I have no idea what this is...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamisan

Reaction score
This is a cider that has been in secondary for about a week with a few cinnamon sticks and some brown sugar tossed in. I went to check on it tonight after I got home from work and I found this weird black thing floating around inside. Is this just a piece of the cinnamon stick maybe? I dont think it's a bug. Could it be mold? I'm not sure what else could have caused something like this. This is also not the only piece, there are much smaller black pieces floating around as well, primarily on the surface.

I'm concerned that the cider wont be good to drink. Anyone got any ideas?
20181106_190342.jpeg
20181106_190424.jpeg

Is it stuck to the side or floating?

If floating....

Suck it out and carry on!

Is it stuck to the side or floating?

If floating....

Suck it out and carry on!
It's just floating it seems, not sure if I want to risk it but I guess I should attempt to figure out what it is first

Yar, ‘‘tis be mold, I reckon.

Was this a fairly high pH (low acid) juice that you used? If so, adding cinnamon sticks without any kind of sanitation / heat could have introduced it. Get those bits out if they’re and you’ll probably save the cider just fine

Back