I am sure this is a screwup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttownbrew

Reaction score
OK, noob here. First batch brewed this past Saturday. Brewers Best English Brown.

Everything went great and I had bubbles in the air lock by late Sunday. Fermentation was going along great Monday and Tuesday.

Then the screwup. We had a really nice weekend so I had left the Primary in the garage. Tuesday morning everything was going along great but it was supposed to get cooler throughout the day so I moved the bucket inside before I left for work. I just set it inside the garage door on top of the clothes dryer until I could get home from work and find a better place.

Little did I know that my wife started some laundry when she got home Tuesday night. I came home, wlaked in the door to see the dryer going and the primary getting a steady shaking. Pulled it off the dryer and there has not been a bubble in the air lock since.

Did the shaking from the dryer agitate too much? Is this batch ruined? Is ther anything I should do to repair any damage done? Am I just being a paranoid noob and I should just calm down and let everything happen?

I would imagine it is fine. As long as there was still liquid in the airlock no nasties would have gotten in. The fermentation that had already started created a nice blanket of CO2 on top of the beer to protect it from oxidation. I think all that really happened with regards to the agitation is that any dissolved CO2 was released from the beer.

The only real problem I can see would be all the extra heat the dryer may have added to the beer. See the complete fermentation through and take a taste and see how it is. You've got all that work in it already, no sense abandoning it!

Yeah, it's no big deal. I keep my carboys in a countertop that is right next to the dryer, so they get a little vibration when we run loads. It's all good.

The shaking is a none issue. The heat from the dryer could be a bad thing. Next time the dryer is running check and see how hot the top of it gets. If there is not hear present you should be fine, if it does get hot you might get some off flavors but it shouldn't be to bad.

Dude you are screwed! I did that same thing and my fermenter exploded all over the place the next day!!

Just playing, it will be fine! And i know im a jerk.:cross:

Dude you are screwed! I did that same thing and my fermenter exploded all over the place the next day!!

Just playing, it will be fine! And i know im a jerk.:cross:

Broozer - I suppose you would be willing to take the batch off my hands so I don't have to clean up the mess.

Thanks for easing my concerns everyone. I actually just came from the house and took a gravity reading. It was 1.013...target is .010 - .012 so that made me feel a little better.

I figure a few more days in the primary and if the gravity is holding I will rack to secondary Friday or Saturday.

Thanks for your help!

ttownbrew said:
Broozer - I suppose you would be willing to take the batch off my hands so I don't have to clean up the mess.

Thanks for easing my concerns everyone. I actually just came from the house and took a gravity reading. It was 1.013...target is .010 - .012 so that made me feel a little better.

I figure a few more days in the primary and if the gravity is holding I will rack to secondary Friday or Saturday.

Thanks for your help!

Ill step up and see it through to completion if you dont want it. :ban:

BrooZer said:
Ill step up and see it through to completion if you dont want it. :ban:

That's what I love about this forum...the more expereinced members are always willing to help out us newbies...:mug:

Even a little heat that late in the game won't really do anything. it's quite common for most of the fermentation to last two or three days and trail off to almost none for the next five. Stick to the plan and you'll be A-OK

Actually, that was the same kit I did for my first batch. It only bubbled for about 3 days and then ceased.

Back