I finally brewed and some things I learned..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamespz03

Reaction score
After 3+ years of the 1 gallon brew kit sitting in the garage, I finally broke it open and brewed 3 times. I hope you don't mind me sharing my experiences.

First up was the Everyday IPA but I tossed the ingredients since it was so old. Instead, I went to the local Home Brew Store and they helped me mill a custom ~6% Oatmeal Stout. I BIAB and it came out okay but tasted more like a Newcastle Brown Ale. I think I technically did everything right. Bottled on 11/18/17.

Next up was the Black IPA and I BIAB on 12/24/17.. The wort smelled amazing and my house smelled like a brewery and I was super excited to taste it. However, as the wort was cooling (it got down to 75F), the cheap glass kit thermometer broke and I had to toss the whole lot. I'm still not sure if I cried....

My current brew is the Everyday IPA which I BIAB on 1/1/18. So far this is setting up nicely.

Things I learned:
There had to be a better way to bottle than using gravity and sanitizer fluid and pinching the tube. So I bought an auto-siphon and I can't wait to try it out. I'm buying a spring loaded bottle filler and hope that works out well too.

I had to buy a new thermometer so I got a nice metal one that clips to the side of the pot. It's nice not having to hold the thing for 2 hours..

I now tie the BIAB to a wooden spoon and hang that over the pot. It seems to work better for me since I'm only using a 10 qt pot.

I'm buying a bucket to sanitize everything as that will make it easier than using a large bowl.

It takes a long time to cool down the wort so I'm focusing on shortening that process by being better prepared with more ice and a larger container.

I bought sugar pills and hope those work out better than the honey method in the kit instructions.

I should have come back here prior to my first brew and read up. I simply brewed without research and followed the kit instructions.

Most importantly, I'm obsessed with sanitation and temps and need to calm the heck down. Therefore, I've decided to drink a beer or two prior/during so I can chill out. Brewing should be fun and I should not be stressed out and cranky.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to my next brew, which is going to be the Black IPA again.

James

Last edited:
Sounds like you're having a good time learning the process and drinking some good brews. Just a suggestion with the auto siphon and the spring loaded bottle filler. Make sure you depress the bottle filler in a bottle while someone else starts the auto siphon. Otherwise that air will have no where to go and the back pressure will push air out the wrong end of the siphon and through your beer (if that makes sense). As for cooling, look into a wort chiller. Helps speed the process a bit more.

I transfer to a bottling bucket which has been prepared with a sugar water solution that has been boiled and cooled. Works fairly well. I haven't used the sugar drops since I used the Mr Beer kit. I can only imagine they are a bit more expensive than the equivalent amount of granulated sugar.

Sounds like you're having a good time learning the process and drinking some good brews. Just a suggestion with the auto siphon and the spring loaded bottle filler. Make sure you depress the bottle filler in a bottle while someone else starts the auto siphon. Otherwise that air will have no where to go and the back pressure will push air out the wrong end of the siphon and through your beer (if that makes sense). As for cooling, look into a wort chiller. Helps speed the process a bit more.

Thank you for the tip!!! It makes perfect sense.

I transfer to a bottling bucket which has been prepared with a sugar water solution that has been boiled and cooled. Works fairly well. I haven't used the sugar drops since I used the Mr Beer kit. I can only imagine they are a bit more expensive than the equivalent amount of granulated sugar.

Thank you for the tip. I'm willing to spend a little extra in order to save time and be consistent until I learn some more. The fewer variables the better for me :)

I started with the same kit. I second the ideas about the wort chiller and bottling bucket. Just make sure the chiller coils fit since many of the chillers on the market are sized for larger pots. For the bottling bucket I recommend a 5 quart bucket (I got mine from Lowes in the paint section). Then you just need a bottling spigot from your LHBS, drill a hole in the bucket and you are good to go.

I also started with a 1 gallon kit and i did exactly 1 batch and got a bottling bucket with bottle filler. As was mentioned above I weigh out the proper amount of table sugar amd mix with boiled water in the bottling bucket for the desired carbonation level.

Back