Hydrometer Procedure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigC

Reaction score
I'm totally new to brewing. I've consumed my fair share of beer, so I figured I'd try my hand at making it. Right now I've got my first batch in the fermenter, and I have a question about using my hydrometer. When I take a sample from the fermenter I obviously sanitize my sampler first, but then I have 2 options. Can I also sanitize my cylinder and hydrometer and then put the beer back into the fermenter when I am done, or do I consider the beer that goes into the hydrometer to be beer sacrificed in the name of brewing? I know that in moving the beer back to the fermenter you are introducing another step where contamination can happen. I am interested in the proper procedure.

Personally I drink the sample. :) By the time I bother sampling (not including OG) it's beer, just flat. If you carefully sanitize everything you could certainly return the sample to the fermenter.

And welcome to HBT! :mug:

Don't bother with pouring the sample back in. It's a tiny amount of beer so losing it to your early consumption won't have much affect one way or the other. Plus, over time you will learn how your beers taste at different stages of fermentation; valuable information if you ask me.

I always drink the sample. I think it has helped me to tell how well a batch is "coming together". Usually my brews are heavy on the bittering hop side in the hydrometer tube but mellow and blend with the malt after conditioning.

Same as stated above. Drink it and get to know your brew better.

Yea i am brand spanking new to this too and when i took a sample to take a reading, i drank the cloudy, warm, flat mixture in the tube and it was delicious!

Redskins838892 said:
Yea i am brand spanking new to this too and when i took a sample to take a reading, i drank the cloudy, warm, flat mixture in the tube and it was delicious!

+1 :mug:

Back