I brewed with Citra for the first time and was amazed at the result

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
Until now I have been unsuccessful at making an ale with huge hop flavor and aroma but I was finally successful with my latest Citra ale Hop Bomb.
This Pale Ale screams with citrusy hop flavor. I am so happy I finally made an ale with mega hop flavor I've been trying for. The bitterness is moderate but the hop flavor is very high.
Here is the recipe I used.

8.25# two row
4oz C60
4oz Carapils
21 grams Belma (11.6%) 75 mins
2oz Citra (12.9) 15 mins
1.5oz Citra (5 mins)
US05 slurry from previous batch
I got great efficiency on this batch with 5 gallons @ 14 brix or ~ 1.056 OG

AWESOME! That looks like a very fine brew. I too have fallen for the flavor of Citra Hops! YUUUUM!

I too am a Citraholic. I use it in all my hoppy beers. It really gives a great flavor and aroma that just screams refreshing. I like your recipe I may have to try your hop selection together.

I am not a hophead, but I must say that Citra gives an american wheat an awesome kick of flavor when dryhopped.

I had one ipa come out almost cat pee like. But other than that one brew, I love late/dry hop Citra.

When I was going through my single hop series, I found citra to be one of the most potent hops in terms of aroma.

Congrats! That beer looks great! I'm fermenting an all Citra APA myself, I hope to enjoy it as much as you enjoyed yours.

I've also just recently started exploring the use of Citra in pale ale. I brewed a summer pale (on tap right now) that I bittered with 1/2oz of Warrior and then added 1oz of Citra at 5 min and 1oz of Amarillo at 0 min. It's got a very balanced, refreshing citrus/grapefruit note. Good stuff.

I like the way that Citra and Amarillo play together. Next time, I plan to do the same recipe with a dry hop of an ounce each of those two.

Back