I Dream of Jenny - Cream ale (Genessee Cream Ale clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m with you, 3 packets of yeast is a bit much. White labs has a cream ale yeast if you’re inclined, but I think 05 will be okay.
As far as gypsum, I don’t recall Genny being bitter, if you still feel the need, cut it back.

Last edited:
I might go with a pilsner malt for some or all of base. If I recall, Genny cream is pretty light in color and body, though it has been a while since I bought a 30 pack.

US-05 should be fine, I reccomend keeping fermentation temp in mid 60sF for best results. I use well water, so have no good advice on how you should treat yours, except go for a water profile fitting for a light ale or lager.

Please let us know how it goes. I'd love to find a true Genny Cream clone. Brings back memories spending time on Lake George. Genny's and Freihofer's Chocolate Chip Cookies.

~HopSing.

Good luck. Let us know. I grew up in Rochester so reminds me of home. And you can't get it Texas.

Fermented at 65 F for one week with US 05. Crashed to 40 for 1 week and just kegged today with some gelatin. Flavor is great as of now!!

Attachments

• 4FFAC9D9-D8A7-44B3-ABA9-3D0F7442E2CD.jpeg
    4FFAC9D9-D8A7-44B3-ABA9-3D0F7442E2CD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 61
Hey @brewpharm Hill how did this recipe turn out? Would you say it was close to Genny Cream?
I do not know about the OP on this old thread - hopefully they will chime in. But, I have brewed the recipe in the OP 3 times with minor changes. The first two times, I followed the recipe using 1056, but at 62-63 degrees. AND I only got 1.049-1.050 on each of my batches as opposed to the 1.055 listed. That gave me 5.24% in comparison to Genny's listed 5.2 - close enough. Third time I did this with 34/70 as a lager at 55 degrees. No longer a cream ALE but really dang tasty and actually my personal favorite of the three. Is it an exact clone? NO, but it is really close and really nice cream ale (Or lager if you go that way) Give it a bit of time to clear and mature post ferment and it is nice

Hey @brewpharm Hill how did this recipe turn out? Would you say it was close to Genny Cream?

Second what @gunhaus said. I used US-05 at 60F for fermentation and let it lager for about 4 weeks at 38F. Great, clean, drinkable cream ale but not an exact clone in the flavor department yet not that far off either. The color was fantastic.

Genny is very hush about what yeast they use in their cream ale and for all we know it could be a blend.

Some have really liked the cream ale yeast blend strains from White Labs and Wyeast for the style. I'll probably be brewing this beer again soon and will switch up the yeast to the cream ale to see how it goes.

Second what @gunhaus said. I used US-05 at 60F for fermentation and let it lager for about 4 weeks at 38F. Great, clean, drinkable cream ale but not an exact clone in the flavor department yet not that far off either. The color was fantastic.

Genny is very hush about what yeast they use in their cream ale and for all we know it could be a blend.

Some have really liked the cream ale yeast blend strains from White Labs and Wyeast for the style. I'll probably be brewing this beer again soon and will switch up the yeast to the cream ale to see how it goes.
Excellent, thanks. Please update with your thoughts with the cream ale yeast if you try it. Genny Cream, or as we called it in my college days, Genny Screamers, was my beer of choice back then, in the 70s. I still try to drink a couple whenever I’m back east, and I must say I still enjoy it. I’d like to brew something close to it some day.

I might go with a pilsner malt for some or all of base. If I recall, Genny cream is pretty light in color and body, though it has been a while since I bought a 30 pack.

US-05 should be fine, I reccomend keeping fermentation temp in mid 60sF for best results. I use well water, so have no good advice on how you should treat yours, except go for a water profile fitting for a light ale or lager.

Didn't know the Cream Ale was still brewed. Light DME for sure & i just saw cream ale yeast so that's what i'd use also. Been years since I tasted Cream Ale but I don't remember any "hoppiness" at all. Again...its been 10+ years for a Genny Cream. Good luck!

I'll have to pick some up. I remember it being tasty and thanks. Forgive me Beer Gods.

The Genny was a nice break from the ordinary. Another Cream was "Little Kings." I might have to make some cream ale. Looks simple enough. Certain hops & yeast is all it takes.

The Genny was a nice break from the ordinary. Another Cream was "Little Kings." I might have to make some cream ale. Looks simple enough. Certain hops & yeast is all it takes.

Beware the rabbit hole! I have toiled down the dark corridors and byzantine byways that are "Clone Genesee Cream Ale" and I have yet to achieve the simplicity of taste that is GCA. I have, of course, sloshed my way through several attempts that were very nice beers, but never came out as a "match".

I finally decided I really like a Kolsch recipe, and can simply buy a 30 pack of Genny for $18, and I'm happy.

VERY true on duplicating the Big VAT Boys recipes. Spend the 18 bucks its well worth it. I've done the same with adding extracts. Almond, cherry, lemon ect. So much easier to simply drop a lemon wedge into your brew if that's your thing or a drop of cherry. Just buy the Corona or Sam Adams. I'm more of a Porter, Dark brew anyhow. Latest is a Czech Dark that required some Belgium Candi to sweeten. I wasn't going to add any sugars but old habits die hard i guess. It'll taste fine but not as the Czechs like it.

VERY true on duplicating the Big VAT Boys recipes. Spend the 18 bucks its well worth it. I've done the same with adding extracts. Almond, cherry, lemon ect. So much easier to simply drop a lemon wedge into your brew if that's your thing or a drop of cherry. Just buy the Corona or Sam Adams.
Well for me Genny Cream is not available, and I miss it. Besides, where's the fun in just buying it? I'd like to try to brew something close to GCA. It's discouraging to read that it's not so easy.

Oh I'm not saying it cant be made. I was thinking of making one a few months ago. Like a 1 or 2 gallon kit deal. If I liked it then bump to my own recipe 5 gallon deal. I couldn't count the brews i've made. On & off since it was legal in 77. 1977 that is. The deal is trying to duplicate Exactly the taste the Big boys get is often futile. However that's also the best part of homebrewing, your own creations. Hell, go for it. You might end up with a fantastic brew.

I just brewed the first time something as simple as 30% corn, rest pilsener. 15 ibus, bittering only, 4.2% abv and clean lager yeast. Had my first one yesterday, still cloudy, maaaan this will be good when really clear. These clean adjunct beers really have their own beauty.

Last edited:
Closest I got was the Josh Weikert Make Your Best, using my fav WY1007, but it still was not "there" there.

I will be in Genny country this weekend (Rochester, NY) and hope to pick up a couple sixes of this special release.
1644580237716.png

From the brewery:
A hoppy twist on the original, Dry Hopped Cream Ale has just the right kick of bright, modern hops. Unfiltered to let its citrusy hop aroma shine, this sessionable day-drinker is everything you could want in a modern cream ale.

Have enjoyed more than a bit of Genny Cream in my time. These days I brew some summer ales that kinda catch the spirit of Genny C, but some how they always come out better.
The often brewed and often complimented Cream of Three Crops (see recipe threads) makes a very fine Cream Ale. It may not be Genny or LK, but anyone who appreciates the ale twist on American Adjunct Beer will appreciate it. IMHO.

Excellent, thanks. Please update with your thoughts with the cream ale yeast if you try it. Genny Cream, or as we called it in my college days, Genny Screamers, was my beer of choice back then, in the 70s. I still try to drink a couple whenever I’m back east, and I must say I still enjoy it. I’d like to brew something close to it some day.
We did too!…lol

Isn't also they key to this to not over boil? you don't want to carmelize that sugar. Somebody has suggested only boiling some of the DME in the beginning and adding the rest at the very end so it does not brown.

I brew all grain, so not best person to help perhaps. But if using DME, I'd put it all in on a gentle boil and let it go for as long as you want to boil hops. Probably 1/2 hour is plenty.

I have fond memories of genny, but if I wanted to drink some I'd buy a 30 pack. The cream ales I brew and like to drink are a bit more intense.

the last batch i made I used cluster hop pellets 60 min boil, love to turn down the hopiness ever so slightly, Can i add the hops later in the boil or use a different varietal?

the last batch i made I used cluster hop pellets 60 min boil, love to turn down the hopiness ever so slightly, Can i add the hops later in the boil or use a different varietal?

If you like the flavor of cluster hops, but just want less of it, just lower amount used. Or sub with a milder hop if you want. If you want less hop bitterness, but similar flavor, try adding hops later in boil, around 30 min instead of 60.

Latest posts

Back