I am wondering how to handle sanitized bottle after sanitization and before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am about to bottle for the 1st time and I dont know where to put the sanitized bottle to drain dry. I dont wanna contaminate them between the washing and the bottling steps, but I really dont know how to handle them properly.

I just flip them upside down and let the last little bit drip out into my vinator immediately before bottling. You don’t necessarily need the bottles to be dry. Once they are dry the Starsan is not effective at sanitizing anymore. The very small amount of starsan that gets in the bottle with the beer will be unnoticeable.

If you use your dishwasher to sanitize your bottles (clean the bottles first, then put them through without any soap and with heated drying enabled), just leave them in the rack until you're using them. Very easy.

It gets a little tricky if you're also bottling over your dishwasher door for easy clean-up, but hey, no need for a bottle tree.

I sanitize then put bottles in the dishwasher to drip dry on the bottom rack. Then when I bottle I just work from the front of the rack to the back.

Or, if you have the counter space, pull the entire rack out of the dishwasher. Then you dont need to worry about drips.

I use a bottle tree after cleaning and rinsing. I use Starsan to sanitize which needs no rinsing. I set the bucket of sanitizer next to the bottling bucket. Sink bottles in the sanitizer, drain, fill with beer and cap them.

I put a bit of star san in the bottle, shake it, pour out any excess, then place the sanitized bottles upside down in a sanitized bucket. As they continue to drain I just pull one at a time to bottle.

I use the dishwasher method. Half the bottles straight in bucket of star san solution, half in bottom rear rack. Take out of star san and place in front bottom rack, upside-down. Bottle using the sanitized bottles, set on counter as completed. When those are done put the rest of the bottles in sanitizer, then cap filled bottles. Repeat for second half.

I open the dishwasher door the whole time and bottle over it to catch inevitable drips.

On bottling day, put a gallon of Starsan solution into your rinsed-out bottling bucket.

Then sanitize the individual pieces of a bottling tree in the bottling bucket, and assemble the bottling tree.

Then sanitize your already cleaned bottles using a Vinator, and put the bottle on the bottling tree. They will drip dry.

Sanitize the rest of your bottling equipment. Rack the Starsan solution out of your sanitized bottling bucket and into a gallon jug.

Pour out any remaining Starsan solution from your bottling bucket.

Rack your beer into your bottling bucket, and bottle your beer.

If you use your dishwasher to sanitize your bottles (clean the bottles first, then put them through without any soap and with heated drying enabled), just leave them in the rack until you're using them. Very easy.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^ Been doing it this way for three years and never had a problem. You can run the dishwasher the night before and heat sanitized bottles are waiting on you in the morning. Your dishwasher is sanitized at the same time and bugs don't climb into upside down bottles. I am running several batches through right now, sticking them back in boxes, and covering with foil until I'm ready to bottle.

I bought a rectangular shaped milk crate from Walmart for $3 and change. . It is perforated with 1.5 inch holes. Turned upside down. It will hold 30 12oz bottles. Simply put a towel under to catch drips.

Back