I got a deal on grains. Now i need a recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonaken

Reaction score
Unfortunately the homebrew shop near my work closed down. Fortunately for me he was selling everything dirt cheap! I got several of his actual grain bins with tons of grains in them for 15 bucks a pop. The only thing I need is recipes. Here is my list:
DME = +/- 20lbs
Crystal Malt 20L = +/- 50
Crystal Malt 150L = +/- 30
Boriander Munich = +/- 40
Caracrystal Wheat Malt 45L = +\- 40
Roasted Barley 500-600L = +/- 70
Dark Chocolate Malt 420L = +/- 40
3 bags of Belgium Dark Crystal Sugar
3 bags of Belgium Cleat Crystal Sugar

Oh and now I need to get an actual grain mill.

I'm pretty damn jealous over here, sad that a brew shop closed, makes one thankful that whenever I'm in my LHBS usually 4 or 5 other people come in to purchase stuff while I'm milling grains.

Not sure if you meant Bonlander munich, but that could be the beginnings of a munich SMaSH potentially, though I don't know how intense bonlander munich can be so that may not be a good idea.

The DME could make a good start for a base on a bunch of beers, but otherwise looks like you may need more extract or other base malts. Seriously if you have 70lbs of roasted barley you've got enough for a ton of stouts.

Wow, you got enough specialty grains and sugars, that's for sure.
I would save all the DME for starters.
Then the first thing I would do is SMaSH the Munich.
Then it's straight to the stouts. Might have to consider a Nitro faucet if you don't have one.
Nice score!

Thanks guys,
I just SMaSH'd the Bonlander Munich with about 12 lbs and 2 oz of Saaz. I also got creative and added 1 lb of clear blegium crystal sugar just to up the gravity and also added a packet of sweet orange peel I had sittin around.

I plan to blast through the DME with a bunch of imperial stouts and the dark grains i got.

Ive got a freekin ton of Roasted barley. Any recipes out there that could use more than half a pound?

So what classification of beer would this be??? SMaSH Orange Munich is what I am calling it.

Im liking the Munich and Caracrystal Wheat to make a very interesting dark hefe. Awesome deal too, and always sad to hear of a local business shutting down. I hope the owner is getting some of your beer!!

Latest posts

Back