I don't know what I made...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheParent

Reaction score
Soooo, I threw some stuff in a jar and it fermented. But I do not really know what I made, more specifically: does the following recipe produce alcohol?

On 11-4 I threw roughly 500 grams of ginger in a pot with 350 grams of sugar, filled up the jar to almost the brim, screwed the lid on, gave it a ferm shake until all sugar was dissolved and let it sit for a week, burping the jar every day. IT WENT BONKERS in terms of activity, every day the lid was under pressure and it gave a nice hissss when I burped it.

on 18-4, I transferred the liquid to a new (but identical jar), added 20 raspberries, topped up wit a bit of water to reduce headroom and put on the lid again. result during the days: more active fermentation, more burping, some foam. I forgot to burp one day, and the next day I definitely smelled alcohol when I burped. I think...

now, april 27th, I've transferred the (nicely tasting!) ginger raspberry drink to bottels. I drank a bit, and I liked it, I think it tastes boozy, but I'm not sure at all.

So, who can explain to me what I made? Is there alcohol in there? And if so, can anyone make a blind guess how much? (70% sugar in the initial mix...).

(Also, to clarify: normally I do readings, write the process in my fermentation notes etc. but this one I just threw together on a whim, hence my confusion...)

Guessing wild yeast on the ginger fermented the sugar. As to what it is, raspberry ginger beer maybe? I mean to make alcoholic ginger beer it's basically ginger, water, yeast and some lemon juice. The wild yeast could cause it to turn funky eventually, but you never know.

Yeah I was thinking (and hoping haha) that. I decided to reopen a bottle and the ABV is 1.024. So there's still plenty sugar in there. Bottling was a bad idea, assuming fermentation will continue in the bottle... Now what?

edit: so according to this calculator my brix (percentage of dissolved sugar) is 70 and my current abv is 1,024 making this drink 48,4%!?

Last edited:
Back