I don't like belgian beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 to not liking the NBA. A bunch of overpaid yoyos if you ask me. Also, I think there is too much hype surrounding some of these Belgian beers. Especially when you have to pony up 5 or 6 bucks for an 11.2 oz bottle. Kinda gets old after a while IMO.

It's not so expensive when you live here. I've got friends though that still drink Budlight every night and won't touch anything stronger.

I like the local beers so much I've got a case of German beer in the garage I keep trying to get someone to drink for me so I get the empty bottles back. I don't have time for that stuff when there are so many cheap Belgians to enjoy.

So, I'm not a belgian fan - I don't mind spices and fruits and other things that can give you a different flavor and I see them as widening the possibilities, but belgian yeast just gives beer a nasty taste in my book.

I have spent time in Antwerpen (antwerp in english) and I still found myself drinking dutch and german beer there - couldn't stomach the oh so specific "belgian" taste that I can never describe.

Is something wrong with me? I am really not a connosoir of fine beer unless I'm in love with Belgians?

No big deal...I don't like British beers or wheat beers. Everyone has their own tastes.

Nope, now imagine you are at a beer fest happily stewarding and you get shanghaied into judging a flight of them. Some of the Belgian Blondes are okay, but I don't like the heavies.

Belgian "styles" are wonderful. It's 9.67832 volumes of carbonation that I can't stand.

Give me a Belgian ale and I'll let it flatten out for an hour before I'll start in on it. I am just not fond of any style carbonated more than 2.5 to 3.0 volumes.

To each his own I guess, although I would say don't write off the entire country just yet. Find a friend who likes Belgian beers and take a sample of whatever new stuff they've got. At worst you don't like it and only had to stomach a sip, but you may be surprised someday by finding something you love.

On an unrelated note, am I the only one surprised by all the love for Orval? Not that it was bad or anything, but of all the Trappist beers I've had, Orval was the only one I was actually dissapointed by. It just seemed plain in comparison.

I didn't like Belgian styles for the longest time. I couldn't choke down two quaff's, let alone a 750ml bottle of anything.

Then, without warning, my tastebuds changed. I know get cravings for them. I had just turned 43 at the time.

BTW: My Belgian "cherry" was popped with a Rochefort 10. Wow...

I didn't like Belgian styles for the longest time. I couldn't choke down two quaff's, let alone a 750ml bottle of anything.

Then, without warning, my tastebuds changed. I know get cravings for them. I had just turned 43 at the time.

BTW: My Belgian "cherry" was popped with a Rochefort 10. Wow...

Yes, taste buds change for sure. Same thing happened to me. Rochefort puts out WONDERFUL beers. So does Westvleteren, but those are kind of hard to come by. St.Bernadus is also very nice. I am not crazy about all Belgian beers, but I love Trappist style. Incredibly complex heavy beers that have multiple layers to every sip. And these are definitely sipping beers if you are going to get a lot of enjoyment out of them. They need to warm up for sure too. If you drink a Quad at 38ºF, then you aren't going to taste half of what that beer has to offer. You are supposed to serve these beers at cellar temp for a reason.

On an unrelated note, am I the only one surprised by all the love for Orval? Not that it was bad or anything, but of all the Trappist beers I've had, Orval was the only one I was actually dissapointed by. It just seemed plain in comparison.

Orval was my first Trappist experience. I had sampled a lot of beers that night before we sampled the Orval. I have a memory of it tasting completely different than I've been able to find again. The last bottle I drank had been bottled for 1 year and 1 week from the day I drank it. I didn't pick up any of the sour notes it should have. I think it was just too old. I agree it is my least favorite from all the others I've drank. I think my favorite is Rochefort 8. But I've not had La Trappe or the Achel.

well, tripels, quads, wits, dubbels, are the reason i got into homebrewing. if anyone can try a westmalle tripel and say they don't like it................. well, there must be some sensory malfunction. on the other hand, i didn't care anything for the tripel karmeliet. the saison dupont was a bit "strange", but it really grew on me after a few sips.

...have not seen Westvleteren, Achel or Koningshoeven anywhere.

Achel seems fairly easy to find around here at larger liquor stores. Westvleteren is not officially distributed outside the walls of the monastery, however, I understand a number of cafes in Benelux manage to carry it in limited quantities. One of the guys on my team works in our Amsterdam office and he brought me back a bottle of Westvleteren 8 or 10. Whatever it was it was a dubble and wasn't anything special. I'd prefer Rochefort or St. Bernardus for that style. Recently the Director of our Amsterdam office visited and brought me a case of La Trappe Tripel, which I believe is the same thing as Koningshoeven. It's fine but nothing to write home about. La Trappe is the only official Trappist brewery outside of Belgium, unless you count Achel's backyard.

Even if you don't like it now, go back to it later. You might find your tastes will change, maybe not.

When I first started drinking IPA's, I thought the IPA from Red Hook (Longhammer?) was very hoppy. Then I found out what hops really were.

La Trappe is the name of the beer. The name of the brewery is De Koningshoeven.

Have you had any of the La Trappe by any chance? Or maybe visited De Koningshoeven?? I will be going there by the end of the year, and was wondering what to expect.
Or do you maybe have any breweries in belgium you could recommend? I was thinking about La Chouffe.. Man, i used to love their beer. :)

I'm like McKBrew. I couldn't stomach IPAs 15 years ago, now IPA is my favorite. In fact, it's the only beer I order at a brewpub because most beers at brewpubs are not hoppy enough.

Belgians were an acquired taste for me. When I brew them, I keep the ferm. temp in the 60s to mellow out the phenols. I add a lot of hops, too!

Ok. So I did a web search on this and I have found virtually no reviews or reports on people who despise Belgian yeast beers as much as I do. I think that belgian yeast makes beers taste like the smell of burning styrofoam plastic, if that could somehow translate into a flavor. If you have never lit a styrofoam egg carton or to go container on fire with a lighter, I wouldn't recommend it. But if you do or ever did, you might get an idea of what I'm talking about. Of course actually burning the styrofoam is going to be much worse, but you might get the point. Belgian yeast gives beer a certain flavor like that, in my opinion.

Beers I have had with this flavor; more than I recall - they all use Belgian yeast. Its a very distinctive flavor and I absolutely hate it. Obviously New Belgium brewery is the most obvious culprit. I absolutely despise their Trippel beer. It has the most distinct flavor I am talking about. Right now I am drinking an Independence Brewery Co. (Austin, Texas) Amber and it has the same taste as in New Belgium Trippel. I'm assuming it has Belgian yeast. I had another Texas Beer, Solid Rock Cream Ale that appears to also have some of it. There's other National brands I know I've tasted it in, but I can not name any off the top of my head. Its a nasty flavor that doesn't belong in beer in my opinion. I'm going to start paying attention to the yeast used to brew my beers. I don't want beers with Belgian yeast in them anymore. I think it has a gross taste like burning/melting styrofoam plastic. What a horrible flavor to have to associate with drinking beer.

I much agree wit you. I guess we are the odd ducks that find Belgian yeast brewed beer unpalatable,

I've had a few Belgian-style American beers that I like (New Belgium "Abbey" is the only one I can think of) but even Abbey took a couple to warm up to me -- it was a bit too banana-y at first :ban:

I brewed a dubbel a few months ago and it's drinkable but I don't really like it. I'm gong to take a bottle to the next homebrew meeting and get folks to critique it for me. (I'm not sure if I don't like it because I just don't like it, or if it really sucks) I'm pretty sure I fermented it at too low a temperature for the yeast that I used -- it took forever to finish.

I haven't totally given up tho', I'm going to try brewing a summer witbeir soon, and maybe a saison.

One reason I started brewing again was to expand my horizons. I like IPA's but there's a lot more beers out there. the English Bitter I brewed recently is not quite to style but it tastes awesome and everybody likes it.

Is something wrong with me? I am really not a connosoir of fine beer unless I'm in love with Belgians?
57.gif
30.gif

No. But which Belgian beers in particular do you dislike?

Back