I have to ask....is this an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yambor44

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is a Winexpert Merlot kit. It's the third one I have done. Never seen this with the other two, also reds.

I made it on 12/29/13 OG 1.092
1/8/14 Step 2 - racked to glass carboy, no top up, gravity now .996 let sit.

1/26/14 Step 3 gravity now .994 added packets of metabisulphite and sorbate and stirred to stir up the bottom per instructions. Then added isinglass and degassed also per instructions. Used wand in cordless drill to degas. Did not top off. I didn't in the past with the other two without issue. I've seen and read a lot where some don't and some prefer not to without issue.

Let sit.

After 8 days the top seemed to still be frothy so I left it. Today I finally shined a flashlight on it and see some biggish bubbles on top the same color as the wine (see below). The wine does not have any foul odor that I can detect. I am getting ready to do step 4 which is to rack to another carboy and leave for 14 days.

Does this look like some type of infection?

12371133635_72aa6c1d62_b.jpg

12371141255_6555818fea_b.jpg

12371138105_56ebb032a9_b.jpg

Looks like sedament that floated to the top. Was there any befor you degassed? If not for the added sorbate and sulfa I would say a last ditch fermentaion has started. Even as dry as it is, it could still drop a few points. That will push any solids to the top.
I would rack to a new carboy. Leaving behind the bubbles. If it taste good you should be fine. I also do not top off. I did so once with water. Yuck!! Its now wine, juice or nothing! The wine will be fine for several months with some headspace.

Thanks jensmith. I think you are correct. I'll move it today to another carboy leaving the sediment behind. I WILL post back in a week or two with how it looks.

Keep in mind these kits contain less sulfites than something you would normally brew, and they also recommend if you are letting your wine bulk age or go longer than two months you should top your carboy off.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Good point Hinkdad. My kit says to: "add 1/2 tsp of metabisulphite powder to 1/2 cup of cool water and gently stir into the wine" if I am going to age longer than 6 months. I assume this means bulk age? I plan to bottle in 2-3 weeks and let age in the bottle.

Good point Hinkdad. My kit says to: "add 1/2 tsp of metabisulphite powder to 1/2 cup of cool water and gently stir into the wine" if I am going to age longer than 6 months. I assume this means bulk age? I plan to bottle in 2-3 weeks and let age in the bottle.

No, that means if you're not drinking all the wine within 6 months.
But generally, the "dosage" is 1/4 teaspoon of the powder for 6 gallons, not 1/2 teaspoon (that's about 100 ppm or more!) or 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon.

I would encourage you to make sure you top off, in order to prevent infection risks from a big headspace, as well as oxidation.

Lol. I actually sent her a PM before staring this thread and that was her first question. :)

Please forgive me if this is opening a can of worms, but is topping up absolutely necessary? It reminds me of the old leave it in the primary or rack it to the secondary argument. Please understand I wasn't asking for advice and then trying to ignore it or argue about it, I just would really like to understand the pros and cons if any of doing it or not doing it.

Yes, it is absolutely necessary. Not during primary and active fermentation, but afterwards. There are a couple of reasons. One is the risk of oxidation. It's not a huge deal for a few weeks or so- but after that, it is. I've had wine that has been lightly oxidized, and it's not good.

The main reason is that topping up prevents potential infection risks from allowing some oxygen or air contact. Mold is one, but there are many others. Even lactobacillus, while anaeorbic, gets a start from being in the air in the headspace. Other things like rope infection, flowers of wine, acetobacter (vinegar), mold, etc all can take hold in the headspace of the wine. It's not going to happen 100% of the time- but it does happen and more often than most people realize.

Normally, with those wineexpert kits they tell you to not top off initially so you have room to degas, but then to top up right after degassing is finished to protect the wine.

I would use a similar wine as to not dilute down your product, but sterile water will work.

I'd rather not "blend" it. That's the main reason I didn't want to top up.... dilution. When you say sterile water, is that boiled then chilled or is the bottled spring water good?

Okay. Added about 3/4 gallon of bottled spring water along with 1/4 tsp of Potassium Metabisulphite in case it goes past 6 months in the bottle which some surely should.

12444317505_0392a9134e_c.jpg

Back