I got a little beer in my coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rednekhippiemotrcyclfreak

Reaction score
Kegged a batch of coffee stout (BYO 250 Clones Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout) four days ago. I drew a small amount today and tossed it to get rid of the intial sediment. Then I drew a half glass to see how it was going. If this thing doesn't mellow out, I'll be calling it Espresso Stout. The coffee is dominant. Does this moderate or intensify with age? It is otherwise good, although certainly not a clone.

Can't speak from personal experience, but I believe the coffee flavor will mellow with time.

I did a chocolate coffee stout that has been overpowered by the coffee for 2 months in the bottle now. Let's hope yours mellows better!

How much coffee did you use and how did you prepare it? I am about to add coffee to my oatmeal stout and want to avoid this myself.

I used 4 ounces of fresh ground Starbucks House Blend infused in 2 cups of warm water for 20 minutes (I know I should've cold brewed). I would probably cut that in half next time.

I put a small handfull of espresso beans in my Choc Stout. In the fermenter for a month and then two weeks in the bottle and it was very strong. Now four weeks in the bottle and it is already getting better,
Good luck

I used 2 ounces cold brewed for about 12 hours in my java porter. It was home-roasted the day before I used it, so it was pretty potent. I'd say it was a good amount, though I like coffee flavor quite a bit, so I could have seen leaving it in longer or using another .5-1 ounces.

EDIT: I coarsely crushed the beans.

I really wonder about this. I have heard so many different opinions. I think I'm going to introduce it at bottling and keep adding it until it's where I want it.

I have read a lot about this though and have heard the coffee flavor does mellow in time. Hope everything works out for you. Good luck.

I still have some from back in May. It does mellow out after the first month. It is still noticeable now, but not a coffee kick to the face like when I first had it.

I only have four Cornies in my stable, so I probably can't see aging it for 6 months. I'll just choke it down or call it a breakfast stout and not OD on it next time.

I had Wolavers alta gracia coffee porter that was badly overpowered by coffee. I choked down 4 becayse I had no otnet beer on hand. The final 2 sat for 6 weeks, and the coffee mellowed a whole lot. It was a decent beer after a short aging period.

I just added 2/3 of a cup of cold brewed Ka`u coffee (from the Big Island) the other day to about 1 1/2 gallons before bottling. Coffee was there pretty strong. Lets see what happens after a month in the bottles.

Back