I have ~$100 to spend on a new brew kettle... suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KidMoxie

Reaction score
I currently have a 16 quart stainless steel brew kettle, but I'm looking to upgrade to something that will support a full boil for 5 gallon batches. Stainless steel seems to be best, but should I look for something w/ built in thermometer & ball valve? Would that be too expensive? Any particular brands that are great?

Also, I'm looking to get into AG brewing in the near future, so something that would work well for that would be great too.

I currently have a 16 quart stainless steel brew kettle, but I'm looking to upgrade to something that will support a full boil for 5 gallon batches. Stainless steel seems to be best, but should I look for something w/ built in thermometer & ball valve? Would that be too expensive? Any particular brands that are great?

Also, I'm looking to get into AG brewing in the near future, so something that would work well for that would be great too.

If i were buying again id purchase onehoppyguys kettle with the soldered couplers. All of the benefits of morebeers welded couplers but less costly. I do think the dimensions of the blichmann are perfect but the price is a bit costly.

try to find a 15.5 gallon keg - can be had for under 40 bucks - spend the rest on a valve/pickup tube/false bottom. This is the option i suggest if you are the DIY type.

There's a vendor on here called SpikeBrewing, he has some very reasonably priced kettles you should look at.

10 Gallon Kettles, spikebrewing

You know, somewhere down the line I was looking at those, but there weren't any reviews and I wasn't sure if it was legit or not. Do you know of anyone who has had a good experience with spikebrewing?

KidMoxie said:
You know, somewhere down the line I was looking at those, but there weren't any reviews and I wasn't sure if it was legit or not. Do you know of anyone who has had a good experience with spikebrewing?

He's new to the forum, but he seems to stand by his product and I haven't seen a vendor on here yet who hasn't done a HBT member right.

Check out the Bayou Classic 1144. It is an 11 gallon stainless kettle and comes with a steamer/fryer basket that will work great if you decide to try brew-in-a-bag prior to jumping straight into All-Grain. I bought mine just a week ago from Buy.com for $98 with free shipping. Alternatively, the 1044 comes without a basket. Mine doesn't have a spigot/ball valve yet, but it will soon. I'm just pumped to be able to do full 5 gallon boils now.

$114 on amazon right now for the 1144 model.

try to find a 15.5 gallon keg - can be had for under 40 bucks - spend the rest on a valve/pickup tube/false bottom. This is the option i suggest if you are the DIY type.
Unless you buy a new keg for ~$130 or buy a damaged keg from a brewery, it's theft. Just because you paid a deposit or bought one from a scrap yard doesn't mean it's a legally purchased keg.

That being said, Williams Brewing (.com) has kettles with a ball valve for $100.

I'll let someone else chime in with a review but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Unless you buy a new keg for ~$130 or buy a damaged keg from a brewery, it's theft. Just because you paid a deposit or bought one from a scrap yard doesn't mean it's a legally purchased keg.

That being said, Williams Brewing (.com) has kettles with a ball valve for $100.

Where are you guys located? I love German wheats and would love to try some of yours :rockin:

:off:

Where are you guys located? I love German wheats and would love to try some of yours :rockin:
The nano is located in Michigan and I'm looking at a few cities in the Fox Valley area for the microbrewery production brewery. Wisconsin is more beer friendly than Michigan and the beer tax is much lower. Might be forming a partnership with a high school classmate of mine who is a German trained chef. Business plan would be something like Olive Garden but German food and German beer only.

:off:

Okay, after a bit more digging I came up w/ these threads discussing Spike Brewing:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/brew-pot-285433/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/stainless-kettle-too-good-true-287381/

Sounds pretty legit, I'll do a bit more research and maybe I'll make an order soon. What's the usual turnaround time? The accessories (ball valve/thermometer) aren't included, correct?

Turn around time is about a week to your doorstep after I receive payment. I have ball valves available and working on finding a vendor for thermometers. There are plenty of other vendors on here that offer 1/2" NPT thermometers in the mean time.

The nano is located in Michigan and I'm looking at a few cities in the Fox Valley area for the microbrewery production brewery. Wisconsin is more beer friendly than Michigan and the beer tax is much lower. Might be forming a partnership with a high school classmate of mine who is a German trained chef. Business plan would be something like Olive Garden but German food and German beer only.

Fox Valley is still quite a hike. Have any retailers stocking your beer near the Milwaukee area?

Turn around time is about a week to your doorstep after I receive payment. I have ball valves available and working on finding a vendor for thermometers. There are plenty of other vendors on here that offer 1/2" NPT thermometers in the mean time.

Do you have any recommendations for thermometers, or would just about any 1/2" NPT thermometer work okay.

Do you have any recommendations for thermometers, or would just about any 1/2" NPT thermometer work okay.

I've personally bought one from eBay before and haven't had a problem. Like everything else though they are more than likely made in China. With that said they advertise a +/- 1% tolerance (if I remember correctly) but who knows if that is accurate or not.

So, I've been shopping like a fool for weeks now. This kettle issue gets complex. As far as value goes, looks like I can get a 44qt bayou classic for $83 with free shipping. There's also an SP-10 for $45 and an immersion chiller (25') with vinyl tubing for about another $45. Less than $175 for a whole setup. Anyone have any experience? I'm still considering spike's kettle with the valve, but the shipping is brutal and not sure if I really need the valve with 5 gallon batches.

So, I've been shopping like a fool for weeks now. This kettle issue gets complex. As far as value goes, looks like I can get a 44qt bayou classic for $83 with free shipping. There's also an SP-10 for $45 and an immersion chiller (25') with vinyl tubing for about another $45. Less than $175 for a whole setup. Anyone have any experience? I'm still considering spike's kettle with the valve, but the shipping is brutal and not sure if I really need the valve with 5 gallon batches.

I'm obviously going to be biased BUT 8 gallons of water is ~65lbs. Just saying :mug:

Did you see the 9 gallon pot with two 1/2" welded couplings for $79 at homebrewing.org? Add thermometer and it's still under $100. I bought it, not bad. Flimsy lid which they admit up front, and some rough edges on the inside of the pot around one weld. I'm guessing you are trying to get to 10 gallon batches in an 11 gallon kettle? You could get that Bayou classic you mentioned and get weldless fittings from bargainfittings.com. That place rocks. However I did this with a bayou classic, they are kind of thin-walled to add things like valves - the wall flexes a bit in use.

Ben, I know you're biased, but I understand why! I'm still on the fence. I will only do 5 gallon batches.

Gear, I want to be able to boil the full 5 gallon batch and do BIAB, so I think 10 gallons is the right size for me. I'm just on the fence about having a valve or not.

Brewski, thanks for the recommendation. I don't need the two welds though. I know I could find a use. The only bad thing about that kettle is I'd need to buy a ball valve still which from them is $27. Once you do that, spikebrewing is then cheaper.

In the end, the difference in price is all tiny for similar pots. I'm just very cheap and always try to find a way to reduce bundled costs to reduce my sticker shock. I'm looking to get a kettle, IC and burner all at the same time. I don't think I'd benefit from the extras in a blichmann and don't see why the heavy duty pots are better than non except for maybe holding a mash temp. (i.e. bad for heat conduction)

There's a good deal at williamsbrewing for a 40qt with weldless valve for $99 plus 9.99 shipping. Not a bad deal either if weldless is acceptable.

Back