I cheated...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkimac1027

Reaction score
And tried my first brew 1 week after it was bottled.... i made a good one!
It tastes great! i am stoked ot see my first batch come out tasty.

A little too roasted flavor for an IPA, but it a great brew! Great color, head and head retention, not to mention a good flavor!:rockin:

I am curious how much the flavor will change over the next 2 weeks. Will the bittering hops be more apparent? when i first tried it when i was bottling it, it tasted really bitter, and i was concerned about it being too much, but now i want more bitterness....

On another good note: should be racking my hoppy red into the secondary for dry hopping today, right after the interview that i am going to nail.

nikkimac1027 said:
And tried my first brew 1 week after it was bottled.... i made a good one!
It tastes great! i am stoked ot see my first batch come out tasty.

A little too roasted flavor for an IPA, but it a great brew! Great color, head and head retention, not to mention a good flavor!:rockin:

I am curious how much the flavor will change over the next 2 weeks. Will the bittering hops be more apparent? when i first tried it when i was bottling it, it tasted really bitter, and i was concerned about it being too much, but now i want more bitterness....

On another good note: should be racking my hoppy red into the secondary for dry hopping today, right after the interview that i am going to nail.

Do yourself a favor and stick a six pack deep in a closet somewhere, or way back in your fridge. Forget about them for a couple months, and then try again.

nikkimac1027 said:

The basic nature will probably not change much. Think, though, of what happens when a jazz ensemble or basketball team gets a few weeks of practice together. Everything will flow together more smoothly. The pieces will fit better. The rough edges will be gone.

Sounds kind of weird? I don't know how to describe it any better.

By the way, many or most people start doing "quality checks" on their beers within a week or so of bottling even though we know they will only be better with time.

Drinking a bottle at one week is NOT cheating, it's QA.

Drinking the whole batch at a week, is a mistake!

david_42 said:
Drinking a bottle at one week is NOT cheating, it's QA.

Drinking the whole batch at a week, is a mistake!

true true, i feel beter know...

So i think i continue to try one next week too, and see the change. I am just so stoked to see it good this early. It's amazing what those yeasty creepy crawlies can do for ya.:p

oh and i think i def nailed that interview- what a day, what a day.

Congrats on the interview that always feels good. I usually start sampeling at 5 days just so I know the progress. There seems to me a point where the beer goes from strong to almost too mellow then after a bit it averages out. That doesn't make any sense I know. I love all of my beers and I actually get a little weird when I see how much of a batch I have drunk. Then I get conflicted wondering if I should make the same one that I loved so well or a new one that I will become attached to. Life is hard.

I bottled my first batch, an APA, on 12/16. Not being a hop-head, I thought it WAY too bitter until recently. For my taste, it's aging well and is better now than it was that first week.

My second batch, a robust porter that is also a bit hoppier than I prefer, was bottled 1/9 and is mellowing out nicely. In fact, DH has pronounced it one of the best beers he's had in awhile.. does my ego good!

I've read that the bittering hops mellow with aging, which seems to be true based on my experience.

I tried my Sorachi Saison after 1 week and it was near SPECTACULAR.

It's now 2 weeks later and it's GONE. I saved one for my roommate who's out of town until March, but it won't last past then.

Guess I need to make bigger batches so I don't go through them so fast.

Back