I am giving up beer for 30 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 7 for me. Friday night, after a long week, I really wanted to try a new light rye I bottled a little over a week ago, but stayed committed. Down 7lbs last I checked, but will check again this evening. Yesterday I bottled a pumpkin ale that will age until the holidays. The vanilla smell was killing me, but it will be worth the wait.

"..You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and they won't take him.

And if two people, two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both ****** and they won't take either of them.

And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an organization.

And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day,I said fifty people a day walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. And friends they may thinks it's a movement.

And that's what it is , the Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacre Movement"

Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant Massacre Lyrics

Looks like ArizonaGoalie started a movement!

Sometimes chaos is good.

"..You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and they won't take him.

And if two people, two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both ****** and they won't take either of them.

And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an organization.

And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day,I said fifty people a day walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. And friends they may thinks it's a movement.

And that's what it is , the Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacre Movement"

Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant Massacre Lyrics

Looks like ArizonaGoalie started a movement!

Sometimes chaos is good.

I heard that Arlo is going to perform Alice's Restaurant in full on a tour this year. It'd be the first time in over 20 years or something like that. I saw him play a couple summers ago. It was amazing. I generally listen to metal (the blacker the better) but that was an amazing experience.

Keep up the good work you guys who are breaking from beersk. I've been cutting back a ton, but I don't think I'll be taking any super long breaks. I also want to lose some weight, so less beer will lead to better food choices, I'm thinking. Back on MyFitnessPal...logging cals is a pain in the ass, but ya gotta do it to keep on track.

The March continues. Great job everyone.

My weight is still heading in the right direction but I've got a ways to go.

Tomorrow is the halfway point, very cool. There's no doubting the benefits I've seen, not sure how many of them are physical vs mental, but it really doesn't matter. This experience has been a positive one.

Think I'm going to try a mini version of this too. No beer for me until Sunday the 21st, starting yesterday, so about 2 weeks. I'm allowing myself two beers in between (one beer I bottled over the weekend and one I'm bottling tonight to make sure they're up to snuff for an upcoming trip. Might be able to get wife to split them with me).

Yesterday was easy. At work for 11 hours and had stuff around the house that needed done so I didn't miss it at all.
13 days to go.

Day Many,

I haven't given in since the wedding, so only one skip day since this all started 2 weeks ago. Survived a gallery opening at a bar, my anniversary, and brewing all without drinking anything. I've lost about 8 lbs so far, which is awesome. I'm sure a lot of that was water weight at the beginning, but it's not that the scale doesn't swing back and forth so wildly.

The hardest thing for me right now is the beer I have bottled ready to drink. I have 3 weizens that I haven't tasted but have already started giving out. All good comments so far, but it's hard to trust what people say. I asked my bartender for friend and she said she thought the lemon tasted a little mediciney, but the other person said the lemon was her favorite. I need to have friends over for a tasting party so I can just have a sip...

I have to say, I really enjoyed going to a bar and not drinking. I saved a ton of money and still had a very good time.

Tomorrow is the halfway point, very cool. There's no doubting the benefits I've seen, not sure how many of them are physical vs mental, but it really doesn't matter. This experience has been a positive one.

Man, I find it hard to believe that your weight is dropping that much just from not drinking beer. You must've been drinking a lot huh?
I always felt like my weight was more affected by the food and the amounts I was eating more so than the beer and amounts I was drinking. There'd be weekends where'd I'd just get sh!tfaced Friday and Saturday night and my weight wouldn't change a bit on Monday. But a weekend or week of not drinking much and eating sh!tty and the weight starts creeping up...

Just sayin'... But congrats. Keep it up.

SatanPrinceOfDarkness said:
I have to say, I really enjoyed going to a bar and not drinking. I saved a ton of money and still had a very good time.

I did this last night too. Went out for an aunt's bday and had nothing, no beer, no food, and still had a great time. I did have one at home beforehand though. Rode my bike hard on the way there, felt awesome. It's nice to be social again without beer, almost feels like me again from ages ago before I started drinking. Less focus on the beer, more focus on the situation, the people you're with, etc.

Man, I find it hard to believe that your weight is dropping that much just from not drinking beer. You must've been drinking a lot huh?
I always felt like my weight was more affected by the food and the amounts I was eating more so than the beer and amounts I was drinking. There'd be weekends where'd I'd just get sh!tfaced Friday and Saturday night and my weight wouldn't change a bit on Monday. But a weekend or week of not drinking much and eating sh!tty and the weight starts creeping up...

Just sayin'... But congrats. Keep it up.

I'm actually doing the South Beach diet Phase 1. Absolutely no alcohol, no sugars of any kind, no grains or starches. This phase lasts for two weeks and then I can gradually add in some of the restricted foods.

You are correct in that it was the snacking that went along with the beer that did me in, not so much the beer itself. I've been weighing in every morning even before starting the diet and what I noticed is that the day after drinking my weight would typically decrease, but two days or so later was when it hit me, maybe I was just dehydrated that next morning.

I'm doing this more for the health benefits, any weight loss is just an added bonus but it's needed. My blood sugar and pressure are great, after being borderline.

I'm actually doing the South Beach diet Phase 1. Absolutely no alcohol, no sugars of any kind, no grains or starches. This phase lasts for two weeks and then I can gradually add in some of the restricted foods.

You are correct in that it was the snacking that went along with the beer that did me in, not so much the beer itself. I've been weighing in every morning even before starting the diet and what I noticed is that the day after drinking my weight would typically decrease, but two days or so later was when it hit me, maybe I was just dehydrated that next morning.

I'm doing this more for the health benefits, any weight loss is just an added bonus but it's needed. My blood sugar and pressure are great, after being borderline.
My triglycerides are high, like 252. Strangely enough, everything else was perfect on my last blood work test. And I'm not crazy over weight or anything and ride a bike for transportation. But it can't be what I'm eating, because I don't eat all that terribly. It is definitely the beer that I drink. So cutting back is a good idea for health. Plus, I just feel better. I had a few samples, which probably amounted to about a pint yesterday, and gawd damn were they tasting good. I wanted to keep going... but refused and resisted (Sepultura!!).

Day 9. A beer would be good today. It's a hot one. But instead I'll try to finally get a bitter kegged. Instead of drinking I've been working on a kegerator. Go figure.

I did all of January alcohol-free. Partially it was because I was just exhausted from a long December of family and lots of food (and drink). I'm not into the detox movement but it did feel good to just ease off. I also think it's important for everybody to be able to "take it or leave it," whatever "it" may be in any one person's life. Good luck to any and all!

Thanks for supporting me and congrats on your hard work.

Great job for going with this.

This past Lent, I gave up drinking. 47 days without a drink. It was amazing how good I felt. Made me wonder why I drank. Then on day 48, I had a glass of Founders CBS and that gave me the answer as to why I drank.

DAY 15 - NO BEER:

Starting tomorrow I'll have more days behind me and fewer days remaining. That's a good feeling. Now over two weeks without a beer or any alcohol. Feeling quite good. Energized. Going to have to find some solid moderation when I return to the land of craft beer.

Easy day because I worked late and was too tired to even think about beer. Enjoyed some tacos for dinner and a delicious lemon bar for dessert. It's been nice to eat more calories instead of drinking them.

Thanks again to everyone for their support and chiming in on this thread.

15 down, 15 left.....

Congrats on your successes! I could probably benefit from something like this, but I'm committed to reducing the size of my cellar this year (it's a rough job, but...). I'm in the same boat as others where I'm wanting to work out more and be more active this summer. I got about halfway through this thread, when I realized I should probably read it while riding the stationary bike. It's not a lot, but it's more than nothing.

Congrats on your successes! I could probably benefit from something like this, but I'm committed to reducing the size of my cellar this year (it's a rough job, but...). I'm in the same boat as others where I'm wanting to work out more and be more active this summer. I got about halfway through this thread, when I realized I should probably read it while riding the stationary bike. It's not a lot, but it's more than nothing.

I hear ya. Kind of off topic but not really... I went out and bought a fancy bike rack for my car thinking I would go to the metro parks, and a nice bike of course... and the only thing I use my bike for now is to ride a mile down the road from my apartment to The Brew Kettle for a few pints haha.

DAY 15 - NO BEER:

Starting tomorrow I'll have more days behind me and fewer days remaining. That's a good feeling. Now over two weeks without a beer or any alcohol. Feeling quite good. Energized. Going to have to find some solid moderation when I return to the land of craft beer.

Easy day because I worked late and was too tired to even think about beer. Enjoyed some tacos for dinner and a delicious lemon bar for dessert. It's been nice to eat more calories instead of drinking them.

15 down, 15 left.....

Congrats to everyone, and thanks again ArizonaGoalie for being the catalyst for this change.

I'm also thinking about how I can balance my enjoyment of food & drink with a healthy lifestyle once this is over.

Day 2 was pretty easy for me. Sort of missed having a pint around 10 last night when things started to wind down, but ice water really hit the spot after a long day.
I'm fairly convinced I drink mostly when I'm bored. When I keep busy I often forget about the pint I poured 30 minutes ago and have to go looking for it.

Day 2 was pretty easy for me. Sort of missed having a pint around 10 last night when things started to wind down, but ice water really hit the spot after a long day.
I'm fairly convinced I drink mostly when I'm bored. When I keep busy I often forget about the pint I poured 30 minutes ago and have to go looking for it.

I'm the same way. I definitely drink when I'm bored, kind of eases the boredom for sure. I didn't have a beer until about 9pm last night, which is late for me for my first beer, and I only had just the one - a hefeweizen. Tasted good, and that's all I needed. I'm not on a break like these other guys, but I'm cutting back. I am feeling better, but not like miles-above-the-way-I-was-before better. It is definitely nice not thinking about beer so much, or thinking I need to drink my stock to keep it turning over, etc. A general change of attitude towards beer is the goal. Instead of thinking I need to drink so much to keep up with how much I want to brew, just drink moderately and don't worry about the rest. Treat beer as a treat, rather than a necessity. Plus, it tastes better when I don't drink it as much.

I'm the same way.

...A general change of attitude towards beer is the goal. Instead of thinking I need to drink so much to keep up with how much I want to brew, just drink moderately and don't worry about the rest. Treat beer as a treat, rather than a necessity. Plus, it tastes better when I don't drink it as much.

This is just the plan I have once the experiment is over. To look at beer/wine not as a reward or requirement but an enjoyable accent to a meal.

DAY 15 - NO BEER:

15 down, 15 left.....

I'm jealous! I've lost about 1/4 of my goal weight, so at least 6 weeks left, probably more.

This thread has been really inspirational. I think i am going to try something along these lines over the next couple of weeks. I find myself lately needing to have a few drinks after work in order to relax and destress from a very stressful job, its starting to worry me a bit. I think trying to eliminate the drink for a stint and replacing it with more exercise will achieve the same thing and help the waistline. i have a lake house vacation planned for a week starting july 4th i think i will give this a try starting in the next day or so and see how it goes. I'll post some progress etc on here if thats ok.

thanks

10 days. Got my bitter kegged last night. The hydrometer sample tasted good/like it should. I'm pumped for it to carb and try out my new system. But that first celebratory pint is still a week or two away. Have to make sure the system works. :D

This thread has been really inspirational. I think i am going to try something along these lines over the next couple of weeks. I find myself lately needing to have a few drinks after work in order to relax and destress from a very stressful job, its starting to worry me a bit. I think trying to eliminate the drink for a stint and replacing it with more exercise will achieve the same thing and help the waistline. i have a lake house vacation planned for a week starting july 4th i think i will give this a try starting in the next day or so and see how it goes. I'll post some progress etc on here if thats ok.

thanks

Welcome aboard and good luck! I've found that this thread has kept me honest, even though I could lie and get away with it.

I'm sure you'll be welcome to post your progress on here.

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder" or is that Absinthe?

We took our daughter out for lunch today to celebrate her elementary school promotion. Cheesecake Factory had the following beers on tap:

Lightning - Thunderwiezen
Alesmith - Nut Brown
Stone - IPA
Green Flash - West Coast IPA
Karl Strauss - Red Trolley
Stella Artois

All local San Diego except for Stella. All delicious. And after 15+ days without a brew, all looked mighty inviting. Hey - we're celebrating, right? It's okay to have just one on a special day.

NOPE.

It was torture, but I resisted. I opted for a piece of fresh strawberry cheesecake instead. :)

Day 16 rolls on.....

Way to go everyone, great to read about the self control at work and hear the results being achieved. I think many of us are finding that homebrew can sneak up on us and change our lives, in not great ways, if we aren't careful. While some indicators are visible, weight gain, others are only known to ourselves, lack of energy, poor sleep, a feeling that perhaps drinking this much is not normal. Whatever has triggered the realization, its good, you see a problem and are dealing with it head on or at least feel there could be a problem and nip it in the bud before it becomes a serious health or life issue. I think most of us know at least one person in our lives that has denied some form of addiction only to suffer the consequences. My own personal trigger was the realization that I will have much more time on my hands as I move towards retirement from fulltime work later on this year. I am preparing myself now to fill that void with constructive things rather than moving without thought into more drinking than I was already doing which for me at least was, beginning to become a concern. Those who are at day 1 to day 16, who have lost a bit or a lot of weight, keep going all of you, you are moving in the right direction!

Day 3, I feel like moving the beers from the fridge to the closet. They call to me whenever I open the fridge.

Day 3, I feel like moving the beers from the fridge to the closet. They call to me whenever I open the fridge.

I know the feeling. My fridge is stocked. Didn't really plan that part well before I started my 30 day beer-free lifestyle.

DAY 16 - BEERLESS:

Big food day made up for lack of beer. Going out to lunch today I realized that for some time I have been planning our meals out around beer. Today was the first time in a LONG time we planned it around FOOD. Hmmm...

Anyway, the restaurant had a few crafts on draft, but I resisted. I'm now on the other side of the hump and the countdown 'til my first beer is on.

My prediction is that it will be a Fat Tire on a Southwest flight. While not the ideal reintroduction, it's a craft beer classic, so it fits the bill. My real reintroduction will happen two days later when the wife and I hit one or two local SD breweries :tank:

14 days left....

Still plugging along. I have decided on a Duvel as my re-entry beer. That and a spicy grilled chicken with some mango salsa.

The weight continues to drop off slowly, but each day sees the number getting smaller and I keep reminding myself that this is a marathon, not a sprint. I'm interested in seeing if I can maintain the steady loss once I re-introduce beer. I think I'll be fine as long as I avoid the snacks.

Good job all, keep up the fight.

i just keep on plugging away but the idea of an ice cold beer is getting more and more appealing. In hindsight i wish i would of started a weekend earlier have a big party/BBQ on the 20th and fathers day on the 21st. lol great planning. Can honestly say that is going to be a hard weekend plus the fact that ill be 25 days in wont be helping either.

Oh well i knew it was going to be a challenge at times, will just make that first beer even better when my month is up.

I moved my kegerator to the basement to avoid even walking past it, feel your pain.

DAY 16 - BEERLESS:

Big food day made up for lack of beer. Going out to lunch today I realized that for some time I have been planning our meals out around beer. Today was the first time in a LONG time we planned it around FOOD. Hmmm...

Anyway, the restaurant had a few crafts on draft, but I resisted. I'm now on the other side of the hump and the countdown 'til my first beer is on.

My prediction is that it will be a Fat Tire on a Southwest flight. While not the ideal reintroduction, it's a craft beer classic, so it fits the bill. My real reintroduction will happen two days later when the wife and I hit one or two local SD breweries :tank:

14 days left....

Reminds me of being away from pizza and other fast foods when I would go on long coanoe trips as a teenager, all anyone talked about was what food they were going to eat when they got home.

Back