I cant Mash out! WTF?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffsta

Reaction score
Im on my 10th AG, and I cant seem to get my system to mash out temps. I use 3 keggles and a march pump, false bottom, and a KAB4 burner. I have my HLT at about 180, and direct fire my MLT. Before I sparge, I hit it the MLT with heat, and the temp either stays still, or shoots up to 190 degrees. Then, like a flip of a switch after I start sparging with the 180 degree water, the thermo reads about 160. I mean, I cant stir it, so what do I do? The grains either heat up to way over mashout temp, or dont get hot enough.

Any suggestions? Also, what if I dont mash out at all?

FWIW I used to never mash out, and I still got 78% eff.

What are you using for a thermometer? I have a BrewMometer and it sticks like hell. I can be stepping up my mash and the damned needle won't budge, then suddenly it jumps 20-30 degrees. I have to keep tapping it when stepping up to get it to not stick, and even that doesn't always work. If you have a spare thermometer, you might use it to cross-check the one on your MLT.

Where is the thermometer located and are you getting an accurate read? If you are batch sparging I believe dumping in 185F water has the same effect as mash out - which is raising the temp to stop the conversion. Why can't you stir?

I'm thinking the thermo is at the bottom of your MLT? Perhaps the lower portion is getting hot but the heat has not transferred throughout the vessel. When the lower, hotter wort flows out your reading drops.

Just a guess.

I agree with Bernie. Both my Brewometer's stick as well. Makes for an angry brewing event when ading heat to you MLT! While I'm at it, WTF 35.00 bucks a peice and they stick?

I have a direct fired tun also and I run the pump speed so that the output measures about 172F. On a 10 gallon batch, it does take a good 10 minutes to hit 165F, which is where I call it a day. I sparge with 175F. I do stir a couple times in that period though because it only takes a minute of recirculation to re-clear the wort before runoff.

I agree with Bernie. Both my Brewometer's stick as well. Makes for an angry brewing event when ading heat to you MLT! While I'm at it, WTF 35.00 bucks a peice and they stick?

+100 on that... I effin hate my brewometers... all three stick and give me fits. I am constantly trying tapping them trying to get them to actually work. I don't have them super-clamped down or anything to the pot. They are snug so they don't leak but not over-tightened. Two are much worse than the third but they are all a problem. i have to use a hand-held thrermometer all the time to double check everything.

Im not sure the brand of thermo's that I have, but they are attached to the keg with 1/2NTP, and the couplers are welded in. I have 2 thermo's on my MLT, about 3 to 4 inches from the bottom.

Regarding the stirring, I thought that once end the mash, you dont want to disturb the grainbed at all? Am I getting this wrong? So, are you saying to just keep stirring it until I hit the 168, then vorlauf and start to sparge? I was under the impression that you didnt want to stir, even within 10 minutes from the end of the mash.

Also, if I am running at about 75% efficiency, why would I want to mash out anyway? Wouldnt I want to leave it at 153 just to ensure Im getting that full conversion? I guess I really dont understand the benefit.

Mashing out halts conversion to lock in your fermentables profile. Brewstrong podcast had an episode called "enzymes" that you should check out.

It's also arguable that direct fired mashouts serve to increase efficiency a bit by making sugars a bit more soluble. You could raise the temp with your batch sparge infusions but it would be slightly later in the process. A direct fire mashout gets the temp up prior to first runnings.

Is it worth the effort? Jury is still out.

Back