I have a keg, what else do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve76

Reaction score
I got a corny keg for Christmas, and am not sure what else I need to get going. I was looking at the a keg system at Midwes Supplies (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/cornelius-keg-system-with-5-lb-co2-tank-comes-empty.html) but all it says in addition to the keg, CO2 bottle, regulator and tap is "all necessary hoses and fittings.

So my question is what do I need for hoses and fittings? My plan is to put the whole thing in a spare refrigerator right now and just open the door to pour as it might take a little while to talk the wife into how practical a kegerator would be.

I will post a picture of the keg when I get home from work, not sure if it is pin lock or ball lock. I assume that makes a difference in fittings.

Also the keg feels light like it is aluminum, I thought they were stainless.

The fittings you need will depend on if it is a ball or pin lock keg. For a CO2 line, the length doesn't matter. For a beverage line, you will need to figure out a good length. A lot of people get longer lines so it is easier to have a nice pour. I used an online calculator (google "How to balance your kegging system") and have 6 foot lines that pour well in my situation.

As far as a picnic tap (it sounds like thats what you plan on using). Try to keep this as temporary as possible. I see a thread on here once a month where someone accidentally drained their keg because the tap was left open, or was pitched open, or just was bad. A picnic or party tap is just that, a tap you hook up for a few hours during a picnic or party.

Here is a picture of pin lock keg posts:
Pin-Lock-Posts.jpg

And ball lock posts:
images

I got a corny keg for Christmas, and am not sure what else I need to get going. I was looking at the a keg system at Midwes Supplies (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/cornelius-keg-system-with-5-lb-co2-tank-comes-empty.html) but all it says in addition to the keg, CO2 bottle, regulator and tap is "all necessary hoses and fittings.

So my question is what do I need for hoses and fittings? My plan is to put the whole thing in a spare refrigerator right now and just open the door to pour as it might take a little while to talk the wife into how practical a kegerator would be.

I will post a picture of the keg when I get home from work, not sure if it is pin lock or ball lock. I assume that makes a difference in fittings.

Also the keg feels light like it is aluminum, I thought they were stainless.

To dispense from inside your fridge, this is what you need, assuming you have ball lock kegs. http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/keg-kit-standard-homebrew/

If you have pin locks, we can provide this with pin lock quick disconnects instead of ball lock.

:mug:

Based on bknifefights pictures, I would say I have a ball lock. Thanks for all the feedback, and I will definately check out your site Birdman.

Back