I buy Carlo Rossi Wine for the Bottle, do you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some friends who drink this stuff like water so I'm going to re-bottle in some left over wine bottles and give it to them instead of bringing over a good bottle of wine or beer. So I saved doubly thanks bbt

Here's a thought, put some CR into a fancy bottle of wine and re-cork it. Then give it to them as gifts.

Lol

First time poster.

I ran into this thread 'cause it was one of the first search results for "carlo rossi lid." Page 4 and its alcohol poisoning/nekkid gf story came up specifically, so my first read on this forum was awesome.

I set out to find if there's a common plastic lid size that can be used for 4 liter CR jugs. Last year I bought a bottle of the crap white stuff, I think it's supposed to be chablis. I used the bottle for some home made nog, since it mellows once it's been in the fridge for a while, and I didn't want to leave it in a pitcher for long.

Does anyone know of a plastic lid size that fits so I can reuse these bottles? Egg nog glues the lids on, so I had to use Channel-Lock pliers to remove a couple.

I've just started brewing, and my fist batch is from a Mr. Beer set up I received as a gift. I have a few books on doing this from scratch and I hope this forum can be a great resource for additonal tips and ideas. I already have a new recipe to try thanks to this thread, and a few uses for CR wine too! I've done sangria, but next time I'll try the Kalimotxo.

I've found that the most drinkable of the CR wines is the Paisano (it's a bit sweet already), and they are all better on ice. I don't think I'll be doing the white stuff again.

First time poster.

I ran into this thread 'cause it was one of the first search results for "carlo rossi lid." Page 4 and its alcohol poisoning/nekkid gf story came up specifically, so my first read on this forum was awesome.

I set out to find if there's a common plastic lid size that can be used for 4 liter CR jugs. Last year I bought a bottle of the crap white stuff, I think it's supposed to be chablis. I used the bottle for some home made nog, since it mellows once it's been in the fridge for a while, and I didn't want to leave it in a pitcher for long.

Does anyone know of a plastic lid size that fits so I can reuse these bottles? Egg nog glues the lids on, so I had to use Channel-Lock pliers to remove a couple.

I've just started brewing, and my fist batch is from a Mr. Beer set up I received as a gift. I have a few books on doing this from scratch and I hope this forum can be a great resource for additonal tips and ideas. I already have a new recipe to try thanks to this thread, and a few uses for CR wine too! I've done sangria, but next time I'll try the Kalimotxo.

I've found that the most drinkable of the CR wines is the Paisano (it's a bit sweet already), and they are all better on ice. I don't think I'll be doing the white stuff again.

I don't know about plastic lids, but my homebrew store sells metal ones that fit perfectly! They're really cheap, too!

The lid is the same as the jars of LD Carlson stuff (Irish moss/camden tabs) or I will 2nd the LHBS should have these. If you have a local brew pub they may just give you a few if you "know somebody".

I will add my secret to make this wine dissappear as it is a perfect time of the year for this.

Preferably with a merlot or cab...

Step 1: freeze concentrate it. Yep do it. (Obviously not in the glass jug)
Step 2: invite some people over or plan to take to a dinner part (Thanksgiving / Christmas anyone?)
Step 3: When you are ready to brew this up take a few cinimon sticks, orange slices, cranberries, nutmeg/ginger and bring it to a boil in a large skillet. Reduce heat let simmer for 10 minutes or so. Strain hot liquid into vessle and discard fruit.
Step 4: in a crock pot that is set on its lowest setting or in a giant thermos mix the hot spiced water and the FC wine.

This basically allows you to serve the "mulled wine" at full strength by removing the water then adding it back. ;)

The lid is the same as the jars of LD Carlson stuff (Irish moss/camden tabs) or I will 2nd the LHBS should have these. If you have a local brew pub they may just give you a few if you "know somebody".

I will add my secret to make this wine dissappear as it is a perfect time of the year for this.

Preferably with a merlot or cab...

Step 1: freeze concentrate it. Yep do it. (Obviously not in the glass jug)
Step 2: invite some people over or plan to take to a dinner part (Thanksgiving / Christmas anyone?)
Step 3: When you are ready to brew this up take a few cinimon sticks, orange slices, cranberries, nutmeg/ginger and bring it to a boil in a large skillet. Reduce heat let simmer for 10 minutes or so. Strain hot liquid into vessle and discard fruit.
Step 4: in a crock pot that is set on its lowest setting or in a giant thermos mix the hot spiced water and the FC wine.

This basically allows you to serve the "mulled wine" at full strength by removing the water then adding it back. ;)

Too much work. Skip the freezing. Simmer the spices in a small volume of the wine... d'oh!

My LHBS sells similar 1gal bottles for 1/3 the price. I just prefer to do that.

Back