhyme or reason.

Oh silly Boobie-Lynn,
'm'a have'ta disagree with you this time
Yet AGAIN, his thread is lackin' reason
But **** me, if Dan ain't got no rhyme!

emjay said:
That is exactly the rifle I was initially thinking of starting with. Time has changed my leaning ever so slightly to .308, but I'm not 100% clear on the difference between the 700 and its related bolt-action models (e.g. 710, 770, etc). I tried one out a bit though and the action wasn't very smooth... in fact it was quite tight, and the guy showing it to me said it was normal for a Rem 700 (and pulled out a new Savage rifle which had an extremely smooth bolt action). Is this really the case with model 700s?

Might this make it worth looking at the semi-auto - i.e. a model 750 - instead? Any other thoughts? Keep in mind that automatic firearms are banned here, and rifle magazines are limited to 5 rounds in most places and instances, including hunting... which, I should probably make clear is entirely why I am looking into getting guns, the ownership of which will be entirely incidental to this reason.

Oh silly Boobie-Lynn,
'm'a have'ta disagree with you this time
Yet AGAIN, his thread is lackin' reason
But **** me, if Dan ain't got no rhyme!

The 700 and its variants will loosen up and smooth out with use. When I talk about rifle use I'm talking hundreds if not thousands of rounds. A good rifle will last multiple lifetimes if taken care of and quality is worth it. If I were you, and I was only buying one rifle I wouldn't buy anything but a .30-06. It is hands down the most versatile and available round in the country. For a varmint (coyote and rabbit) I shoot an AR-15, other than that, all of mine are bolt action with the exception of a pump .270 that is mostly just because its cool and unique. Buy a bolt action. If you want to a competent gunsmith can polish the bolt and sears and smooth it out, or you can just shoot it as is. Fit is important. If you notice the rifle I'm holding has an odd colored butt pad. I had 1/8 of an inch taken off the stock and changed the butt pad out to one that fit me better and it made a world of difference in how I shoot. Well, in the comfort I had while shooting.
I am a fan of Savage rifles too. They make a good rifle.

Years and years ago Savage was the pimple on the butt in the gun world and I would not have owned one but they have radically improved to the point that I bought one in a .204 caliber.

I really debated over a 30 caliber or a .270 and my main hunting rifle is a weatherby vanguard chambered in .270 I have used it to shoot everything from rockchucks to elk and about the only thing I would hesitate to shoot might be a bear with it. I do have a .308 as well but I do not find myself going to that gun nearly as much as I do the .270 and now that the army is using a .270 you can find a ton of FMJ bullets to reload with.

For the money I would either buy a Weatherby or a Savage unless you are going to float the barrel and bed the action. Both shoot sub moa right out of the box and will give you a lifetime of use. Also for my money I would not buy anything larger than a 30 caliber unless you plan a trip to Africa where they have minimum bore rules.

I would also rather strongly urge any one getting into shooting to reload their own brass. Much cheaper meaning you can have more trigger time and you can tailor a round that your gun likes. For instance my 22-250 will shoot under a half inch groups with cheap speer bullets and BLC powder but I buy the expensive rounds for it and it shoots 1 1/2 groups.

Mainly have fun man. I really enjoy going out and getting some trigger time:rockin:

Didn't call him in, happened across him. I buy a book of tags every year just in case. This was cat #5 of that year. I shot him while chasing a monster buck that dodged me 4 seasons in a row before he was shot by an 11yr old a week before season opened.
That's a Ruger M77 MkII in .270 w/ Leupold VX-3. Love that rifle. I shoot a Marlin in .17hmr for small game.
This particular cat had a beautiful coat on one side and some sort of skin condition on the other. Waste of a tag and a big cat.
We don't talk about hunting the big cats around here. SSS

I love my Savage chambered in .204 for small game. I shoot the V-Max 40 grain bullet and am pretty deadly with it out to 800 yds but then it just runs out of steam.

I have not seen very much bobcat sign for a few years around here but the mt lion population has really jumped. I cannot help but think the wolves are killing the bobcats and then the mt lions doing better because no competition

Varmintman said:
I love my Savage chambered in .204 for small game. I shoot the V-Max 40 grain bullet and am pretty deadly with it out to 800 yds but then it just runs out of steam.

I have not seen very much bobcat sign for a few years around here but the mt lion population has really jumped. I cannot help but think the wolves are killing the bobcats and then the mt lions doing better because no competition

If I know I won't be shooting at anything bigger than a cat/raccoon/etc I take my .17hmr with the vmax 17gr. That little rim fire is a kick in the pants to shoot. I ain't getting 800yd out if it, but I'm not hunting anything further than probably 200 with it either.

The mt lions are really starting to go nuts here and they are waaaaay protected. Pulling an abatement license is virtually impossible, even with proof of down livestock. You pretty much have to prove that the specific cat has taken them down. That paired with no doe hunting season has created an abundance of barren does ie. mt lion food.

I buffed the sears on a 17 rimfire for a relative a few years ago and took it out to shoot. I love the fact that you can spot your own shots since it does not kick a bit. But that is the only time I have shot one:mad:

I pretty much shoot the heaviest bullet I can in my rifles just because the BC is so much better with a longer bullet. Well except my 22-250 and it loves the cheap 40 grain surplus speer ammo.

I am thinking a small single shot 17 rimfire would be a great carry gun for rabbits. Dang .204 does not leave much for eating

Varmintman said:
I buffed the sears on a 17 rimfire for a relative a few years ago and took it out to shoot. I love the fact that you can spot your own shots since it does not kick a bit. But that is the only time I have shot one:mad:

I pretty much shoot the heaviest bullet I can in my rifles just because the BC is so much better with a longer bullet. Well except my 22-250 and it loves the cheap 40 grain surplus speer ammo.

I am thinking a small single shot 17 rimfire would be a great carry gun for rabbits. Dang .204 does not leave much for eating

For eating rabbits I'd shoot the 20gr FMJ. Nice clean pass through as long as you stay within around 125yds. I'm definitely shooting minute of squirrel with the 17gr

I've never liked large caliber hunting rifles in semi-auto. Semi-auto can be tough on the action of the firearm, especially hunting rifles. Not saying they aren't quality, but I've heard too many anecdotal stories of jams and misfires the more powerful calibers to risk hunting with one. I'm a one shot guy, so bolt action is perfect for me in a hunting situation.

My bolt is still a little rough, but as Varmintman pointed out, they improve with age. My 700 has the age, but not the experience. ;) It was actually purchased by my grandfather in 1973, but barely used. If you had to guess, you'd think I bought it a few years ago. I just put 20 rounds through it at a range recently, which was probably the most it's seen in years. The scope was still dead on from when I sighted it about 6 years ago. I'm very careful with my firearms; I treat them much more delicately than I really have too.

This is a cool video I found. The guy is Canadian like emjay, but emjay couldn't handle this shot.
[ame]http://youtu.be/iaiy8KccVcw[/ame]

This is a cool video I found. The guy is Canadian like emjay, but emjay couldn't handle this shot.
http://youtu.be/iaiy8KccVcw

Man that was a good shot. I had a few you tube videos but they got pulled down. Silly people who do not hunt. But I still got my 300 yrd head shot on a chuck. Mind you it was not on purpose but he turned into the bullet right as I fired

Last edited by a moderator:
So Bobbi what is for dinner tonight. Heres hoping you caught the possum:rockin:

No possum and apples left uneaten. He'll have to come out for water eventually. Also realized I have mace, that might get him out of there!!!!

Back