I have recreated - Miller.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billvon

Reaction score
Did an experiment last month, a SMaSH with american two-row, German Tradition hops and US-05 yeast. It was based loosely on the "SMaSHing Blonde Ale" in the recipe database here, which got good reviews.

Anyway tried it for the first time this week - and it tastes amazingly like Miller. I mean, it's not a bad copy of Miller, but it's still Miller. Maybe next time I do a SMaSH I'll mash a little hotter to get a little more body.

(This makes me 0-2 on SMaSHes; I did a Maris Otter SMaSH that absolutely refused to carbonate.)

It's only Miller if you triple hop brewed it. I also like how you mention your recipe is based loosely on another. Dude, it's a SMaSH so there are only three ingredients!

I'm sorry it tastes like miller :( hopefully next time it will turn out :rockin:

Don't feel bad. I recently brewed an amber ale that unfortunately came out tasting exactly like Red Dog.

reddog.jpg

Don't ask how I even know what Red Dog tastes like. It was in college about 10 years ago and that flavor is burned into my brain :D

It's only Miller if you triple hop brewed it.

And only if you used those chemically extracted hops that Miller uses to prevent skunking in those clear bottles.

How long did you bottle condition, and what were your OG and FG?

My guess is with some time, the malt characteristics will blend better with your hops, giving you a more full bodied taste, thereby getting rid of the Miller-like attributes. At least that's what I hope :D

:off:
Red Dog. I was sitting at work yesterday thinking about the backyard bbq's of my youth. My uncle at the grill, my cousin and I by his side waiting for when he needed a beer. "Boys, I need another beer. I understand if it's half gone when I get it....well that's just a delivery fee." We would run to the cooler and get a Red Dog. Man, those were good times. I had forgotten about that beer. Hadn't seen it in years. Decided to go online and found that they recently started production back up. Called our local Miller distributor and found that the Meijer not 200 feet across our parking lot sells it. Right after work I went and bought a 30 pack. Rushed home and got 3 of them in an ice bath. 20 minutes later....I was a kid again. I know it's cheap american pi$$ water to some, but to me it was heaven. I will now keep it stocked along with my PBR, two hearted, optimator, and two kegs of homebrew...

I just needed to share.

Red Dog. I was sitting at work yesterday thinking about the backyard bbq's of my youth. My uncle at the grill, my cousin and I by his side waiting for when he needed a beer. "Boys, I need another beer. I understand if it's half gone when I get it....well that's just a delivery fee." We would run to the cooler and get a Red Dog. Man, those were good times. I had forgotten about that beer. Hadn't seen it in years. Decided to go online and found that they recently started production back up. Called our local Miller distributor and found that the Meijer not 200 feet across our parking lot sells it. Right after work I went and bought a 30 pack. Rushed home and got 3 of them in an ice bath. 20 minutes later....I was a kid again. I know it's cheap american pi$$ water to some, but to me it was heaven. I will now keep it stocked along with my PBR, two hearted, optimator, and two kegs of homebrew...

I just needed to share.

TY for sharing. :)

Army memories for me... I don't know how a certain Sgt. in my platoon was still functional putting away a case a night, but he did really like Red Dog... and he was born in Germany. Maybe that explains part of the mystery. ;)

2010 World Beer Cup Gold Gold Medal Winner in
Category 1: American-Style Cream Ale or Lager, 17 entries
Gold: Red Dog, Miller Brewing Co., Milwaukee, WI
Silver: Old Style, Pabst Brewing Co., Woodridge, IL
Bronze: Lone Star, Pabst Brewing Co., Woodridge, IL

WOW! if these won gold, silver and bronze I wonder how bad the other 14 entries where!!!!

(This makes me 0-2 on SMaSHes; I did a Maris Otter SMaSH that absolutely refused to carbonate.)

Update on this - after TWO MONTHS in a warm garage, the Maris Otter SMaSH has finally begun to carbonate! I tried one the other day and it wasn't half bad. Not much to it, but it's definitely more complex (more body, very slight nuttiness) than the 2-row SMaSH. It's becomng a drinkable lawnmower beer.

I've taken a whiz in a bucket too. No big deal. :D

Seriously, Miller Lite is my go to lawnmower and fishing beer. Granted, it doesn't taste like anything but sometimes that's what you want.

Did an experiment last month. . .

OK, almost two months have gone by since I made this, and I tried another one last night. Gotten much better. It's almost belgian-y; it's gotten much more complex somehow, like a farmhouse saison without the esters. It looks good too.

SMaSH.jpg

OK, almost two months have gone by since I made this, and I tried another one last night. Gotten much better. It's almost belgian-y; it's gotten much more complex somehow, like a farmhouse saison without the esters. It looks good too.

Good color, good clarity... nice lookin' beer!! :ban:

Back