I just realized I'm doomed to brew a Pilsner.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaEA

Reaction score
Specifically, I have to try a brew a Blatz pilsener. Anyone out there able to tell me anything about the original Blatz - before Pabst bought it out in '59?.

Thanks,

Anna

I wish I could assist. Your post caught my eye: When I was in Army Basic Training at Ft Knox KY in '81, we were allowed to go to the cantina once in six weeks. They served two beers: Old Milwaukee and Blatz. At the time, the Blatz was the best beer in the world to us. I'll never forget it.

I did find this: http://forum.northernbrewer.com/t/blatz-extract-clone/82

Specifically, I have to try a brew a Blatz pilsener. Anyone out there able to tell me anything about the original Blatz - before Pabst bought it out in '59?.

I can only hazard a rather generic guess that should get you into the ballpark:

Assuming all-grain:
-------------------------
~70% Rahr 6-Row barley malt, ~2.3L (6-Row was the norm back then, thus the need for corn/rice to achieve clarity)
~30% flaked corn
~OG = 1.048
~IBU's = 20 (single hopped at the start of the 60 minute boil, Magnum should suffice)
Fermentis 34/70 yeast, try to hold at ~56 degrees F. (at that temp Nottingham will work about as well)
Typical Pilsner/Lager procedures from there

If you are new to all grain, assume 70% efficiency (on first guess) in order to compute your grain bill and hops quantity. Last Magnum I purchased was 12.4 AA. 'Grape and Granary' in Akron, OH carries Rahr 6-Row.

You will also assuredly need a few ounces of "acidulated malt" added to your grain bill in order to lower your mash pH into the range of ~5.2 to 5.6. How much acid malt will be dependent upon your water analysis, your mash water quantity, your added minerals and their respective quantities, and your grist bill quantities. I suggest only adding a small amount of calcium chloride to your water (3 grams for every 5 gallons, assuming essentially zero calcium to start in your water, and this requires starting with RO or distilled). If you start with RO or distilled, and add 3 grams CaCl2, and your intent is to end up with about 7 gallons in the boil, and about 5.7 gallons in the fermenter, then it is a safe bet that acid malt will likely be on the order of 3-1/2 ounces.

Oh man... my last name is Heck. I just realized I'm definitely doomed to brew a helles lager and call is Heckkes Lager.

Latest posts

Back