I Either can't read an OG or something is horribly wrong...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natelindner

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've brewed 3 all grain batches now. Each and every time I try to check the OG before adding the yeast and every time I get a reading no where near where it should be. Today for instance I tried brewing an IPA with expected OG of 1.067 and I got a reading around 1.03. Either I am doing something wrong with the hydrometer or I am getting like 20% efficiency on my mashes. Which would seem strange to me because my beer tastes fine. I don't have a hydrometer glass so I just fill up the tube the hydrometer came in. Is there something wrong with this? Are hydrometer readings different if the wort being tested is hot? I just don't see how my IPA could possibly have an OG of 1.03...

Hydrometers are calibrated at a set temperature which is usually 60 or 68 degrees. If your liquid being tested is not at that temperature you will need a correction table to adjust for the temperature. You can also test your hydrometer in water which should read 1.000. Take a look here.

Are you brewing an extract brew? I you're doing extracts and not doing a full batch boil, you will need to make sure the water you add to your fermenter incorporates into the wort before taking a gravity rreading. Basically pick up your fermenter and shake the snot out of it to mix the 2 before taking a gravity reading. :)

Gary

I had an issue with using the tube the hydrometer came in. The tube was so narrow that the hydrometer always clung to the side of the tube. Don't think that would have cut the reading in half though.

If you have an open bucket fermenter, you can always just put a sanitized hydrometer directly in there. You could also put the hydrometer directly in the brew kettle, of course after the wort is cooled.

As mentioned above, calibrating is also a good idea. The paper inside the hydrometer can move.

The sample has to be around 70F some are calibrated at 60F other measurements are not accurate, as Derek said

Also, the paper in a lot of hydrometers is held in place by wax. If you are putting it in hot wort, you might have melted that wax and let the paper slide around.

Back