I got some left over wort, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBeagleBrew

Reaction score
So I got about 2L of some left over 1.070 unboiled wort. I've never made a starter, but I got a Wee Heavy I've been meaning to brew just been putting it off, now that I think I have enough wort for a decent starter it seems like it's time. Just wondering how I would go about converting this wort to a starter. Do I boil it for an hour, dilute it down to 1.040, than divy it up into some one litre containers until it's time to use?

No need to boil it for an hour. Fifteen minutes will do. You'll want to freeze it afterwards in something sanitized.

If you have access to a pressure canner don't even bother with the boil. Just dilute, put into quart jars, and process 15 minutes at 15 psi (adjust for altitude as needed). I pressure can starters made from DME and I love them.

I'd save it until needed, then boil. That way you don't need to sanitize anything until after the boil...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back