I did something crazy, I bought a used Bourbon Barrel..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyCarHasAbs

Reaction score
My wife and I were at a brewery today and they were selling full sizes bourbon barrels they had recently used for $50. I was like.. "this is a steal and I eventually want to get into barrel aging my home brew".

Merry Early Christmas to me.

I have some questions for anyone who's had experience working with barrels. I plan on pouring a couple big bottles of bourbon in it for aging. Def not all the way, it would weight a ton. I probably wouldn't even put more than a batch or two in there once I started using it for aging. So I presume it needs to be on it's side at all times for aging unless it's not filled high enough to reach the bung.

My thought was to find a single rack, put it one the rack and then put a simple coffee table over it for decor. Where could I find a cheap rack?

Any other suggestions?

Also, I imagine withdrawing fluid from it will take some additional equipment. What might that be?

Congrats on your find !

Easiest way is to build your own rack. I build mine just with two simple 2x4 plank and a round saw.

I never used a barrel that is not filled completely, I have been told not to do that, what we do is collaborative brew with homebrewers in my city, its very fun, you get to know brewers and make new friends. we usually split the cost of the barrel. I also usually brew an extra batch as an angel share (to compensate for evaporation loss while in the barrel, I use it to top off to prevent any oxidation and keep the barrel full) So you can fill the whole barel together :)

I just emtied a bourbon barrel of RIS (we bought the barrel freshly emptied from the distillery)

You will have a lot of fun with barrels. :)

For emptying the barrelwe use CO2 pushed in the barrel using a cap with two holes (1 hole for the co2 fitting and the other for the racking cane), so you would need at least a CO2 bottle and regulator, hose, a stainless racking cane and a cap with 2 holes.

Last edited:
Ah, I found an article that explained it can dry the staves out.

I have no intention of filling it up any time soon. It could actually be a year or more before it gets filled with any spirits. So would it be best used as a fun DIY decor project instead? I mean, I could think of far more expensive unique furniture prospects.

The problem is if you wait too long before filling it (with beer for example) you also rise the chances of bacterias multiplying in the barrel (most of the time some brett yeast).

There are some workaround to prevent the staves from drying. We put some towels on the barrel and spray them every now and then. But then you lose the aesthetic aspect.

If you keep the barrel for a furniture project, then there is no problem and you can leave it dry ;)

I've seen some very nice furnitures project done with barrels.

The problem is if you wait too long before filling it (with beer for example) you also rise the chances of bacterias multiplying in the barrel (most of the time some brett yeast).

There are some workaround to prevent the staves from drying. We put some towels on the barrel and spray them every now and then. But then you lose the aesthetic aspect.

If you keep the barrel for a furniture project, then there is no problem and you can leave it dry ;)

I've seen some very nice furnitures project done with barrels.

I’m thinking my plan is to give it till January and if I haven’t found a group to do an aging project with, I’ll skip it and go straight to the dyi project.

It will def need to be outside for sanding and staining. Just not sure what temp would be good for it to not be damaged by weather.

Back