I have a few questions about starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruppe

Reaction score
After reading a previous thread, I have a few questions about starters. Some of you may call me a sinner after reading some of the things I say, but I've been happily brewing for 4 or 5 years, extract plus partial mash, and have been very satisfied with my results. That being said, here we go.

I've done a few batches with starters, for various reasons, no problem. However, I've made a large number of batches without, also no problem, using "smack packs". I used to measure final gravity, and always came up a little short, but found that I actually like my ales (all I make due to lagering constraits) on the malty side. I always ferment in a carboy, and realized I didn't have to take gravity readings to know whether or not fermentation was done, I only needed to observe. I also rarely use "clean" yeasts (Wyeast 1056 for example), because I like the complexity from the others. Which leads to my first question.

Why would not making a starter diminish the attributes of a specific yeast?

When I did make a starter, made with light extract, I chucked in the whole starter, not just the yeast. After all, I was fermenting the basis of my beer anyhow. It's not like I was using jujubee fruit. This leads to my second question.

Why waste my time seperating the yeast when it's easier to dump the whole thing in?

I only raise these questions for one reason. I appreciate the science behind brewing, and love the fact that many are so pure and concise about technique, but I wonder how many people are scared away from brewing because of that. Making beer is easy, making good beer is not hard. Once you learn the basics, keep learning.

ruppe said:
Why would not making a starter diminish the attributes of a specific yeast?

When I did make a starter, made with light extract, I chucked in the whole starter, not just the yeast. After all, I was fermenting the basis of my beer anyhow. It's not like I was using jujubee fruit. This leads to my second question.

Why waste my time seperating the yeast when it's easier to dump the whole thing in?

I only raise these questions for one reason. I appreciate the science behind brewing, and love the fact that many are so pure and concise about technique, but I wonder how many people are scared away from brewing because of that. Making beer is easy, making good beer is not hard. Once you learn the basics, keep learning.

Well, like you said, making good beer is not hard, but some are looking to make the kind of beer that wins awards, so they are always going that one step further.

That being said, let me give my opinion on your questions, and this is just based upon my personal experience, and my to-date accumulated learning.

As to your question about NOT making a starter, the way that I understand it, when you do not pitch a proper amount of yeast, you stress the yeast, which can cause any number of side effects, from improper attenuation to off flavors, etc.

As to pitching the whole starter into your wort, the main reason that I have seen argued AGAINST doing that is oxidation. With a starter, you are TRYING to get oxygen into that "beer" as it ferments. This produces healthier yeast, but oxidizes the "beer" in your starter. If you are trying to enter contests with your beers, I would advise against pitching the entire starter. I, on the other hand, am not entering contests, and my beers are getting consumed fairly young, so I don't have long term storage issues, so I go ahead and pitch the whole thing. So far this has not given me a bit of trouble. I like my beers. Others like my beers, so why should I throw away 2 liters of beer that I just made? Once pitched into the main batch, it is now 1 part starter to 10 parts beer, so even if there is a small amount of oxidation, it just does not appear to be an issue for the people drinking my beers.

Again though, if you are looking for that "medal winning" quality, I would not do that. Some day I will probably enter a local contest, just to get an honest critique from someone who can tell me something other than "damn, that is good beer", but for now, it's all good.

one of the largest reasons for me to decant my starters (when I make em...big dry yeast fan) is so that I do not add any flavor to my formulated recipe, just yeast. Now on the flip side, I also save wort from my previous mash so if I have the correct wort on hand to make a starter with, then I do not worry about decanting.

Just like rabidgerbil said, improper pitching rates will cause an increase in yeast stress (sometimes wanted), can cause those stalled fermentations, and therefore off flavors.

But, like you said, you're happy with the beer you make, so why not.

P.S.: Also, if you make starters, then you can save a portion of the yeast slurry for your yeast bank! Saving $$$, homey!!

I usually just swirl and pour my startes in but they are usually only a couple cups of liquid and made the night before. More of a yeast jump start then huge starter. However, I always get attactive fermentation in 5 hours the longest I have ever had to wait was 10 hours.

Back