I just had an uh oh moment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMarty911

Reaction score
So about 5 days ago I made my first batch. Brew house Red Ale. Followed instructions etc. so as I've got anoth two ish weeks in the primary I thought I'd double check how much priming sugar to add. To my chagrin, I realized that when it called for the contents of package 1 to be added to the extra water and wort, it probably meant everything but the dextrose. Damn! So does this package of dextrose make any difference to my beer? Or is it just a damn nice sugar buffet for the yeasties?
Now I have to go and figure out how much priming sugar to use for bottling :drunk:

Its probably 5 oz. Of dextrose, and it will bump the abv a tad. Get 5oz more for bottling. No worries :)

yeah youre going to get a fraction higher ABV in your beer and now you need something to prime your beer with! The good news is since youve pitched in your dextrose you can open up your wild side with priming ideas ;) table sugar, dextrose, honey, priming tablets... it all works

Thanks for alleviating my fears! What do you all recommend for a priming sugar. Being new I have no clue about this part, other than its purpose. Do different primers impart different favors etc?

Any sugar is fine. Most use table sugar. It's not enough to make a flavor difference.

I like corn sugar so I propose an idea. Go to your homebrew store or whatever online site you buy from, get some dextrose, and get yourself another kit and another carboy/bucket! Do it now! You will do it eventually anyways. There is a reason people call it an obsession rather than a hobby.

I like corn sugar so I propose an idea. Go to your homebrew store or whatever online site you buy from, get some dextrose, and get yourself another kit and another carboy/bucket! Do it now! You will do it eventually anyways. There is a reason people call it an obsession rather than a hobby.

Way ahead of ya! I have 2 glass carboys and another primary fermenter bucket ;)

Back