Hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taise

Reaction score
Newbie question for the experienced mazers - How do you take hydrometer readings on a 1 gallon batch? Do you pull some of the must out into a tube and then return it to the jug or just put the hydrometer into the jug and try to look through the side?

A.
Though I recently got a refractomter in the hope that I can stop having to do that... though my only batch since getting it was too high an OG to read on the refractometer... doh.

I sanitise the tube that the sample will go in, the hydrometer and my turkey baster.

I put the hydrometer into the testing tube jar, then draw the sample with the turkey baster. I draw enough must until I can clearly see the reading.

And yes I return the sample to the batch.

Been fine doing my tests like that so far (5 years).

Thanks. I have 2 batches of JOAM in their 2nd week right now and I was going to pick up 2 more 1 gallon carboys to start some pumpkin spice & apple pie meads in hopes they will be ready for Thanksgivings. The 2 new batches will be the first I need to take readings on.

Thanks. I have 2 batches of JOAM in their 2nd week right now and I was going to pick up 2 more 1 gallon carboys to start some pumpkin spice & apple pie meads in hopes they will be ready for Thanksgivings. The 2 new batches will be the first I need to take readings on.
Well, I'd have thought that only the oldest JAO "might" be ready by thanksgiving.

If you think that its normally 2 to 3 months for the JAO to clear and fruit too drop, plus I like to age mine for 6 months plus, as it doesn't say what Joe's original recipe says, I've never found it to my taste when it's first finished.

So you'll be cutting it fine.......

Latest posts

Back