Hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screech49

Reaction score
I am having a hard time reading my hydrometer. Can someone help me out? This is my original gravity. According to the recipe kit it was supposed to be 1.06.

image.jpg

I try to fill my test tube up so that it overflows when I drop the hydrometer in - seems to help a lot as it's very hard to read down in the tube surrounded by bubbles.

Looks like 1.08 to me so like 20 points over what is was supposed to be. It's in the wine category. Should I have stirred it up some before taking a sample. Also, is there really a point in taking hydrometer readings for extract kits?

haha, i was wondering what was going on there GinSlinger...

If your hydrometer says to read from the top of the minuscus, 1.080, if if says to read from the bottom, 1.082 or 1.081, hard to tell from that angle and sideways.

From the looks of the picture, with so much emppty space at the top of the test tube, your hydrometer may not be floating. If your hydrometer is floating the wort most likely is not sufficiently mixed. Your sample was from the area of the wort not mixed with the top off water. Kits usually come out at the listed OG.

Back