I did a dumb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bransona

Reaction score
Back around the start of the year, I brewed my house porter (a work in progress, but not changing much. Based on founder's porter). I had a fairly strong brew to start off the brew day, and by the time I got my grains ready and in the bag, my strike water was up a fair bit higher than I needed it. Unfortunately, I let that strong beer make my next decision for me. It whispered softy: "Just go ahead...mash away...it's a big brew...your temperatures will drop enough..."

162* for 15 minutes. Good game, little voice in my head. Good game.

Fast forward two weeks to when I thought it would be ready to bottle. Gravity is at 1.04 of a predicted 1.02. Oh crap. It's not just stuck. I murdered my enzymes. No amylase available. Not about to drink this heavy, calorier-rich stuff. I made a bold, risky choice. I mashed another half pound of 2-row at 148 for 30 minutes and chucked it right in. If it got infected, what did I have to lose?

Ok. Present time. No infection. I ended up fermenting that bad boy out to 1.004. That's from 1.072.

I made porter lite, guys. It's not horrible, but wow... Literally no body, even though I fermented with s-33 which leaves a nice ester mouthfeel.

I guess the moral is to not do any of this stupid stuff. Brew on, friends :mug:

Sounds like this belongs in the "don't do that" thread! I know exactly how you feel, having done pretty much the same thing. But OTOH if you're not drinking the mash will know and will refuse to convert for you...

Sounds like this belongs in the "don't do that" thread! I know exactly how you feel, having done pretty much the same thing. But OTOH if you're not drinking the mash will know and will refuse to convert for you...

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. It's a rough life, eh? ;)

I fixed a wild yeast infected Dry Irish Stout that ended very thin with no mouth feel. One ounce of maltodextrin dissolved in a quart of boiled water. Added one tablespoon to a 20 ounce pour. Brought the body back. Driest finish I ever had on a dry stout. Very enjoyable to drink.

Latest posts

Back