I built a kegerator for our kitchen that the wife was alright with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwking

Reaction score
So I got really tired of bottling beer as many of you have but I couldn't come up with a solution to get a kegerator that worked with my wife's taste. I also didn't want to have to go to the garage or basement for a beer. Here is the end result. It will likely fit 5 kegs if they are packed tight and so far has worked really well.

I did not build the buffet - just insulated it like crazy and sealed everything up.

I did take some closer pictures of the door since I struggled with finding really good pictures of how folks handle that. It seems to be working well but we haven't hit the humid summer quite yet. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

View media item 70962View media item 70963View media item 70964View media item 70965View media item 70966

Looks great - does the AC unit get the inside cold enough?
Maybe I can even convince SWMBO that is something eligible for upstairs.

It does. I just wired the two wires for the thermostat directly together and have it set on low cool. Of course it is plugged into a STC-1000 that is set at 36 degrees. I also have a fan blowing into the evaporator from the inside to make sure it doesn't freeze. I don't know if it would but I've read some folks have had problems with that.

It typically runs about 4 mins every 50 mins or so.

Nice looking project. How do you deal with the heat from the condenser and the noise of a typical window AC unit?

The heat hasn’t been a problem yet and I’m not so sure it will be. It doesn’t run very much at all. Also - I actually thought this would be louder. I’d like it a little quieter but it is barely louder than our dishwasher. It might be something that annoys the wife the longer we have it though.

Back