I hope this didn't ruin my batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LutzBrauerei

Reaction score
Hey all, I have 10 gallons of Oktoberfest Marzen lagering right now that I brewed on St. Paddy's Day and have a question of you all. I had to leave on business shortly thereafter and couldn't transfer it to a secondary before I left. My main concerns are:

1) soapy taste from fatty acid breakdown
2) meaty taste from autolysis of the yeast

If I was able to keep the Marzen temp controlled such 65F for Diacetyl rest, down to 52F for the secondary, down to 34 for cold crashing/lagering, would I be able to avoid those flavors?

I know the yeast won't autolyze if the temp are below 40 but I am also trying to keep the fatty acids in the trub from breaking down as well. will temps next to freezing inhibit the fatty acid breakdown?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey all, I have 10 gallons of Oktoberfest Marzen lagering right now that I brewed on St. Paddy's Day and have a question of you all. I had to leave on business shortly thereafter and couldn't transfer it to a secondary before I left. My main concerns are:

1) soapy taste from fatty acid breakdown
2) meaty taste from autolysis of the yeast

If I was able to keep the Marzen temp controlled such 65F for Diacetyl rest, down to 52F for the secondary, down to 34 for cold crashing/lagering, would I be able to avoid those flavors?

I know the yeast won't autolyze if the temp are below 40 but I am also trying to keep the fatty acids in the trub from breaking down as well. will temps next to freezing inhibit the fatty acid breakdown?

Any advice would be appreciated.

So.... it is still sitting on the yeast right now?? 4 months since brewing?

You talk about temp control of 65,52, 34........ What temperature did you primary ferment at? I am assuming you did a primary ferment at 48-52 BEFORE you did the D-Rest at 65???? Or not?

here's the breakdown (Current as of today)

Primary (21 days @ 48F)
Diacetyl Rest (7 Days @65F)
Secondary (28 days @ 52F)
Lagering (160 days @ 34F)

All in the same vessel

Everything is slowed down the chiller you get... So while I can't be sure, being at 34 will definitely help matters... You'll only really know when you get back to taste it though.

Yeah - not much you can do about it if you are not there anyway. As soon as you get back, taste it and you will know. If it tastes good, rack to keg, carbonate and drink.
You will definitely be able to answer the question that comes up often:

"How long can I let my beer sit on the yeast?"

Yeah - not much you can do about it if you are not there anyway. As soon as you get back, taste it and you will know. If it tastes good, rack to keg, carbonate and drink.
You will definitely be able to answer the question that comes up often:

"How long can I let my beer sit on the yeast?"

Right??? This is going to be one helluva brew experiment!

I appreciate the input and will update this thread when I get a chance to taste it!

Many homebrewers say that autolysis is a myth, given the low pressures and the shape of homebrewing fermentation vessels.

Let us know, either way, good experiment even if unintended.

I have a feeling you're all good. :mug:

I "boxed" a beer on July 6th that was brewed on March 15th and has sat in plastic bucket primary at about 63°F untouched. It taste fine and natural carb/priming kicked off within a few hours.

RDWHAHB

Back