"Hypothetically", what if?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahilly

Reaction score
...one were to measure incorrectly when topping off their Scotch Ale wort and fermented 4 gallons instead of 5? And then what if that person bottled said 4 gallons of Ale and let it condition for a week before realizing what they had done. Hypothetically, that is?

As long as fermentation is done it will be fine, if not a little stronger and fuller bodied than what you were looking for. Might be really good!

"I know a guy" who has done something similar in the past. "He told me" that everything came out fine when he got 4 gallons of pale ale instead of 5.

"I know a guy" who has done something similar in the past. "He told me" that everything came out fine when he got 4 gallons of pale ale instead of 5.

You know him too? He told me that he thought it was better to bottle less than top up to more. I think he was right.

OG 1061
FG 1018

I decided to crack open the first one - drinking it as I type - It's goooood! and only 7 days in the bottle.

Hypothetically of course!

Wait til next week. It'll suck. Then once you hit three weeks in bottle it'll be very good and get even better over the following month.

Let's just say it was designed as a 70 shilling ale. You now have a 87 shilling 6 pence Ale, which violates the Style Guide & should be disposed of. Consider using it to water your lawn ... after proper processing, of course.

Latest posts

Back