I like half-fermented beer, am I the only one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skw

Reaction score
I'm almost addicted to drinking gravity samples. Right now I have a sample in my glass that's at 8°P (down from 20°P), still full of sugar, hops trub and active yeast. Far from a finished beer, it has a mixture of alcohol taste, sweetness and fresh hops aroma. Am I the only one for actually really liking this taste and wishing that the final result will come close to this?

I'm going to say...probably. I certainly dont mind the taste of half-fermented samples but they are far from ideal or great in my opinion.

Yeah, while I enjoy my gravity samples I'm not a fan of that being my final product at all....

Sorry, I am mentally lumping this in with "Strange Fetishes".

I imagine you only getting 3.5 gallons in the keg..(because you took 1.5 gallons of "samples"), secretly pretending to carb the keg, but in reality only pushing it with 3 PSI....and when it starts to run clear, you keep packets of yeast handy to dump a little into your glass to cloudy it up...

PERVERT!!!!!

;)

I think it would be an interesting experiment to stall a fermentation 10-20% above final gravity, cold crash and force carb and keep chilled til brite. Of course you would need the right recipe to keep the malt and hops in balance....

I like the taste of my samples. Why wouldn't I. It is like cooking. If you can't stand the taste of the ingredients you probably won't like the finished dish. So why are you making it.
I do like the finished beer the best, but getting there is also good.

I guess Iv'e never thought about trying it. I'm very paranoid about infection. So I usually follow the Ron Popeil method of "Set it and forget it" I don't think I've even lifted the lid on a fermenter under two weeks in. Maybe I'll have to give it a try one of these times.

I like the taste of my samples. Why wouldn't I. It is like cooking.
Thank you, I already thought I was the only weird one! :)
My fermentor has a tap near the bottom. I don't need to lift the lid to take gravity samples, all I need to do is sanitize the tap after drawing a sample.

Back