hydrometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noddin

Reaction score
Sorry to start a new thread but I can't seem to find an answer for this one.

When is it too late to take a FG hydro reading? I bottled up my homebrew last weekend but could not get a FG reading because my wife "accidentally" broke my hydrometer. I know it's not the end of the world not getting a FG reading but with this being my first brew I really wanted to know what it ended up at. New hydrometer arrived today. Now with it in bottles when I open one will I be able to take a reading or will the carbonation throw off the result?

thanks!

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can decant one of the bottles into another vessel and let it sit out until it warms up and goes flat. At that point I think you can get an FG reading that would be somewhat accurate. But, I would wait until the beer has finished carbonating first beause the yeast are still going to be active otherwise.

The carbonation will effect the reading a bit but you can knock most of the gas out by pouring the beer back and forth between a couple of glasses a buunch of times and letting it sit.

Back