I just had a great idea!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxedout

Reaction score
I had built this large enclosure for a reptile that would grow fairly large... Well that whole thing appears to have fallen through. So I walked by it this morning and thought.... "Hmmm, if I insulate it and add a window unit I might be able to make a fermentation chamber out if this bad boy! "Pictures are below, and note it is sturdy and moisture tight. I'm about $500 into it and don't want it to go to waist. The door is 3ftx6ft and open all the way 180degrees. The base on the inside is a 9inch drop from the door opening and will hold the weight if me and my 2 kids. (Don't ask lol) also locks with a key so no in supervised tampering. Tell me what y'all think and what problems I might have please. I have to disassemble to get it out of the house so some changes are possible. Thanks! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410884922.274940.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1410885218.020817.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1410885486.326627.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1410886025.417493.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1410886288.938343.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1410886353.392002.jpg

looks really nice. get some of that pink insulator board and a cold source and it will work nicely.

It was originally overnight housing for a Argentine Black and White Tegu. I'm really thinking this might be perfect!

What would you use for a cold source?

being in the living room an airconditioning unit hanging off it would prolly be too loud and look bad. :cross:

from his pictures it looks like he has a decent amount of space under it. maybe a small dehumidifier with a glycol cooling setup. would have to add a couple small PC fans to let the heat out from under there, but it could work.

What would you use for a cold source?

being in the living room an airconditioning unit hanging off it would prolly be too loud and look bad. :cross:

from his pictures it looks like he has a decent amount of space under it. maybe a small dehumidifier with a glycol cooling setup. would have to add a couple small PC fans to let the heat out from under there, but it could work.

He's already eluded to moving the thing and using a wall unit. :confused:

So... First, I will be moving it into my garage (I think, I have to first pitch the indoor idea to the wife.) I have half of my 2 car garage that I will be building a full brew setup tapped into my water and natural gas, so I'm not sure about space in the garage to add this. Second, I like the glycol cooling setup idea, I have 3ftx6ftx2.5ft LxWxH of space underneath, and the entire back of that area is open air.

Any ideas of a glycol cooling setup I could get an idea from? I should have about $1000 to work with after I buy all my pots and carboys.

you said you need carboys. maybe think of this Fastfermenter

www.thefastrack.ca/main/fastferment

That's pretty cool. Seems like a good concept... I worry about one thing that just happened to me, my gravity only dropped 50% before it leveled off, and after moving to secondary I guess it sparked a second wind out d the yeast and got it going again. I have heard of this happening to others as well.

Good news! Wife says it can stay inside! Trying to decide between two SS conical fermenters in there, or loading it up with carboys. The wife says it woul be cool for people to see the fermentation taking place as opposed to shiny things lol. Oh, and also how to cool it quietly.

Thanks for the heads up... I just read this article
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/27/AR2007022700312.html
About light and beer, I guess I just always assumed it was uv light that did damage, but apparently it is visible light as well. My fermenters are just sitting in a north facing room that gets ambient light all day... I'm running to go move them now.

As for my new Ferm Chamber.... Looks like two stout conical fermenters it is! Lol, shucks.

Thanks for the idea! That would work while also being able to have them open. I'm not gonna worry about the light or windows if I go with SS conical ferms. That's still a month or so out. I guess I might as well go big or go home ya know

Back