Hydrometer worries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magno

Sound Level Technician
Reaction score
I finally broke my first hydrometer last brew session, and I got a new one to replace it. When I got home I tested it out in 70*F tap water and it read 0.995. I exchanged it out, and checked the new one at the store. It seemed alright (I think) but when i got home it read 70* water at 0.997. What gives? The guy at AHB said that sometimes the paper shifts, but it seems to me like it shifts way too easily.

Also, the original hydrometer had a metal weight at the bottom, these ones have wax or something. The first one floated straight up and down, these dont.

Im stuck with the one that I have right now, because Im bottling 3 batches tomorrow afternoon, I guess I'll just add 3 pts to the FG. Once its used, is a hydrometer returnable? Im at the point where I dont want one of theirs, Ill get one from somewhere else.

I guess its a little open-ended, but ... thoughts?

- magno

Hey,

Mine is calibrated @ 60F...you should see if yours in in fact 60F as well - I think 60 is the norm.

I am not sure abuot the wax/metal thingy though.

Cheers

Are you using tap water? It is possibly that the S.G. of your tap water isn't 1.000. You should check it with distilled water.

The hydrometer is claibrated at 60*F, but after correcting for temp, this one is still 2 points off.

Do you think that the tap water is responsible for it being two points low? I guess Im sceptical. Altitude too for that matter. Im in Austin, not in the mountains.

The first hydrometer read at 0.995, not 1.00995, the new one reads at 0.998.

Thanks,

- magno

Well, I don't know. Mine reads 1.000 in water. But if yours is off by .002, I think I'd just add .002 to all my readings and not try to exchange it again. One last thought- maybe leave the water out for a while and make sure it's still. Maybe the aerator on your faucet is making itty bitty bubbles? Spin the hydrometer and push it down, and see if that makes a difference.

Back