I can't drink beer anymore...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devo9

Reaction score
I can't drink beer anymore...

OK, I am just curious if anyone else has had a problem like this before. Since I started brewing cider I have had a tendancy to drink... well, cider. I haven't had a beer in over 6 months leading into my vacation. During my vacation in New York I had no access to my cider, however when visiting some in-laws I was offered some beer (Heineken). I noticed it was kind of hard to drink and didn't taste nearly as good as I remember it tasting. After 3 beers I didn't feel like I could drink any more.

The next day we stopped off at a supermarket and I picked up some woodchuck cider. That night I cracked one open and even though it was sweeter then I like, it went down quite nicely. before I knew it I pollished off my six pack and was ciderless once again. Everyone was still drinking so I tried another beer. I don't remember what the beer was called, but it was a light beer of some sort. After my second beer I was done once again, not drunk, I just couldn't drink it anymore.

Has anyone else had problem going back to beer once they started drinking cider?

I can't really drink Heineken any more either. Not a fan. Try some different styles?

But no shame in not liking beer anymore. Drink what you like. But don't be surprised if 6-12 months from now you crave a beer again.

I can't really drink Heineken any more either. Not a fan. Try some different styles?

But no shame in not liking beer anymore. Drink what you like. But don't be surprised if 6-12 months from now you crave a beer again.

I am not worried about my tastes changing, I am just curious about other's experiences after drinking home brewed cider. I thought it would make an interesting thread...

i've only drank cider for years now, i find beer hard on my stomach. but i've only started the homebrewing and my first batch is just about ready. as for heineken its only nice with some white lemonade in it. about 50/50.
any nice cider reciepes i should try ?

stretchmurph said:
i've only drank cider for years now, i find beer hard on my stomach. but i've only started the homebrewing and my first batch is just about ready. as for heineken its only nice with some white lemonade in it. about 50/50.
any nice cider reciepes i should try ?

Heineken with lemonade? I might try that out sometime.

As for nice recipes, I'm still pretty new at this myself. Been at it just under a year. I have a few Meads brewing and I have made a few ciders.

Edwart's Apfelwein is pretty good, but I made it with store bought cider. Next time I want to try fresh apple juice.

I've also make cyser with fresh apples (McIntosh and Gala mix 45/45 mix with 10 parts Granny Smith. (My mix came from a few weeks of experimenting with fresh juices). I made 6 gallons with 7 lbs of honey. It turned out AMAZING. If I can reproduce it sometime I will.

The only other cider I made was straight organic apple juice fermented with Champaign yeast. Good drink, but less interesting then my other concoctions.

I am still waiting to try my meads, so I can't really comment on those yet. They still need some aging before they are drinkable (are least I hope that's all it needs)

I still enjoy both beer and cider...........however since I have gotten into homebrewing (cider and beer) and craft beers I can no longer tolerate BMC beers.

I still like beer. However, since I've made Upstatemike's Carmel Apple Cider (my 1st cider) it's hard to find/take the time to brew beer. Cider is much less time consuming. I've been able to make 3 batches of cider and still haven't had the time to brew the 2 beer kits I had before making my 1st cider. In fact I robbed the yeast from one of them to make cider.

I make a cider infused beer every winter called my Slopyday ale! but no, i always enjoy drinking a good beer, and don't have a problem going back!

Cider is much easier to brew an in my opinion way more fun and you can tweak the hell out of it. I do still enjoy a nice beer but haven't had a craving in a few weeks for one. I plan on doing a cider one day and dry hopping it with a citrusy hop flavor. What the hell;)

If you want to get more citrusy you can add lemon grass to your hops, it's what Colorado Cider does with one of their varieties.

I never could drink beer, never really like the taste and it always seemed to do weird things to my stomach. I randomly bought Strongbow one day and haven't even thought about trying beer again since.

HAREEBROWNBEEST said:
Cider is much easier to brew an in my opinion way more fun and you can tweak the hell out of it. I do still enjoy a nice beer but haven't had a craving in a few weeks for one. I plan on doing a cider one day and dry hopping it with a citrusy hop flavor. What the hell;)

Had a dry hopped Woodchuck a few weeks ago on tap at Whole Foods. Was kinda good.

CRock303 said:
If you want to get more citrusy you can add lemon grass to your hops, it's what Colorado Cider does with one of their varieties.

I never could drink beer, never really like the taste and it always seemed to do weird things to my stomach. I randomly bought Strongbow one day and haven't even thought about trying beer again since.

Try Crispin and Angry Orchard if you have not.

I just tried the Crispin original last week and thought it could use a little more flavor. Although generally good, it tasted a little weak to me.

Is it a bad sign that everytime I read the name of this thread I think, "My problem is I have a hard time drinking beer any less!"

popeboy said:
I just tried the Crispin original last week and thought it could use a little more flavor. Although generally good, it tasted a little weak to me.

Is it a bad sign that everytime I read the name of this thread I think, "My problem is I have a hard time drinking beer any less!"

Hmm. I like that It's light and refreshing on a hot day. Angry orchard and crispin have basically replaced strongbow for me. Woodchuck limited edition Belgian cider is good too.

Not a Heineken fan so I feeel your pain...

...AND when I lived in California there were two Breweries that had been around forever and people loved their beer but I could not drink it. ALWAYS to hoppy....

But there are so many other styles.

DPB

My tastes in alcoholic beverages has changed multiple times over the years. Beer, mixed drinks, wine, beer, wine, cider, mixed drinks, etc A phase can go on for months or years. When I started brewing, I made a lot of IPAs. Haven't made one in years. Made a blackberry wine 3-4 years ago, drank about a gallon, haven't touched it in two years. I suspect it will age well and I'll enjoy it again soon.

Back