Hydrometer Use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtymartini

Reaction score
What is the best vessel to place your sample when using a Hydrometer? I tried usung the plastic tube the Hydrometer came in, but that didn't work very well, I don't think I got an accurate reading.

The tube the Hydrometer came in is probably too thin to allow the hydrometer to float in correctly. Anything that allows the hydrometer to float unhindered will work including a hydrometer sample jar.

5310_w2.jpg

What makes you think it wasn't accurate? It's very difficult to get a reading out by more than a couple of point's unless you're reading at an incorrect temperature and no correcting.

orfy said:
The tube the Hydrometer came in is probably too thin to allow the hydrometer to float in correctly. Anything that allows the hydrometer to float unhindered will work including a hydrometer sample jar.

5310_w2.jpg

What makes you think it wasn't accurate? It's very difficult to get a reading out by more than a couple of point's unless you're reading at an incorrect temperature and no correcting.

It didn't seem to be free floating in the tube.

dirtymartini said:
It didn't seem to be free floating in the tube.

That'll do it every time. You can get test jars for about $5.00 that are specially designed for the purpose. Just make sure the hydrometer floats freely in the jar.

-a.

Back