I have joined the ranks of the unemployed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to GM for dragging their azz on the new Camaro and Hummer I have no work. We have been waiting since June of 07 for them to give us the PO to build on these. They keep telling us that it will be "this week or next, max".. WTFE...
In the last 6 months the shop I work for has gone from a 75 man shop to now 19. I was kind of shocked that I got let go and kind of not. I'm the 2nd highest paid in my office (the only higher is my boss) and I'm married, no kids and my wife makes more then I do on a 40 hour week. Where as the other designer has 3 kids, a wife, and he's the only one with a job.
I have a call back date 2 weeks out but if the work comes in I will go back early. Same goes the other way. If it does not come in, I wont be going back.
Thinking I'm going to spend a few days just cleaning the house from top to bottom and enjoying the homebrew and then if I have not heard anything I will start looking for something new.

So now I would like to thank you all for paying your taxes... I'm living on them now. :D

I do have an app in at The New Holland Brewery (was looking for a part time)... Maybe I'll be stopping out there and see if they need any help. :D

Sorry to hear about that, FSR402. With all the woes at GM you'd probably be well advised to start your search now instead of waiting, but you know better than I do. Thankfully you have a working wife bridge the gap. Good luck in your search.

Sorry to hear that. I grew up in a GM family. My dad called it Generous Motors back then. Times have changed. Good vibes coming your way.

FSR402 said:
So now I would like to thank you all for paying your taxes... I'm living on them now. :D

You are quite welcome. It's good to see the tens of thousands I pay each year in taxes finally go to a good use. :cross:

RDWHAHB!

FSR402 said:
Thanks to GM for dragging their azz on the new Camaro and Hummer I have no work. We have been waiting since June of 07 for them to give us the PO to build on these. They keep telling us that it will be "this week or next, max".. WTFE...
In the last 6 months the shop I work for has gone from a 75 man shop to now 19. I was kind of shocked that I got let go and kind of not. I'm the 2nd highest paid in my office (the only higher is my boss) and I'm married, no kids and my wife makes more then I do on a 40 hour week. Where as the other designer has 3 kids, a wife, and he's the only one with a job.
I have a call back date 2 weeks out but if the work comes in I will go back early. Same goes the other way. If it does not come in, I wont be going back.
Thinking I'm going to spend a few days just cleaning the house from top to bottom and enjoying the homebrew and then if I have not heard anything I will start looking for something new.

I do have an app in at The New Holland Brewery (was looking for a part time)... Maybe I'll be stopping out there and see if they need any help. :D
Dont worry things will work out. Sounds like you have a good mechanical background which means no matter what you will land on your feet. I'm a toolmaker by trade for the past 24 years. My area of speicalty has been wire EDM for the past 23 years. The auotmotive area is getting hit hard right now but hang in there you will get called back or another oportunity will open.

Well, on the bright side, your SWMBO is still working, and it sounds like she is the bigger breadwinner in your family, so hopefully this layoff won't hurt too badly. I was in the same situation last fall. Laid off with no end in sight. I have since found a new job, so it's a bit better now. Thank God for SWMBO working in my situation as well!
You'll be ok.

Sorry to hear that mate, the economy is really bad right now. I know quite a few people who work in the stock market in NYC and alot of them are getting laid off too. Our economy really needs a kickstart. Good luck.

Pugilist said:
Sorry to hear that mate, the economy is really bad right now. I know quite a few people who work in the stock market in NYC and alot of them are getting laid off too. Our economy really needs a kickstart. Good luck.

How bad is really bad? Compared to what? Personally, I don't see all the gloom & doom the media would have everyone believing in this election year.

Sales on Camaro's, Hummers, & other muscle cars are slowing down due to the price of gasoline. We can thank all the developing nations for that as they jump in line to buy oil. It's a market price.

Sure foreclosures are up, but the large majority of those are peoples investment home, second home, and speculation homes. Those folks got caught with their pants down. Very few mortgages on primary residence are defaulting, but the MSM would have you think that the world was going to end.

FSR402 has marketable skills & education & experience to back it up. I for one believe he will do fine even if GM stops building Hummers & Camaros.

Well, look on the bright side... you have homebrew, a working wife, a tax return coming and your $1200 from the "stimulus package" right? Just filed our taxes today, a solid 2 weeks worth of pay coming back to us, not to mention our $1500 from GW.

FSR402 said:

Sorry to hear that bro, Looks like your doing a good job keeping your chin up! Are you in the Union? Cause it seems like they can find something for you. If not I hope you get a call back!

****Not a troll, serious question here****

What's the UAW doin' for you guys, or or you not a member?

Good luck, I'm heading to the unemployment line come April. Mine is willful, though. Best of luck finding work, or at least enjoying your lack of work.

You'll get called back sooner than you think...and when you're laboring away again, you'll ask yourself...

"....why the "f" didn't I brew every day I was off when I had the chance..." :D

Fire up that burner baby... :ban:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Looking for new work can be scary and frustrating, but it usually ends up with you being in a better position than you expected.

Be picky. You're worth it. :)

I live in MI and I'm a Toolmaker.

I won't elaborate on my experiences with livley-hood online, but hang onto your ass.

Those outside of MI can't relate; especially those that are not blue collar.

Things are not looking up soon, or longterm either.

Giving you false encouragement is a disservice.

PM and I'll relate.

~voice of much experience~

GM is by far one of the worst run companies that continues to somehow go on year by year.

Its depressing how badly they continue to screw up.

Henry Hill said:
Those outside of MI can't relate;
That's pretty much it. I know a ton of people who left the state and are telling me how much better things are in different parts of the country. Those of us who are staying are seeing friends stuck in jobs they hate because if they quit they have no where else to go. People just out of college are leaving the state in droves simply because there's nothing for them to do.

EdWort said:
How bad is really bad? Compared to what? Personally, I don't see all the gloom & doom the media would have everyone believing in this election year.
Michigan leads the country in unemployment, foreclosures and college students leaving the state after graduation. While you might be right that the national story about the economy is just election year hype, any Michiganders will tell you that our state is in a real economic crisis.

I used to live and work in MI... I grew up there. MI has been in economic crisis for a LONG time, and you are right, it is only getting worse. I live in Indianapolis now where I fly for an airline. The property values are low here, taxes are low and the wage earning potential is quite good. You will find that anywhere you go in the country, MI is the talk at the water cooler when it comes to job loss and economic depression. Thanks in part to the Big Three and lack of incentives for new business to relocate to MI.

YooperBrew said:
Are you eligible to be one of the guys who gets a "buy out" offer? Or can you just be laid off?
No because I don't work for GM I work for them all. We are a tier 1 tool shop. right now we are waiting on the Camaro, Hummer and something for Toyota.

GeorgeH said:
That's pretty much it. I know a ton of people who left the state and are telling me how much better things are in different parts of the country. Those of us who are staying are seeing friends stuck in jobs they hate because if they quit they have no where else to go. People just out of college are leaving the state in droves simply because there's nothing for them to do.

Michigan leads the country in unemployment, foreclosures and college students leaving the state after graduation. While you might be right that the national story about the economy is just election year hype, any Michiganders will tell you that our state is in a real economic crisis.

Can the last person leaving Michigan please turn the lights off... :(

It's really sad, but it has been 35 years since I've owned an "American" car. I use the quotes, because even that one had an engine from the U.K., Germany transmission and French tires. I've driven small station wagons up until I purchased my "Dodge" Sprinter van in 2004. When was the last time Detroit offered a small wagon? I quit looking in 1989.

david_42 said:
It's really sad, but it has been 35 years since I've owned an "American" car. I use the quotes, because even that one had an engine from the U.K., Germany transmission and French tires. I've driven small station wagons up until I purchased my "Dodge" Sprinter van in 2004. When was the last time Detroit offered a small wagon? I quit looking in 1989.

If you want "American made" you need to buy an import. I get into this all the time with people. I have a Chevy, a Dodge and a Mitsubishi The Dodge is not American made. The Chevy is because it's 15 years old and built in Bowlinggreen KY and the Mitsubishi is also built in the states. Someone will always say something like "yeah but the big money is going over seas". Well, that may be true to a point but tell me this. "Do you see any of that big money from the big three?" No, you don't and you never will so why does it matter where it goes as long as you are getting a fair pay check every week?

It seems like the governor thinks she can tax her way out of a statewide recession when all those taxes are a big reason jobs and people are voting with their feet and leaving. More taxes means less money in the hands of the people earning it, so they cannot buy things. When stuff is not sold, they stop making it. When they stop making it, they lay off workers, who then have even less money to buy things. It's a vicious cycle.

What a shame, cause Michigan is beautiful state.

FSR402 said:
If you want "American made" you need to buy an import.

Very true.. I saw an article a while back... Ford and Gm keep moving more and more production out of the U.S., Toyota on the other hand keeps moving more into the U.S. and we all know who is doing better.

Really, start looking now.

Turning down an offer is better than calling Marvin.

These scary events will continue and become more common.

The Michigan Talent Bank is Your Friend.

Headhunters will call with temp jobs-mercenary work is not enjoyable or lucrative.

Back