I Blew It

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeMont

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brew day this morning. was a little excited as I want to do two batches today. SO I have my water all heated, Have mash tun all clean, warm it up. Okay all is well. Added grain and water sweet. **** I forgot to put in the bottom screen. Dumped grain and water in clean five gallon tub, put in screen and dumped in the (Now Chiiled) grain and water. Temp down to 148. I was looking for 152 degrees. Drained off about 3/4 gallon and heated on burner, introduced to wort and temp to 150. Live and learn, I hope it turns out.

Sounds like your conversions might be a little off for mashing. Colder, dryer... What kinda beer were you shooting for?

I'd imagine this is going to turn out fine although maybe not quite as you planned. No real concern about sanitation since you'll still need to do your boil.

Don't be so hard on yourself, you didn't blow it, you just put some personal emphasis on checking all of the details before mashing in :D You'll end up with a little more fermentable wort so maybe a toucher higher ABV and less residual sweetness. Unless you were planning on this for a competition entry I'm sure you'll look back and say "what the heck was I so worried about."

This is an Amber Ale, Old Bald Head, Fat tire clone, thanks for the encouragement. Just finishing boil and It looks I will hit my boil gravity of 1.058, tastes okay too. Beer is forgiving. thanks again.

Spartan, I wish I would have thought of that but went into stupid mode and ..... The beer is in the fermentor and safely in the chamber. The wort tasted great, It came in clean, was a little light but will be fine.

Back