I hate bottling...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAddikt

Expert Beer Quaffer
Reaction score
I've been postponing bottling my latest batch because I HATE BOTTLING!!! Scrubbing the bottles with a brush, sanitizing them, disassembling and cleaning all bottling equipment and sanitizing, racking to bottling bucket, filling, capping...

Sorry...i had to rant. And don't even say it. Just don't. I know I should switch to kegging. :smack:

Soak your bottles overnight in a strong-ish PBW or Oxyclean solution. Even to remove labels, seldom any scrubbing required. At that point, if the label is a pain or something in the bottle won't come clean, I just pitch it. Then air dry the bottles, and ready for simple sanitizing come brewday. Do a few cases at a time, easy as pie.

Fwiw, after pouring out a bottled beer, I just rinse with water and dry upside down. Then before bottling again I just give it a couple pumps with the star San injector, and I'm good to go. No long pbw soaks or anything. I've used the same bottles over at least ten times and never had a problem. That's just my way, it seems to save me a lot of time. I keg also, but I still enjoy a good ol bottle too! You just have to find a way that works for you

Fwiw, after pouring out a bottled beer, I just rinse with water and dry upside down. Then before bottling again I just give it a couple pumps with the star San injector, and I'm good to go. No long pbw soaks or anything. I've used the same bottles over at least ten times and never had a problem. That's just my way, it seems to save me a lot of time. I keg also, but I still enjoy a good ol bottle too! You just have to find a way that works for you

Depends on what you're doing. I rebottle sour/Brett beers in the same bottles, so a soak makes me more confident there's no wild stuff remaining.

Soak your bottles overnight in a strong-ish PBW or Oxyclean solution. Even to remove labels, seldom any scrubbing required. At that point, if the label is a pain or something in the bottle won't come clean, I just pitch it. Then air dry the bottles, and ready for simple sanitizing come brewday. Do a few cases at a time, easy as pie.

I'm gonna give it a shot...right now. I'll have to use my bottling bucket and another 6 gallon bucket (and maybe even my kettle) to soak all the bottles I need, but it sounds a lot better than scrubbing 20 bombers and fourteen 12oz bottles.

Forgot to note, bottles need to be rinsed after soaking. I typically soak in a bin of solution and rinse in the bathtub. Still easy.

If you use a 18gallon bin it will fit 2+ cases of bottles to soak overnight for your batch.

Also I would recommend recruiting some help, when people would ask me if they can come over to check out a brew day I would get them to help me bottle a batch so they "could see the whole process".

I now keg but it was an expensive "upgrade" bottling is so much cheaper but way more time consuming, I found a bottle tree, vinator and a good process that works for you will help make bottling easier.

I have my bottling system working pretty well now.

After I drink one, give it a rinse and stick it in a bucked of sodium percarbonate in the garage (which gets changed every week). Then whenever I'm walking past the bucket I grab a bottle and give it a scrub with the bottle brush then rinse, then store upside down in a plastic crate. When it's dry I store it in a box until bottling day.

This process breaks it up into small pieces, so it never feels like I'm cleaning a mountain of bottles in one hit. On bottling day it's just a matter of sanitising, but I have always felt cleaning was the hard part.

As suspected I had to use two 6 gallon buckets and a kettle. But it still beats scrubbing.

image.jpg

After I drink one, give it a rinse and stick it in a bucked of sodium percarbonate in the garage (which gets changed every week). Then whenever I'm walking past the bucket I grab a bottle and give it a scrub with the bottle brush then rinse, then store upside down in a plastic crate. When it's dry I store it in a box until bottling day.

I've been talking about doing something like this for a while. Hopefully I've finally learned my lesson and will be proactive about cleaning bottles...Or pony up and move on to kegging. ;)

For me its been a transition from one step to the next. I started out strictly bottling as most of us have, then finally got one of those 1.5 gallon kegs + regulator + "borrowed" Co2 from work. Then I had a leak which emptied that tank and needed to refill it. Took it to have it refilled and....it was expired so they would'nt fill. So, I bought a filled tank from them, but still need to get the work tank tested and filled. Shortly after that the deal I had been waiting for came along and I purchased two 5 gallon kegs. Originally, i wanted 3 gallon kegs so i could always bottle some but ended up with the full 5 gallon ones. Currently I still bottle my really big beers and use the 5 gallon kegs for smaller beers and fill growlers from them for friends.

Now just waiting on that bottle filler deal to come around.

As far as bottle care goes I always give them a quick rinse in the sink after emptying and run them through the dishwasher and then store in a tote. On bottling day I just give them a quick shot of star san and I'm good to go.

I mostly keg but bottle the ones that I know we won't drink fast. I just take a deep breath and do it.

But I do soak before hand and then sanitize right before.

I think bottling effectively is all about having a system and eliminating wasted motion as much as possible.

Folks above have nailed how to clean bottles by soaking. I actually wash my bottles in the diswasher. The top rack in the dishwasher allows the bottles to be inverted so the spray enters them. It works--it's the only way I clean my bottles. There might be concern over having anti-spotting compound left in the bottles which would ruin the head, but since I rinse in star-san before bottling, that's never been a problem. Pic below.

I store the now-clean bottles upside down in the Fast Rack system.

When it is time to bottle, I use a vinator to inject star-san up into the bottle. The unit can be made to stand alone (which is how I use it) by removing the connector that lets it be set on a bottle tree. You fill it maybe halfway with Star-San, put your bottle caps in the reservoir, and go. Push down on the inverted bottle on top of the vinator and squirt Star-San up inside the bottle.

Now, to me, this is where you can gain time. I'll rinse a bottle on the vinator, remove it, swish the mouth of the bottle in the reservoir to ensure it's all sanitized, and remove it. I'll take another bottle, swish its mouth in the reservoir, put on top and rinse. That second bottle will stay there, draining, while I fill the first. Then each successive bottle is the same: remove drained bottle from vinator, grab next bottle, swish mouth, squirt twice, let it sit on vinator while I fill the first one.

After I fill a bottle I grab a cap from the reservoir and put it on the bottle. After about a half dozen bottles, I'll cap 'em. I use a super agata bench capper, but it doesn't much matter what you use.

I'm not going to tell you to get into kegging, as you requested :), but if you could find someone who had a keg system you could use for your beer, you'd find it's even easier. I have a growler filler I can also use to fill bottles; I use that if I'm taking beer to a party or poker game. I'll use my homemade counterflow filler if I'm bottling for longer storage.

I know that some of what I list above costs money....well, all of it does, and not everybody has available disposable income to just buy whatever. If you have young kids at home, or college loans to pay, or....whatever...I get it. I was there too, but if you can afford $40 for a fastrack system, $40 for a good capper, $20 for a vinator, you're there. If you could only buy one thing, buy the vinator. It was a pain in the tush to pull bottles from a vat of star san, wait for them to drain....when the vinator is 2 seconds to squirt a bottle twice, and it waits there draining while you fill the previous one.

Good luck, and get that beer in those bottles!

EDITED TO ADD: Cleaning bottles in the dishwasher is always done with bottles I've triple-rinsed after emptying. I don't know how well that works with bottles with crud in the bottom--but then, I don't let crud sit in bottles and dry out.

dishwasherbottle.jpg

I've been postponing bottling my latest batch because I HATE BOTTLING!!! Scrubbing the bottles with a brush, sanitizing them, disassembling and cleaning all bottling equipment and sanitizing, racking to bottling bucket, filling, capping...

Sorry...i had to rant. And don't even say it. Just don't. I know I should switch to kegging. :smack:

The idea of bottling homebrew is really just a ploy to sell more kegging equipment. :mug: How many of us have gone from only bottling, then to only kegging never bottling and end up bottling from our kegs using some type of 'beer gun' process?

What's your point? :)

He's saying bottling sucks so you get kegs. But you still want bottles so you buy a beer gun. So you have spent triple what you thought just to get beer in bottles.

My next big purchase might be a beer gun or similar filler. I only occasionally bottle from the keg for a party or fill a growler, but it's always last minute and makes a mess.

Btw if you run them in the dishwasher they are sanitized. We stopped using the spot-free rinse stuff because it ... left spots.

Run then the night before. Bottling bucket goes on the counter above the dishwasher, then you fill over the open door. Mess goes in the dishwasher.

What's your point? :)

He's saying bottling sucks so you get kegs. But you still want bottles so you buy a beer gun. So you have spent triple what you thought just to get beer in bottles.

My next big purchase might be a beer gun or similar filler. I only occasionally bottle from the keg for a party or fill a growler, but it's always last minute and makes a mess.

Look up the word "facetious" in google. And note the smiley I appended to my comment.

:) :) :)

As suspected I had to use two 6 gallon buckets and a kettle. But it still beats scrubbing.
Another way (if SWMBO allows it,) is to use the bathtub. Lots of hot water, plenty of room to hold a ton of bottles, then drain the Oxyclean/PWB and refill to rinse. Other than moving bottles, no heavy lifting! If you have a bottle tree, you can even dry them there. Easy-peasy. Ed.
:mug:

The OP needs to turn this "weakness" into a strength like your'e supposed to with dumb ass job interview advice.

You know that advice I mean: when asked to name a weakness you say things like "I just love working too much!" or "I'm a perfectionist."

So turn this bottling hate into..."I just love conditioning my beer."

The OP needs to turn this "weakness" into a strength like your supposed to with dumb ass job interview advice.

You know that advice I mean: when asked to name a weakness you say things like "I just love working too much!" or "I'm a perfectionist."

So turn this bottling hate into..."I just love conditioning my beer."

In this one, the Zen is strong!

If you clean your bottles as you drink them, bottling is not a chore at all.

I do it when I brew. Rack to the bottling bucket while my strike water is heating. Start the mash and bottle during that time. All done before the mash is done. Easy.

I also use to hate bottling, but now it's not too bad. Can have a 5 gal batch done and cleaned up in 2 hours. The key, like others have said is to clean the bottles as you empty them. One of the best bottling items I bought was a Fast Rack, so they can drain after cleaning. Then bottling day just involves sanitizing everything and going thru the motions. The clean up is what I really despise, whether it's bottling day or brew day, I don't look forward to cleaning fermenters and kettles.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned using the 1 liter flip top bottles. They're great, no capping to do and at 33.8 ounces each, you need way less bottles.

I actually enjoy bottling. That said, I start with rinsing a bottle 3X in hot water right after pouring, so cleaning/scrubbing is a non-issue at bottling time. I store them upside down in a Fast Rack till then. At bottling, give them a quick rinse (in case a spider, etc. tried to make a home), back on the Fast Rack and rotate them 4 at a time through a basin of Star San. All other equipment was cleaned right after last use, so I quick rinse and sanitize auto siphon and hose, bucket/lid/spigot, wand, crowns/capper. Then bottle.

Getting set to bottle my saison as I mash/boil my next brew today.

Viva la beer!

Btw if you run them in the dishwasher they are sanitized.

The dishwasher only sanitizes if you run it in "sanitize" mode. Regular household hot water is only around 120F. You need ~160F to sanitize. And actually, that's what I do.

I do the same triple rinse and Fastrack as others have mentioned. Then on bottling day, I put the bottles downward in the dishwasher and run it on sanitize mode. After that I flll my kitchen sink with sanitizer and submerge 2 dozen. When I take them out to drain they go right back in the dishwasher rack which is now my bottle holder. Fill a dozen and cap them. Then the next dozen. The whole process including clean up is under 2 hours.

As for kegging, I would love to keg some but I have no room for a kegerator and no desire the lighten my wallet that much.

I've never scrubbed my bottles before. I find that, as long as you thoroughly wash them out after you drink from them, you won't need to wash them when you fill them. You'll just need to sanitize them by filling them with a StarSan-water solution. That both "cleans" and "sanitizes" them (again, assuming you've washed them out after drinking from them so there's no nasty dried-out beer residue in the bottles).

I'm planning on getting into kegging within the next few months too. Getting myself a kegerator and 2-3 kegs. But I don't consider it "switching to kegging" because I still plan to bottle for beers that are meant to be aged or that do really well with aging (for example, a Flemish brown ale or a Russian Imperial Stout). I plan to keg for beers that are best fresh such as IPAs, pale ales, milk stouts, and maybe something like a kettle-soured Berliner Weisse or a Gose.

I'll definitely prefer the ease of just filling one keg instead of 24-27 bottles (I don't bottle 12 ounce bottles mainly because I don't want to fill 48-56 bottles all at once, so I've always stuck exclusively to 22 ounce bottles).

I can see how bottling would be hell if I had to scrub every bottle, but I don't even own a bottle brush. With a few thousand bottles filled and not a single one infected, by now I'm convinced that scrubbing bottles with a brush is wasted energy.

If you're too lazy to rinse bottles immediately after pouring, then you're kind of asking for trouble. If you do this simple step, then on bottling day you simply need to dunk 4-6 bottles at a time into a bucket of starsan, let soak for a minute, empty, and fill. Dunk some more bottles and let them soak while you cap the bottles you just filled. Repeat.

EDIT: another thing I did was drill a 2nd 1-inch hole into my bottling bucket and install a second spigot. Now I fill 2 bottles at a time. Goes by pretty quick.

Reminds me I was going to buy a new bottling bucket. Maybe I'll just put that $20 towards a new keg. But then that will require another tap and hoses. Unless I naturally carb one and then age it in the back of the fridge. Hmm...

I keg but started out bottling (with bottling bucket etc) and still bottle occasional smaller batches.
What I did to make things easier when bottling now:

1. Installed a spigot on my primary (just above trub level)
2. Attached bottling wand to the spigot
3. Use carb tabs for carbonation (rather than boiling priming sugar)
4. Rinse each bottle in hot water after pouring

Just bottled my latest brew, and yes it's my least favorite part of brewing. But still important. Rinsing bottles after drinking is IMO the key to minimizing the hassle of bottle prepping. Until I get a bigger house or convince SWMBO we need a 3 keg keezer outside, I'll be bottling. I do like the convinence of taking a couple of bottles with me when I travel. So it's not all bad.

I haven't "washed" a bottle in years. Washing was important early on when I was getting empties from people but I don't do that anymore. (Note: I don't do sours)

After I pour the beer (homebrew or store bought) I rinse the bottle clean with hot tap water and stick it on my bottle tree to drain. I store the bottles in Fast Racks. On bottling day I sanitize the bottles with star san using a bottle sulphiter and stick them on the tree to drain. That takes maybe 10 minutes if I'm not interrupted.

Bottling is, IMO, the worst part of home brewing but doesn't have to be as hard as some people make it.

Last edited:
I certainly don't care for bottling either, and once or twice, I've put off bottling and left my beer in the fermenter an extra week or two because of it.

Adding to what others have said, rinse your bottles right after pouring, and let them dry upside down. But on top of that, I've become fond of baking my bottles in the oven ahead of time, and then store them for bottling day. Once I get a decent sized batch of bottles, I rinse them (or de-label if need be) and then put some foil over the opening, then bake @ 340-350 for 2 hours. (You can also do lower temps over longer time periods)

Perhaps I'm overly cautious, but I take the extra time to let them slowly come up to temp to avoid damaging them. I typically do it on a weekend when I'm already doing stuff around the house anyway. I can get maybe about 30 or so bottles at a time. Then I'll leave the door open a bit, and within about two hours, they're cool enough to take out. Then I just box them up and they're waiting for when it's time to bottle! As long as the foil stays on top, they'll remain sterilized.

I find that spending that extra time makes bottling less of a chore.

Back