I drank a $8.00 stout today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacktheKnife

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

None of the stores in the 'east end' of old Dallas, open before 11:00 am so I was across the street at some gourmet Bier establishment and told the guy I had an hour to kill before the store opened and could I piss and drink a couple of biers?
First I had a pilsner, $5.00! a liniumen or something and loved it!
Then I had an even harder to spell stout an $8.00 Bier! And it was even better!

So... my point is that the old 8 Lb Hammer-Bier I made for 16 years till I realized I could buy Shiner cheaper than brew my own and it was always ready to drink... not right out of the primary or secondary, not a few days after bottling because you don't have anything else to drink.
My point... is that in order to Brew Home-brew in a cost effective manner one must concentrate on quality and not quantity! I have never read the advanced part of the Pappazian book nor have I brewed with whole grain. Partial mash yes but I was in it for the alcohol. I just got tired of my 8Lb Hammer bier but now have a new goal... that of making some quality stuff like I drank today.
{I'll get the name next time I am down there}

I'm really on to something...

...Jack the Knife

Gentlemen,

None of the stores in the 'east end' of old Dallas, open before 11:00 am so I was across the street at some gourmet Bier establishment and told the guy I had an hour to kill before the store opened and could I piss and drink a couple of biers?

So... my point is that the old 8 Lb Hammer-Bier I made for 16 years till I realized I could buy Shiner cheaper than brew my own and it was always ready to drink... not right out of the primary or secondary, not a few days after bottling because you don't have anything else to drink.

My point... is that in order to Brew Home-brew in a cost effective manner one must concentrate on quality and not quantity! I have never read the advanced part of the Pappazian book nor have I brewed with whole grain. Partial mash yes but I was in it for the alcohol. I just got tired of my 8Lb Hammer bier but now have a new goal... that of making some quality stuff like I drank today.

...Jack the Knife

I read all of that... That's 30 seconds I'll never get back. You tried some different things while you were s***faced; did I miss anything?

Try to have a point next time... :(

Brewing beer has never been IMHO an attempt to make beer drinking cheaper... Rather to bring forth quality at any price.

Brewing beer has never been IMHO an attempt to make beer drinking cheaper... Rather to bring forth quality at any price.

Let's face it, if we only cared about the cost, we'd never have moved past drinking Natty (or whatever). Some people never do...poor bastards.

Let's face it, if we only cared about the cost, we'd never have moved past drinking Natty (or whatever). Some people never do...poor bastards.

:mad: What's left of my best drinking memories from back in the day involve Natty :cross:

whole lotta hate in this thread. pretty disappointing.

Seriously..

Dude's been a member since '05, with limited activity for the last 5 years, tries some good craft beer and wants to get back into the hobby and make a similar quality product. Go for it and enjoy your own beer!

Gentlemen,

...Jack the Knife

Seems clear to me. That there is what we call an epiphany.

Gentlemen,

...Jack the Knife

Heck ya man rock on, don't let these other hacks get ya down.

And the point is... He likes Shiner.

I thought it was a pretty entertaining post.

Go fire up that burner and brew like your buying it at a beer boutique!

bier
noun \ˈbir\

: a table or platform on which a coffin or dead body is placed at a funeral

I would agree you would want your bier to be pretty stout, but not so sure about drinking one though.

Latest posts

Back