I hope this isn't an infection...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpb2716

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
11 days ago I brewed my first all grain batch. After 10 or so extract batches I decided to step it up a notch. I brewed Edwort's kolsch recipe and the brew day went great. As of yesterday some of the krausen hadn't fallen and I was still getting a bubble through the blowoff tube every 20 or so seconds. I took a sample and it tasted FANTASTIC. Gravity was spot on. So after that, I swapped the blowoff tube for an S shaped airlock and cold crashed it. 24 hours into the cold crashing, some of what was floating had sunk. However, there is still some stuff floating (see photo) and I'm getting a little bit of bubbling through the airlock. I've seen many many photos of infections but this looks like remnants of the krausen. It's tough to see in the picture. Maybe I'm being too optimistic. Let me know what you think. Thanks guys!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450400087.997784.jpg

Bubbling through the airlock during a cold crash?
In which direction?

If you're focused on those two whitish spots I can see why you're concerned.
But from where I'm sitting it's not a slam dunk either way - could just be yeast rafts, could be the start of something more interesting...

Cheers!

Bubbling through the airlock during a cold crash?
In which direction?

If you're focused on those two whitish spots I can see why you're concerned.
But from where I'm sitting it's not a slam dunk either way - could just be yeast rafts, could be the start of something more interesting...

Cheers!

The white areas are glare off of the glass carboy. The floating spots kinda look creamy like when dry yeast is rehydrated. That may be a horrible way to describe it.

The bubbling is coming out of the airlock which I've never encountered during a cold crash but I've read about others having that same issue.

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it!

So they're calledyeast rafts? I had something very similar when I opened up my fermenting bucket last week. I just thought what the heck though, cuz I couldn't find any similar looking "infections." So I just assumed all was well, and just decided to rack to the bottling bucket and got it all bottled. It smelt great, and the sample was ok, but I'm really hoping with some aging it will come out great.

Clearly pediocockus responsus! Bottle all 5 gallons and send to my laboratory for further evaluation immediately.

Ok great, I feel much better about the situation now. I guess I panicked a bit when it wasn't sinking while it was being crashed.

I learn something new everyday on this site. Thanks for the help everyone!

Back